Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone use this long arm kit yet

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 1996 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 5.2L
Default Did anyone use this long arm kit yet

So i was thinking of doing the long arm upgrade my xj this spring. so did anyone us this kit yet from rough country. it seems to be a nice kit. since you get a nice looking kinda beefy cross member, skid plate plus everything else for 649.95

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

its cheep, looks at Iron rocks claytons TNT then compare. the RC joints are tiny.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Year: 1996 1996 1997
Engine: 4.0L 5.2L

Originally Posted by Irongrave
its cheep, looks at Iron rocks claytons TNT then compare. the RC joints are tiny.
i would like to go with iron rock but i was told the right side with the single control arm isnt to good
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

dont go with RC, ive seen too many people go with their long arms and regret it later. do it right the first time and go with something good. for $100 more you can get a Froehlich 3 link. http://froehlichsuspension.com/3-link.htm and its a true 3 link, not a radius arm setup. they also make 4 links for $50 more than their 3 link: http://froehlichsuspension.com/4-link.htm

there are a lot more good options out there, just do some searching.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, but that looks weaker than the RC set up. I'm not a fan, and the links look thin. The RC joints are not as wimpy either, those are pretty good sized joints on the RC kit, at least the one's that are pictured...

We have several guys here that make LA set ups, why not check out their stuff too....just food for thought. FrankZ makes a nice LA set up, and I have seen it beat on....HARSHLY, and it comes back for more...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Sorry, but that looks weaker than the RC set up. I'm not a fan, and the links look thin. The RC joints are not as wimpy either, those are pretty good sized joints on the RC kit, at least the one's that are pictured...

We have several guys here that make LA set ups, why not check out their stuff too....just food for thought. FrankZ makes a nice LA set up, and I have seen it beat on....HARSHLY, and it comes back for more...
You talking about the solid links? I just did a quick calculation and in bending a 1.25" solid hex link would only be as strong as a 1.625" OD tube with 0.120" wall provided that the steel is the same on both links. If you get 0.250" wall 1.625" OD tube it would dominate (50% stonger) the solid hex.

Not sure why you'd want those solid links unless you are somehow denting a 0.250" wall link but not bending it.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Good info, thanks for the post!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Year: 1997

Good info, thanks for the post!!
No problem. It's pretty easy to calculate the moment of inertia I of a section of steel and compare it to another section using a site like this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/section...ies_menu.shtml

Moment of inertia has a linear relationship to deflection (strength in bending) so all you have to do is input your parameters and see what the I is. If it's 2x greater for one section than another then that piece will deflect half as much provided that load and length are the same.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by alaskan
No problem. It's pretty easy to calculate the moment of inertia I of a section of steel and compare it to another section using a site like this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/section...ies_menu.shtml

Moment of inertia has a linear relationship to deflection (strength in bending) so all you have to do is input your parameters and see what the I is. If it's 2x greater for one section than another then that piece will deflect half as much provided that load and length are the same.
Dang, really good info. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gobbs_stopper
i would like to go with iron rock but i was told the right side with the single control arm isnt to good
What do you mean? I run their LA set-up and love it! I know there's another member on here who runs their 6.5" LA kit and hasn't had any issues either.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Do you hear banjos?

To me, it makes more sense to use the diff side of the axle to attach the upper link. I feel that it is a lot stronger than the stamped steel piece, in the case of non CAD D30. The CAD axle is stronger there than the non CAD version. IRO uses the diff mount, rather than the passenger side mount, which gets cut off with the IRO set up. The only thing I dislike about the IRO kit, is the cam adjuster on teh upper link. I would prefer something like a collar set up or something, it just seems cheesy. It may be strong as hell, but I think it is a weak spot. I have been wrong before though...LOL!!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

To me, it makes more sense to use the diff side of the axle to attach the upper link. I feel that it is a lot stronger than the stamped steel piece, in the case of non CAD D30. The CAD axle is stronger there than the non CAD version. IRO uses the diff mount, rather than the passenger side mount, which gets cut off with the IRO set up. The only thing I dislike about the IRO kit, is the cam adjuster on teh upper link. I would prefer something like a collar set up or something, it just seems cheesy. It may be strong as hell, but I think it is a weak spot. I have been wrong before though...LOL!!
I agree with you there! I was a bit iffy about it at first, but it's held up just fine. *knock on wood*
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: whats left of a 91
Engine: one that makes noise

Originally Posted by gobbs_stopper
So i was thinking of doing the long arm upgrade my xj this spring. so did anyone us this kit yet from rough country. it seems to be a nice kit. since you get a nice looking kinda beefy cross member, skid plate plus everything else for 649.95

1. thats a radius kit not a 3 link, if you wanna go that route spend the extra money and get the TNT kit, its worth it
Originally Posted by CheapCherokee
dont go with RC, ive seen too many people go with their long arms and regret it later. do it right the first time and go with something good. for $100 more you can get a Froehlich 3 link. http://froehlichsuspension.com/3-link.htm and its a true 3 link, not a radius arm setup. they also make 4 links for $50 more than their 3 link: http://froehlichsuspension.com/4-link.htm

there are a lot more good options out there, just do some searching.
too bad he uses weak links and only 7/8 heims in his setup, i have his crossmember cause i figured save some time and buy it but i had to modify it a ton so i should have just built my own. but i run my own 3 link with 1.25 heims in 2" x .281 wall dom. much stronger than any "kit"
Old 01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

yea i have the IRO 6.5 LA too.. and i love it! came with everything.. at first i didnt like the 3 link but it is really well built and i have never had a problem... i love the new subframe- the center piece comes out so you can easily drop tranny/tcase without ripping your suspension off.. real sturdy though.

lol the old control arm brackets arent there any more- and i have sliders and stuff like that... just one of the few pics i have made a huge differnce.. it was this:

Last edited by Ianf406; 01-28-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I'd stay away from the RC kit. We put it on a buddys and caved in the crossmember the first trip out. And he doesn't wheel very hard.

Quick Reply: Did anyone use this long arm kit yet