Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive Winch Bumper Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The Definitive Winch Bumper Thread?

Hey all. I'm throwing this out there in the hopes that this can become a sticky. I love this site! It has helped me a lot, and I've tried to repay the good advice I've gotten 10 fold. However, what I find severely lacking on this forum (compared to other forums I'm a member of) is the number of meaningful, up-to-date stickies that have compiled common info that all or most of us would be interested in or find helpful.

Case in point... I'm in the market for bumpers. There's a bazillion threads on this site (and others) with bumper talk. Opinions, likes/dislikes, suppliers, prices, etc. But when it comes to winch bumpers, finding dimensional information is (no surprise) often as hard to find as those elusive side shots. Heck, even most of the fabricators won't take a simple side shot showing projection. Of course, that's probably because most of them stick out far enough for Van Halen to hold their next reunion concert on, and frankly, look like farm plows.

What I'm proposing is that we (meaning those that actually have a BRANDED, not homemade, winch bumper installed on their rigs) start collecting concise info in a structured way to help folks out. If all you great and knowledgeable folks would lend some answers to the list of question below, that would be great! And please, for the love of Jeeps, please don't guess at dimensions. No posting about "it's roughly 3-4 inches". Get a tape and measure it before posting, please! if possible, I'd like to later compile this info into a simple spreadsheet cross-reference and post an image file of it on the site for all to use.

1) Is your XJ pre-97 or post 96?

2) What brand is your winch bumper?

3) What name / model number (look it up on the mfr. site) is your winch bumper?

4) If you know it, how old is your bumper in years (not how long you've had it. Bumper models may have been updated by the mfr. over time)?

5) Measured straight out from the grill's vertical centerline, how far out does you winch bumper project (do not include D-rings or fairleads)?

6) Measured from the bottom of the grill insert at the grill's vertical centerline, how far down does your winch bumper hang (a framer's square is helpful for measuring this)?

7) Measured from the bottom of the parking light lens, how far down does you bumper hang at the ends?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

1. Pre 96
2. Nates 4x4
3. Slim line winch bumper
4. Unsure of design age
5. 9"
6. 7"
7. 3.5"
Attached Thumbnails The Definitive Winch Bumper Thread?-forumrunner_20130605_213517.jpg  

Last edited by wiggles; 06-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

1.) Pre 97
2.) L&L Fabrication
3.) Winch bumper with extended sides
4.) Never seen a design change in them

Will do last 3 in daylight and edit post.

The Definitive Winch Bumper Thread?-image-3692999248.jpg
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM

That's great guys! Thanks for contributing! While pictures aren't necessary, they are helpful in visualizing the dimensions.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

1) Post 96

2) Rigidco

3)FWB2K (K stands for Exocage Mount) I also have the Dirtbound Grill Hoop Kit on it

4) 1 Year old the bumpers have had one minor update

I will get measurements tomorrow

5) Measured straight out from the grill's vertical centerline, how far out does you winch bumper project (do not include D-rings or fairleads)?

6) Measured from the bottom of the grill insert at the grill's vertical centerline, how far down does your winch bumper hang (a framer's square is helpful for measuring this)?

7) Measured from the bottom of the parking light lens, how far down does you bumper hang at the ends?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
1) Post 96

2) Rigidco

3)FWB2K (K stands for Exocage Mount) I also have the Dirtbound Grill Hoop Kit on it

4) 1 Year old the bumpers have had one minor update

I will get measurements tomorrow

That is wicked!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

subd im trying to find out what whinch bumper i want too
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM

We're getting a start. Come on guys! I see tons of rigs on here with winch bumpers! You can help in creating a reference tool and possible sticky for the whole community! Take 5 minutes to measure your winch bumper and post the info here based on the questions in my original post.

Thank again for everyone that contributes!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Well, I don't think the perfect winch bumper can ever be built.
Because:
-a winch in front of a vehicle's radiator reduces air flow
-minimizing airflow reduction requires placing it a position that causes approach angle issues (and causes the "farm plow" look)
Having said that....the most intelligent designed ones that I have seen have actually been homebuilt, not "branded", bumpers. Manufacturers cut costs by making things out of the fewest parts and the easiest to assemble. Just saying....
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Bruce in Montana
Well, I don't think the perfect winch bumper can ever be built.
Because:
-a winch in front of a vehicle's radiator reduces air flow
-minimizing airflow reduction requires placing it a position that causes approach angle issues (and causes the "farm plow" look)
Having said that....the most intelligent designed ones that I have seen have actually been homebuilt, not "branded", bumpers. Manufacturers cut costs by making things out of the fewest parts and the easiest to assemble. Just saying....
Take a look at how rigidco mounts they don't skimp. Side plates and front crossmember sandwich plates with winch mount plates then the bumper skin. So a total of 26 bolts hold the bumper on