Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding On A Lift Kit For My First XJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:31 AM
XsV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Deciding On A Lift Kit For My First XJ

I think I have it narrowed down to these two guys:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...70-config.html

http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...fMTM3730-40013

I need a kit under $300 that will be good around town and for light trails, nothing major. I want it to still be as smooth as possible so I think one of these two should work. What do you guys think? Are these companies okay? Any others that I should look at instead?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

The first lift that I put on my Cherokee was the 3in rough country add a leaf lift. Ensure that your rear leaf springs are in good shape if your going with the add a leaf. Your ride will be a little more stiff. This is a pic of my Cherokee with the three inch lift and 30 inch tires.
Attached Thumbnails Deciding On A Lift Kit For My First XJ-0818110758a.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

A lot depends on the amount of lift your after, and how you want to go about doing it. For that price all it looks like are AAL kits for >$300 range. That might work out OK for you if your old leaf springs are in good shape, most aren't at their age.

IMHO a full spring package is the way to go for that very reason, besides having to take the old leafs apart to add the new leaf to them. Most of the kits include about the same some don't, I bought a Rustys Off Road 3" full spring package lift and it came with everything I needed to complete the install. By that I mean the correct hardware also the only extra I bought was a transfer drop kit for $28.

One thing I did learn here the last 18 mo or so was all springs are not equal. Some will sag rather quickly while others will over longer time periods like stock springs. My Rustys springs in 2 yrs have not sagged enough for me to be able to measure it if they have. The shocks like in any entry level kit leave something to be desired but work OK..

His kit ran me $438 and I have been well pleased with it so far. I had a new RC 4 1/2 lift kit here I took in on a trade and will tell you the Rustys kit looked better than it did for sure. You might consider saving a couple of more bucks and doing it right from the start it will last you longer.

BTY I ordered the front HD coils (180#) for mine because of the winch and winch bumper. The rear leafs carry a lot of extra weight also HD swing out tire carrier bumper and about 250# of cargo in the read for recovery/tools/air compressor/Lg. EMT first Aid kit/guns/ammo/kitchen sink all the time. When unloaded it still comes back to where it started at after the lift measured from the axle.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:37 PM
XsV

The only kits I have seen within my budget are add a leaf kits. The leafs on there do look fine, it's only an 01. What do you guys think about these two companies? Is there a better option that I am missing?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

No all the AAL's are about the same not much to them. Remember your springs are going on 14 yrs. old you can expect some sag on anything after that long.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM

Year: 1998

There are a lot of options in this lift and price range. Some other things to consider:

- A 3" lift will require track bar relocation (or a new track bar), could require a transfer case drop to avoid vibes, and extended brake lines are a good idea if you're going to flex it out. You'll also want longer sway bar connectors or quick disconnects. You will probably end up buying a few more parts than what come in any budget kit. A 2" lift is easy, but 3" or more starts to affect more systems like steering, brake lines, driveshaft angles, alignment, etc.

- If you have the tools and time, you could build a "bastard pack" with additional leaf springs out of an XJ, S10, etc. and have better performance than an AAL for less money. Consider piecing together your lift with 3" springs, a bastard pack, and other individual parts like JK Rubicon shocks. There is lots of great info on the board if you do some reading.

- If you want a more complete kit with better quality that you will be happier with in the long run, take a look at the Rubicon Express kits. Serious Offroad has good prices on them:
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...n/Lift-Kits/XJ

Edit: I just saw that your location is in Rexburg! I've been up there a bunch for work. If you go to the university, you've probably been in several rooms that I helped design.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6 4.0

Like stated above, it is a bit more involved than those pictures show. Generally you're going to get negative support on AAL's from people on the forum. You also need a track bar or relocation bracket, potential shims and/or slip yoke eliminator and you should consider control arms. I would suggest doing it right the first time, because if you go the cheap route from the start, you're going to spend more money later.
I've never heard of the second one, but people will generally tell you not to buy RC.
Also just FYI, post your lift questions here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/

I personally don't care if you start a new thread but it is encouraged to keep similar topics within the same threads.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM
XsV

Lots of good information, thank you guys! Definitely nice to have forum guys genuinely care about new guys. The whole reason I was looking into a lift in the first place is because the front right spring and shock are completely shot. Shocks are inexpensive but I figured while I was working on suspension I was just going to do it right and replace the springs too. If I didn't go higher than 2.5", would I have to worry about other adjustments (i.e. slip-yoke, driveshaft, etc.)?

Originally Posted by anarce
Edit: I just saw that your location is in Rexburg! I've been up there a bunch for work. If you go to the university, you've probably been in several rooms that I helped design.
I do attend the college here! Great place, very friendly people. I'm originally from the Bay Area so the culture is definitely different!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM
XsV

Originally Posted by burg3rlicious
I personally don't care if you start a new thread but it is encouraged to keep similar topics within the same threads.
my bad!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by XsV
Lots of good information, thank you guys! Definitely nice to have forum guys genuinely care about new guys. The whole reason I was looking into a lift in the first place is because the front right spring and shock are completely shot. Shocks are inexpensive but I figured while I was working on suspension I was just going to do it right and replace the springs too. If I didn't go higher than 2.5", would I have to worry about other adjustments (i.e. slip-yoke, driveshaft, etc.)?

I do attend the college here! Great place, very friendly people. I'm originally from the Bay Area so the culture is definitely different!
The receptionist in my office recently inherited a high mileage XJ from her sister which had been used to tow a horse trailer, and the rear springs were sagging bad. I helped her husband put a budget boost on it because of the same reasoning - you're gonna be in there replacing parts anyway, might as well lift it a little at the same time. She was also bummed because her Jeep was the same height as a Subaru Outback in our parking lot.

If you're on a budget and just want a small lift while replacing worn out parts, I would stick with the 2" height and keep it simple. You can always go higher later when you have more time/money and know exactly what you want. A 2" lift is still noticeable and you can run 30" tires (bigger with some trimming).

A budget boost with spacers is cheapest, but if your coil springs are bad too that won't work. If you want to buy an all-in-one kit and you're ok with AAL, consider this one:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-leaf-kit.html

You could also piece it together from various parts, such as JK Wrangler take-off shocks (usually cheap and easy to find), ZJ coil springs (I think give you 1"-2" of lift) or XJ Upcountry springs (1" lift), a bastard pack leaf spring, etc.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM
XsV

Originally Posted by anarce
If you're on a budget and just want a small lift while replacing worn out parts, I would stick with the 2" height and keep it simple. You can always go higher later when you have more time/money and know exactly what you want. A 2" lift is still noticeable and you can run 30" tires (bigger with some trimming).

A budget boost with spacers is cheapest, but if your coil springs are bad too that won't work. If you want to buy an all-in-one kit and you're ok with AAL, consider this one:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-leaf-kit.html
Good to know. I'm okay with adding a leaf, not ideal but it will work. Really though, and you guys can take my man card right here and now, I just don't want it to be too bumpy so the wife doesn't complain.

2" shouldn't be too big of a deal and I have heard good things about Rusty shocks.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6 4.0

I've never been okay with Aal's but it's all preference. They just end up sagging with the rest of the spring over time anyway, that's why a full pack is worth it. You should also check out
http://m.quadratec.com/products/?cn=JKS+Manufacturing+ACOS+Coil+Spacer+System&pn=1 6156.000%2C16156.020
These are adjustable cover coil spacers that can level out a lift or saggy springs. Here's an install video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0leFEB5LbE
Check out some of Bleepinjeeps stuff on YouTube, it's incredibly helpful.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

IMO, you wont get a good ride quality out of either of those. Keep saving your money and buy some 3.5" RE coils, new lower control arms that are longer than stock, new 3" leaf packs, and some Bilstein 5100 shocks. Trail master should be thrown out of our options.

Rough country springs are soft and will sag. Hell, to even be cheaper, call RC and get their 3" leaf packs and some LCA's. Buy front springs and shocks somewhere else.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Hello all, I'm a brand new XJ owner myself and have a lot of questions as well. I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between the RE super ride and super flex short arm kits? And also if I went with one of those what else would be required as far as extra work if I went with one of the 3.5" kits?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

SuperFlex kits use the SuperFlex joint for increased articulation offroad.
SuperRide kits use the SuperRide bushings for better on-road characteristics.

Quick Reply: Deciding On A Lift Kit For My First XJ