Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble after installing cavfab 1ton heim steering?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Unhappy Death wobble after installing cavfab 1ton heim steering?!

Hi all, I installed new cavfab high clearance 1 ton steering with heim joints. I am not running a steering stabilizer on the steering right now At the same time, I installed new ball joints, u joints, and hubs. I get bad death wobble around ~50mph to the point of me having to slow down to 5mph to regain control. All heims and jam nuts are tightened to spec. I did a driveway alignment and if my measurements are correct, I should be 3/16 toed in at the moment. I am running an IRO double shear trac bar under the axle. I'm pretty sure that my trac bar not being parallel to the drag link will only cause bumpsteer, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The trac bar seems to be in good shape and I double checked that the axle side bolt and the frame side bolt and mount was tight. I am totally lost on this one. Maybe bad alignment? Maybe unbalanced tires? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you go over the knuckle or under the knuckle ?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Post a pic of your front end. Air pressure plays a role in death wobble, make sure your tires have the correct and equal pressure.

If you installed your steering OTK and are still running UTA track bar then most likely this is your problem. Not sure what kind of lift you have but if you have a drop pitman arm you can try putting a stock pitman arm on to help get a closer angle to match your draglink.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Re: DW

Thanks for the replies guys. I am running my tie rod utk and the drag link is otk. I will upload some pics here soon
Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would go get an actual alignment, re-check the track bar and from there I would say tire pressure/balance issue.

When you drilled the knuckles did you make sure you didnt oversize the holes? The bolts should be a snug fit in the knuckles.

How much lift? What size tires?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Default Re: DW

Here's a pic of the set up: I'm getting an alignment and tires balanced as we speak. Will update after
Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
I would go get an actual alignment, re-check the track bar and from there I would say tire pressure/balance issue.

When you drilled the knuckles did you make sure you didnt oversize the holes? The bolts should be a snug fit in the knuckles.

How much lift? What size tires?
when i drilled it the knuckles and the pitman arm, I used a reamer to help me stay centered and I had no issues with it wandering so I think the holes are proper size
Old 05-16-2017, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Chrisstickle
Here's a pic of the set up: I'm getting an alignment and tires balanced as we speak. Will update after
Run your draglink on top of your pitman arm. Your angles are way off.
The following users liked this post:
Kuro89 (02-04-2024)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

This is what it should look like. Im 3.5" lift with cavfab steering and iro track bar.
Name:  IMG_20170512_171442_831_zpsaycgi33j.jpg
Views: 11378
Size:  193.4 KB
Old 05-16-2017, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
Run your draglink on top of your pitman arm. Your angles are way off.
^Ditto, put it on top of the pitman, your Draglink and TB angles need to be as close to parralel as possible.
Kuro89 (02-04-2024)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
^Ditto, put it on top of the pitman, your Draglink and TB angles need to be as close to parralel as possible.
Thabks for the input guys I just ran it to the top of my pitman arm. I also just got an alignment and got my tires balanced. I didn't get DW up to 55mph but when I hit a pothole around 50 I could feel it wanting to go. When I adjusted my draglink to the top of the pitman, I think the hole in the pitman might be a little too big. There is room for just a little wiggle room inside. Obviously when I torque it down it doesn't move. I had my dad turn the wheel back and forth doo could take a look and the drag link knocks up and down when the wheels switch direction. I know the heims allow for pivoting movement but it knocks pretty aggressively. I can feel the knock in the bolt on the pitman so I'm not sure if it's caused by the draglink moving or the bolt moving in the pitman.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Default DW Update

I got my tires balanced and aligned, I switched the drag link to the top of the pitman, and my buddy has the same steering as I do and he didn't end up using his stabilizer mount or fox stabilizer so I slapped that on. Also, when I went to make sure all of my jam nuts and trac bar was tight, I went and tighted up my control arms. The driver side control arm was very loose at the axle and frame end. I've got up to 70mph and over bumps at speed and no DW. I'll keep an eye on it but it's driving nicely at the moment!
That Jeep Guy XJMJ (02-08-2024)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking it was maybe that lose control arm,But ill pray for you it don't come back again.Thats the only thing bad about these jeeps to me any part of the whole front suspension wrong you get death wobble.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

might also check the steering box spacer. a cracked one can provide some wiggle. glad yuou got it i figured out. Make sure your Control Arms are properly torqued after you drive it around. They will loosen and settle a tad bit.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I'm thinking it was maybe that lose control arm,But ill pray for you it don't come back again.Thats the only thing bad about these jeeps to me any part of the whole front suspension wrong you get death wobble.
FWIW, my DW was caused by a wallowed out from LCA hole. I think the wallow was created because I was running short arms on 6" of lift, so much of the jounce input from the road was going through that joint into the CAs instead of up through the spring.

I fixed the wallowed out holes by welding on washers, and then upgraded to long arms which I really needed anyway at that lift height.