Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble

Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default death wobble

hey everybody its been a while since ive been on here but i am in need of some real help. i just put on some 10 inch wide d window wheels that are brand new and properly balanced and now i am experiencing severe death wobble, so much as to i almost flipped the jeep on the highway. im not sure how to go about fixing this problem since i am almost completely broke. if any of you out there have any information on how i can tackle some of this issue to make it safe to drive in a cheaper manner that would be great.

it sucks that summer is almost over an i havent hardly driven the xj. i really want to get it fixed up enough to enjoy driving it for the rest of the summer.

thanks for the guys. and if this isnt the right place to post this please direct me to where i should post it. thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure all your bolts are tight.
Balljoints
wheel bearings
if it's not supposed to have play, make sure it doesn't.
Alignment
Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 AM

ill definitely check all that. thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

This write-up is byTJ Walker. Best I've ever seen.

My understanding of "death wobble" is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension "traumatic" event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes theother components to react. This is called the "multiplier effect", where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious. other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with "death wobble", as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on "death wobble" causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things! From my personal experience, I would first concentrate on the track bar and the control arms and associated bushings.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear and see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

Tom Walker
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM

If it started after u put new wheels on...try putting the old wheels back on and see if it goes away...that way u can eliminate that possibility or pinpoint it to the wheels
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I think the wheels might only exacerbate an existing problem, not necessarily CAUSE the problem.

The backspacing is different so the wheels will stick out further. This might be putting a little more stress on some worn parts, where the stock wheels just hid the problem.

I put on my D-Windows before I did my lift and never got the slightest hint of Death Wobble, but after the lift, I get it pretty bad at times.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 PM

my old xj developed some death wobble and simply rotating the tires got rid of it
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm not sure it's the wheels, I checked the back spacing on my old wheels which were already non stock and they are both 4 inches. I just went from a 7 inch wide wheel to a 10 inch wide. I think my track bar might be part of the problem. I remember about a year ago I had issues with the bolt coming loose. But I'm sure there are many other worn components since everything looks original and it's an 88. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM

If your trackbar is loose it could defiantly cause...I'd start replacing anything that is worn out and has slop in it
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Would it be a good idea to start using upgraded parts if accessible?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by squeakj86
Would it be a good idea to start using upgraded parts if accessible?
Yes unless you plan on selling it soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 AM

Well then that's what I'll do and hopefully I can tackle this problem.