Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:: Dash Camera:: cheap $15 upgrade PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default :: Dash Camera:: cheap $15 upgrade PICS

Dash camera: ONLY $15 !!!! great upgrade on the cheap!
Only has 3/5 stars on amazon and i will admit the video quality is not the best. 720p at most. High enough image quality to identify a license plate number out to 15 yards. But certainly good enough quality to use in case of an accident such as getting cut off.
The suction cup mount is SUPERB. did not come down once in a year of usage. This thing has been up through a HOT atlanta summer and has been working fine. no over heating.
I just have it wired through the headliner, down the A-pillar, and to the 12 volt car plugin that is wired through the ignition, so it turns on and off with the engine. however there is battery power so in case of witnessing something or needing a camera in a tight situation, you can easily grab it and turn it on with the button on the dashcam. the battery is supposed to last ~1 hour. I have not tested this out however.

Night vision mode is a stretch, but as long as you have your headlights on it gives enough image quality to make out all the cars on the road in front of you.

Also it looks like a radar detector in the case that a police officer demands to use it as evidence, you can play it off as a radar detector (IF you are looking to not have it used against you or someone else) - unlikely, however this is an advantage over other dash cameras.

Needs a class 10 full size SD card. you can set it to record in 30sec/1min/3min/5min intervals. It automatically writes over old content. I have a 16bg card in there so it should store well over 3 hours of video. i.e. you have 3 hours to remove any data you want after it has happened.

i highly recommend to anyone who wants a BASIC dashcam. At $15 why not!

Name:  IMG_20160213_175750_zpsmgbnhozp.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  130.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20160213_175736_zpsrijnpsme.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  89.3 KB
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Amazon.com : 2.5-Inch HD Rotatable LED IR DVR Video Camcorder with Camera Holder : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics Amazon.com : 2.5-Inch HD Rotatable LED IR DVR Video Camcorder with Camera Holder : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Very interesting - at $15 even though I don't really NEED it, why not? Might come in handy!

How did you do all the wiring? I know you said something about wiring to the ignition but I'm atrocious at wiring and need some more detail
Old 02-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by j4mison
Very interesting - at $15 even though I don't really NEED it, why not? Might come in handy!

How did you do all the wiring? I know you said something about wiring to the ignition but I'm atrocious at wiring and need some more detail
$15, why not! That is exactly what I thought!

The camera comes with a ~8 foot usb cable for power. I tucked the cable in the headliner where it meets the front windshield. Over to the A-pillar. then down to below the glove box. From there i just have it ran over to the cigarette lighter outlet. I have been meaning to cut off the cigarette lighter plug and just wire it to the fuse box at the kick panel. But it works fine in the cigarette lighter. The camera turns itself on and off with the ignition. Just like your radio.

here is a photo of the plug. (non need to unplug and plug back in. just leave it plugged in and the camera will come on and off with the radio and such)
Name:  IMG_20160213_175826_zpsfecgugcg.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  153.3 KB
Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by BigC9164
$15, why not! That is exactly what I thought!

The camera comes with a ~8 foot usb cable for power. I tucked the cable in the headliner where it meets the front windshield. Over to the A-pillar. then down to below the glove box. From there i just have it ran over to the cigarette lighter outlet. I have been meaning to cut off the cigarette lighter plug and just wire it to the fuse box at the kick panel. But it works fine in the cigarette lighter. The camera turns itself on and off with the ignition. Just like your radio.

here is a photo of the plug. (non need to unplug and plug back in. just leave it plugged in and the camera will come on and off with the radio and such)

oh well dang I thought you had to buy wiring and everything and hook them all up! I can definitely just plug it in haha! I'm definitely ordering this, thanks for the idea.

also, digging the kydex holster always wanted to mount my ruger in my xj.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I've got the same one works pretty good