Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damaged synthetic winch rope.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default damaged synthetic winch rope.

Has anyone else encountered damaged rope? I have a new rope that I have used once. It was a straight on pull out of mud using a ****** block anchored to another Jeep . When I went to clean the rope later and inspected it, I found several burn marks like this one and the entire line itself was full of loose fibers.

What could have possibly caused this? I controlled the line from outside of the Jeep to ensure it fed on the spool nicely.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

Originally Posted by FleXJ01
Has anyone else encountered damaged rope? I have a new rope that I have used once. It was a straight on pull out of mud using a ****** block anchored to another Jeep . When I went to clean the rope later and inspected it, I found several burn marks like this one and the entire line itself was full of loose fibers.

What could have possibly caused this? I controlled the line from outside of the Jeep to ensure it fed on the spool nicely.
The winch probably heated up.. Winches heat up fast. And if the jeep was stuck enough and you were using it long enough it could have easily burned it if it came into contact with the winch. I can't see the picture so I'm just giving a guess. Don't pay too much attention to me lol.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM

lets try this again:

It wasn't running but a few minutes . I wll have to check again and see how far apart the burns are. thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Did you use any kind of heat shield between the drum and line? I have heard from a few people that you should to keep the heat away from the line. I'm poor and still run steel cable. I hope to upgrade someday.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

What kind of winch? my Superwinch LP8500 explicitly says in the manual to stay away from synthetic rope, due to the heat issue I imagine...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM

smitty Xrc8.

Did you use any kind of heat shield between the drum and line?
It comes with a 3 foot shield but it is meant for the hook end to protect from rocks and what not. I guess if they replace I will get one for both ends...
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by FleXJ01
smitty Xrc8.

It comes with a 3 foot shield but it is meant for the hook end to protect from rocks and what not. I guess if they replace I will get one for both ends...
The second pic is normal for some little hairs to be like that on all of the Syn Lines I've used on my M8000 on my TJ and on my XRC8 Comp on the XJ . As far as the first pic thats pretty nasty, You should also do your winching in intervals to avoid heat. I've done a few pulls this winter with 8 wraps left on the drum and my line does not have the burn marks like yours. I will winch for 10 seconds and let it rest for 10 seconds , Winch for 10 seconds , Let rest for 10 seconds . ect.....

Here is a pic I just snapped of mine BTW my winch is a Year old

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 04-13-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added Pic
Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart..._on_the_trail/

http://www.krissplicing.com/repairin...winch-line.php
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

If you have the XRC 8 and it came with steel rope then you should not be using syn rope on it because of the heat it generates.

If you have the XRC 8 Comp then it came with a 3 foot sleeve that is used to wrap around the drum to protect the rope from heat. It is a heat sleeve not an abrasion sleeve since the comp series also uses an in the drum braking system (junk for syn rope).

I'd suggest that if you purchase another winch down the road and you want a true syn rope winch then you should look for a winch with an external braking system instead of cheap rebranded crap. There are companies that warn about in the drum brakes and won't sell a syn rope winch that has in the drum brakes because it is dangerous. Superwinch includes a warning on all of their in the drum winches that syn rope is not to be used on them.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Year: 93

I can't tell from the pics, but is it frayed and melted or just frayed? Is there a hard lump of fibers stuck together inside the line?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by XJriot
If you have the XRC 8 and it came with steel rope then you should not be using syn rope on it because of the heat it generates.

If you have the XRC 8 Comp then it came with a 3 foot sleeve that is used to wrap around the drum to protect the rope from heat. It is a heat sleeve not an abrasion sleeve since the comp series also uses an in the drum braking system (junk for syn rope).
I just pulled out my XRC Manual I did not know that hell I even worked for 4WP they told us the black sleeve was used to rest on rocks and other rough surfaces ............... F'N Jackass company reps , I should have know better then to listen to those non wheeling ****s who drive F350's with 22" rims with 35's

Thank you for the info and here are pictures of the page for the SYN ROPE

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 04-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM

So I got a replacement rope. Some one wants to trade me a new warn steel cable and roller for my new rope and fairlead. Think I should do it ? When I bought the winch I knew I was getting a cheaper winch, but didn't really know about types if ropes and that this is the most basic open weave style.

Also I just read same thing , but A: smitty always pictures it on the hook end , and B: there is not enough sleeve to cover the drum, would need 2 or more to do so. So I can't see that provided sleeve doing anything for heat. C: that big mark in my first pic is maybe 10' from the hook so it Couldn't have been caused by drum heat .
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM

Trade and $100 that is .
Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, keep the rope and add another sleeve to it.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Year: 1996

I would trade it. That's not a burn, it's an abrasion, and if it will shred like that without you noticing there is probably an issue with the rope being low quality. Steel cables are heavy but they've been successfully used for decades. I would take a good quality steel cable over a poor quality synthetic any day.

Quick Reply: damaged synthetic winch rope.