Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO I6
Default Cranks but won't start.

So I've searched on here a ton, and I've found a lot of material but I still don't seem to have a handle on what's going on. My jeep was running fine...perfect in fact and then...
It now cranks like crazy but won't catch. I checked the spark which is good...plus if I put starter fluid in the intake it starts right up. Crank position sensor is new (from another battle I had with this beast!) I also just installed new wires, rotor, cap, cam sensor, plugs...also from that beastly battle. All this seemed to work and I was driving around without issue for a few days. I had added a new ground to help with a low voltage issue I was having...unfortunately it contacted the exhaust and burned...So I'm afraid I might have burned something up! I have fuel pressure at the rail and I checked (switched) the ASD relay but that didn't seem to do a thing. I think I have isolated the problem to the injectors not pulsing (noid light). Now what the hell do I do? I have changed all the fuses that could be culprits in the power control box and the kick panel. I guess I need to know how to check to see if my ECU or PCM has power? ...and if not where to go from here. Any help would be very very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: HO I6
Default Update

Ok so I re-checked the fuel pressure and it is more than adequate. In addition I checked the injector pulse with a noid light and they are all pulsing. The vehicle has spark, fuel, compression (140-150# tested). I am at a complete f'ing loss....and a bit tipsy from all the damn beer today consumed trying to fix this darn thing! Please help!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1989
Engine: Inline 6

im having a similar issue with my 89. it starts sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. my ex-mechanic uncle says its probably a short in the wiring somewhere, its just a matter of figuring out where. however, iv checked all the wires and i dont see anything wrong with them......