Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of small questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Couple of small questions

Hey guys,

I've been having trouble finding answers on the internet for a couple questions I have about my rig. It's a 1999 XJ I just got a couple months ago. It's currently running a 4" lift with 33" tires.

1) Where the steering stabilizer mounts to the front axle, it's really starting to rust out and I can't tighten the bolt as tight as it should be because the metal starts to collapse. I know it's causing there to be play when I hit a bump as I do get a lot of bump steer. I know that a steering stabilizer shouldn't be needed and blahblah but it's not perfect. Does anyone know if there is any aftermarket stabilizer setup that utilizes a mounting point that isn't stock?

2) Does anyone know of any aftermarket fog lights/harness converters I can use to hook up to my factory fog light harness? I bought it missing the lights and would like to know if they make male plugs to fit in and wire up some LEDs or something.

3) Keyless entry: It says on the original new car reciept that it came with keyless entry, however there is no remote. Anyone know of a way I can buy a remote and have it programmed or do I have to go to a dealership and spend a million dollars?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The steering stabilizer is not really needed it just mask problems you have,I would figure out whats causing the bump steer and fix that.For the fog lights i would just buy whatever set you like and run a new harness its easier and new.Same thing goes for the key less entry i would go aftermarket so everything is new.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I would go to a pick n pull and get a "new" mounting bracket for the stabilizer...
Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

1) I know dual steering stabilizer setups change the mounting location. Beyond that I'm not too well versed in stabilizers, so might be worth looking into.

2) Have you first confirmed that your factory fog light switch works? Cuz usually they crap out just by looking at them. I don't know of anything that is plug and play for the fogs.

3) You can buy the key fobs on eBay and save some money there, but the dealership still has to program them to your Jeep.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I bought a new fob and had it programmed at a dealership for under $100 for my 99 same here never know I had it till I got a build sheet. That way all the OEM things work with it.