Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)

I asked JCR Offroad if they had anything that would reinforce the steering box on my 96 XJ... They linked this item..

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJUNF-PC.html

Could someone check that out and see if that does actually reinforce the box ? It seems to be directed at mounting their after market bumper. It does come with a new steering box spacer but from what I have seen there is more to reinforcing than installing a new spacer. Are these brakets allowing install of new bumper plus reinforcing box ?
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have a reinforcement plate on mine and a brace that runs over to the frame.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

like you said the spacer is the steering box reinforcement. The original one is in aluminum and pretty weak. When installing the unibody tie-ins, it's most likely going to break so this is why it comes with the kit. If you're only looking for that piece and not the rest, maybe adding another plate where you bolt the steering box could help, but as far as I know, that's what you need to reinforce the box.

You can probably ask them if they sell it alone, or just look for another company selling only that piece.

Last edited by Cane; 12-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cane
like you said the spacer is the steering box reinforcement. The original one is in aluminum and pretty weak. When installing the unibody tie-ins, it's most likely going to break so this is why it comes with the kit.

You can probably ask them if they sell it alone, or just look for another company selling only that piece.
They do sell the spacer alone however the reinforcement kits I have seen add steel plates to keep the bolts from ripping through the frame... meaning you need more than a new spacer. Guess I need to get more clarification. I plan on getting their bumpers later so probably best to go with the full kit.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RickJames Bish
They do sell the spacer alone however the reinforcement kits I have seen add steel plates to keep the bolts from ripping through the frame... meaning you need more than a new spacer. Guess I need to get more clarification.
Yeah I checked other products and you're right (you could probably get your own sheet metal and drill the holes). But the thing is that JCR sells this kit as a unibody tie-in / reinforcement for their bumpers, so the plate you add on the other side of the frame is used to reinforce both the box and the bumper. It's a bit pricey if you only want to steering box kit without the whole bumper kit.

basically what you need is that kit but only the driver side.

look here : http://www.c-rok4x4.com/#!product/pr...einforcing-kit

it's basically the same thing, except it's only the driver side.

Last edited by Cane; 12-14-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cane
Yeah I checked other products and you're right (you could probably get your own sheet metal and drill the holes). But the thing is that JCR sells this kit as a unibody tie-in / reinforcement for their bumpers, so the plate you add on the other side of the frame is used to reinforce both the box and the bumper. It's a bit pricey if you only want to steering box kit without the whole bumper kit.

basically what you need is that kit but only the driver side.

look here : http://www.c-rok4x4.com/#!product/pr...einforcing-kit

it's basically the same thing, except it's only the driver side.
Thanks for the link. That looks promising. I'm waiting on JCR to respond about their kit allowing me to use my stock bumper. I plan on getting their bumper kit and it might save a step to go ahead and get it from them.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Unless I'm mistaken, you can use their kit with the stock bumper, but I wouldn't trust the stock bumper brackets, that would be the only thing I'd be concerned about. Even if you have the strongest tie-ins, weak/stock bumper brackets would probably break if you try getting pulled out of a pretty deep mud hole by a vehicle heavier than you.

If it's temporary then just make sure you don't use it as a recovery point, but if it's to offroad like that, I'm not sure it would be worth getting tie-ins.

Last edited by Cane; 12-14-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

If you want a good steering brace here you go

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...Brace_p_8.html
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
If you want a good steering brace here you go

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...Brace_p_8.html

I have never saw one that was that high but it should work really HD. If your on a budget look at Rustys he has a cheaper brace but you need to strengthen the frame to keep it from cracking between the bolt holes in the frame.

I warned my son about that but he blew me off till his cracked between every bolt hole the bolts were very loose also. Took several hours of welding to repair it correctly on the weak assed XJ frames. Large tires, offset wheels, on and off road all work on the steering box a lot on these a known problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I have never saw one that was that high but it should work really HD. If your on a budget look at Rustys he has a cheaper brace but you need to strengthen the frame to keep it from cracking between the bolt holes in the frame.

I warned my son about that but he blew me off till his cracked between every bolt hole the bolts were very loose also. Took several hours of welding to repair it correctly on the weak assed XJ frames. Large tires, offset wheels, on and off road all work on the steering box a lot on these a known problem.
kids like to learn things the hard way, dont ask me how i know.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:06 PM

Year: 2000

X2 on the boostwerks kit I installed it on my 2000 made all the difference in the world that thing is stout
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: stock I6

Bracing the end of the sector shaft like the Boostwerks kit is the way to go. It's also the only system that will make the box stronger and will continue to do so even after frame plating/upgrades.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Year: 2001

I'm putting in the JKS frame parts first. Then plating everything else while I'm in there.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)-xj_frameinner.jpg   Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)-xj_frameouter.jpg   Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)-xj_frameplates.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Ok so it looks like the JCR Offoad one I linked will solve the problem of the bolts ripping through the frame but do I also need to get a steering brace as well ?

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 12-16-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Definitely would help. If you have the money for one I'd get it.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Reinforcement (96 XJ)