Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Couple questions

Ok, so I'm getting a bds 3" full leaf lift at the end of this month and I want to try and keep my xj around the same mpg as it is now (18-20)

I'm going to install a new fuel filter, pour in seafoam, new o2 sensor( prob k&n) and I was thinking about putting in a cai(cold air intake) but I started reading into it and idk if I do now.
I live in michigan so I have bi polar weather to say the least and I don't know how the cai will handle the below 0 weather. I also heard that instead of a cai people but in an engine block heater but I don't know how that works and if it will be good in summer.

So I'm asking which should I get to improve my mpg, if I should get a cai should I get aem or k&n, or what else can I do to improve it other than a new exhaust and fuel injectors because I don't have the money for that this year

Also which 31's should I get and do 31s fit on the stock trunk rack or do I need a external rack?
Bf goodrich all terrain, I read that they don't do so hot in snow, or Goodyear wrangler duratrack, I read they become un aligned or sumthin like that
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

I would start with the lift and see what sort of MPG you actually get afterward. Every vehicle responds uniquely to these alterations and at 3" you may not even notice a significant drop. I put my 3" on, changed fluids in all the gearboxes, ran a fuel system cleaner through, and drove off getting better MPG than I did stock.

As far as the tires go, I run 31" BFG a/t's and think they are a great all around tire. There are probably better snow tires out there, but I have never had any real problems driving in snow with them. Are you talking 6" of powder or 6 foot snow drifts? Can't speak for the Wranglers . . .
Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Run a good oil, like amsoil or royal purple- everywhere in your jeep, get some good plugs, throttle body spacer/larger throttle body spacer helps, dont drive like a retard (which i do sometimes...)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by GreenJay
I would start with the lift and see what sort of MPG you actually get afterward. Every vehicle responds uniquely to these alterations and at 3" you may not even notice a significant drop. I put my 3" on, changed fluids in all the gearboxes, ran a fuel system cleaner through, and drove off getting better MPG than I did stock.

As far as the tires go, I run 31" BFG a/t's and think they are a great all around tire. There are probably better snow tires out there, but I have never had any real problems driving in snow with them. Are you talking 6" of powder or 6 foot snow drifts? Can't speak for the Wranglers . . .
Sweet, thanks for the info on both. Do you guys know how a cai works in winter?

And greenjay, dose your spare 31 fit in the trunk tire holder or do I have to get an external?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM

My current spare hasn't quite caught up with the rest of my tires. I have a 235/75/15 spare sitting there now, and it fits on the standard trunk mount. Just barely though. A 31" spare would be a tight squeeze - may need to get creative with the mounting - i'm sure you could make it work somehow.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GreenJay
My current spare hasn't quite caught up with the rest of my tires. I have a 235/75/15 spare sitting there now, and it fits on the standard trunk mount. Just barely though. A 31" spare would be a tight squeeze - may need to get creative with the mounting - i'm sure you could make it work somehow.
sweet, thanks for the info. heres a good starter idea for a tire rack, i think i might do it if i cant make a rack from scrach

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ho...x5/#post256218
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM

That hitch mount rack it pretty cool. Yeah, tailgate mounting is definitely the way to go. I had my spare up high on my roof for a while, but realized it's a PITA to get down when you need it. And in the back it takes up cargo room.

You should check out Detours bumpers. Do a forum search on "Detours tailbone". People here rave about them. This is the route I plan on taking when the $$ appears.