Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Core 4x4 Long Arms Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust
Default Core 4x4 Long Arms Review

Alright so my IRO long arms have finally after 200,000 rough miles reached the end of their life. I've rebuilt them several times but the ends are so wallowed out that it clanks and rattles. Not a complaint on them- they lasted along time and did their job well.

So I started looking around- saw Core 4x4 had a new set of arms which are constructed from 5/16 tube (thicker than everyone else to my knowledge) and have the trusty old Johnny Joint on the end. The subframe comes out easily (which has been a great feature of the IRO kit) and although it lacks any Tcase protection, so do most of the other kits and I have yet to have an issue with it. There are virtually no reviews on them and they are priced below average.

So I ordered a set! Almost instant reaponse time to any questions I have- and he gave me a discount for getting them unpainted.

I'l​​​​​​I post back as time goes on so at least there is one review! So far my only concern is if they will work around my frame stiffeners since they wrap around the outside of the unibody. If not, I'll just have to cut a section of them out to install the arms. I have several long wheeling trips planned for this summer to test then out on.
​​​​​​​
http://www.core4x4.com/products/cher...rm-upgrade.php

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-17-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

They sure do look cool but for that price I probably would have went with the cavfab alpha 3-link. Let us know how these are though!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Ha I did not even know they existed- Another one I'll have to add to the Lift Kit list! Thanks!

After having only 3 "links" with the IRO system, I definitely wanted to go back to four. Granted, the IRO kit is not a true 3 link but I usually drive several hundred miles around the state or further (Moab etc.) to go wheeling and just feel like having 4 will be more stable under breaking/wind etc. Time will tell!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Ha I did not even know they existed- Another one I'll have to add to the Lift Kit list! Thanks!

After having only 3 "links" with the IRO system, I definitely wanted to go back to four. Granted, the IRO kit is not a true 3 link but I usually drive several hundred miles around the state or further (Moab etc.) to go wheeling and just feel like having 4 will be more stable under breaking/wind etc. Time will tell!
That core kit looks good, but its a radius arm setup. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but a true 3-link will be stronger than a radius arm setup.

If you do decide to go the Core route post up pics and a review, never even knew they existed.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I just got some Core top arms for mine. Just the short arm version. Havent put them on yet but they look halfway decent. They were pretty cheap, I needed top arms, so I figured I would try them out. Interested to see how the long arm goes. Hoping its not like a RC clone.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

The design is pretty different from RC and the problem areas (joints) has a Currie Johnny Joint/polyurethane bushing. The Johnny joints are known to be good/reliable and cheap to rebuild when needed. We will see though! My IRO arms had Rubicon Express joints in them and while easy to rebuild when needed, they didn't last long. I think IRO now has their own joint but I can't speak on those as they arent backwards compatible. The actual materials Core uses are more stout than most (5/16 vs 3/16 or 1/4 and even 1/8) so I doubt they will falter there.

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-17-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That crossmember looks interesting, does it have bushings where it mounts to the frame? And if so does it still use the stock trans mount or hard mount?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

It apears to have bushings were it mounts but I'm not 100% confident. I'll let you know when it arrives!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cross member looks to have bushings that bolt to the control arm brackets. A good design that will allow you to drop the driveline without having to drop your entire suspension. I have the Core upper conrtol arms and I'm quite happy with them. Very beefy, solid welds, and the bushings seem stout. As others have said, I'll recommend a 3 link, but this looks to be a good setup.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

I got them in today! So far I am impressed. Everything is stout- bent plate instead of welded/pressed- great welds- lots of room for adjustment INCLUDING in the mounting system for unibody stiffeners etc. I doubt Ill have time this week as I still have to weld on my 4th control arm bracket but I should have it all together the following week.

To top it off, I got the kit cheaper than the listed price due to letting them know they could send it bare. They painted it anyways! Well too! Great reaponse time so far!
​​​​​​​
It looks like on the HD version, you bolt the subframe straight through the brackets. No bushing.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Nice! I looked into these when I lifted my rig. Decided against them because of no reviews or feedback. Looks like a solid set up.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country

Post up some pics when you get it on! Looks like an interesting design.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Alright I finally got the arms on- Here is my take compared to my I.R.O. long arms

1.) They mount about 6" farther forward (towards the axle) than my IRO arms. I dont know the effect this will have yet but worth mentioning.

2.) My IRO arms had a bend so when the arm travels up- It wont contact the unibody. These do not. Being at 6.5" I don't expect this will be an issue but Ill max out on a ramp and find out.

3.) They came with no instructions which I didnt think would be an issue but actually got semi confused as the brackets could mount two ways. The crossmember doesnt look anything like the one in their pictures either.

4.) They are very stout and the welds look great. I like that all the bushings\joints are easily greaseable.

5.) Due to the upper arms shape/mounting I had to cut part of my truss to make it to the bushing. Not really a big deal.

6.) The croasmember is really high clearance. Due to being solid bent plate and not multiple pieces, the tranny mount bolts hang lower than anything else.

I have yet to take them out but will report back when I do. I welded them on to my unibody stiffeners and still bolted the giant 3/4 bolts all the way through them anyways (pain to drill through the entire frame+ stiffeners lol)

So far though they have super stout and great quality construction but lack a little in thoughtfullness.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country

Alright I finally got the arms on- Here is my take compared to my I.R.O. long arms

1.) They mount about 6" farther forward (towards the axle) than my IRO arms. I dont know the effect this will have yet but worth mentioning.

2.) My IRO arms had a bend so when the arm travels up- It wont contact the unibody. These do not. Being at 6.5" I don't expect this will be an issue but Ill max out on a ramp and find out.

3.) They came with no instructions which I didnt think would be an issue but actually got semi confused as the brackets could mount two ways. The crossmember doesnt look anything like the one in their pictures either.

4.) They are very stout and the welds look great. I like that all the bushings\joints are easily greaseable.

5.) Due to the upper arms shape/mounting I had to cut part of my truss to make it to the bushing. Not really a big deal.

6.) The croasmember is really high clearance. Due to being solid bent plate and not multiple pieces, the tranny mount bolts hang lower than anything else.

I have yet to take them out but will report back when I do. I welded them on to my unibody stiffeners and still bolted the giant 3/4 bolts all the way through them anyways (pain to drill through the entire frame+ stiffeners lol)

So far though they have super stout and great quality construction but lack a little in thoughtfullness.
Interesting!
How does it drive now on the highway?
I'm wanting to go long arm someday but it seems motorcycle parts are consuming my $$ lately.
My Jeep drives like a caddy on the Highway, super smooth, but am tired of the CAD brackets hanging up on logs and rocks offroad.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

oh my god this comment is so full of wrong

looks like you've bought yourself a ripoff version of TNT. They designed the arms to be high clearance but left the frame side mounts as rock anchors