Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO I6
Default Cooling System Upgrades

Alright. I wouldn't call my problem necessarily a cooling issue but it's still a little annoying. I can't use my A/C with the temp getting too high. It does fine without the A/C going. Jeeps cooling system is all-stock or stock replacements except for it has the heavy duty postal/police Jeep replacement radiator and I have wired the axillary electric fan to a switch/relay just in case. It also has a huge trans cooler if that is relevant. Everything except for the water pump has been replaced at some point in the last five years and the system was flushed last summer when I replaced the 165 stat that the previous owner had installed with the correct 195.

I see most advise to swap to electric fans but I'd like to know of there is a better mechanical fan available, for reliabilities sake, before I go full electric. I have installed junk yard fans before and custom made my own harness with automatic temp sensors and relays on my Monte with Intrepid fans.

So, ideas? Bigger radiator? High flow water pump? Stat housing? What works and what don't?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you ever replaced the fan clutch
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Previous owner, a good friend of mine, said he replaced it when he put the radiator in. It still feels good and tight. Not sure if it was a heavy duty version or not. He's in Iraq or I'd ask. Turns not even a half turn when you spin it by hand. I've been doing some searching, I'm bad about posting and then searching, and I've found some electric fan kits no info yet about what year Taurus fans to look for. Although I'd like to keep the mechanical fan for reliability. Still looking for who makes a bigger radiator.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Two easy questions
How hot?
How do you know?

Ron
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

does the electric fan come on with the ac
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

i have heard of water pump fins rotting away with the bigger rad unless its plugged you should be running cool
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

whats it hitting with the ac on? mine site between 190 and 220F which is normal from what i read. bone stock everything fatty rad since its a forestry service jeep.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 AM

Hey

if everything is properly working, your Jeep should not overheat! the max is 220 with low speed and AC on. You can get good infos here:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/cooling.html

I myself are also looking for better cooling, but I run an 4.7 L Stroker with N2O in the desert with 120-140 F outside. See my post here.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ad...options-90187/

If you want to try an additional bonet vent. you can get simular resuld with just 2$ by simply placing few washer under the hinge and some linger screws. From my expiriance it helps a little wile ideling and in low trafic, but not much.

Next option is the E-Fan convertion, with will have the best resuld and do not try to go for any "better mechanical fan" don't do any experiments there, it can cost you your engine!

Flowcooler waterpump cost just 60$ amd works better then the stock. I lost around 4-5 degree.

You can grind inside the thermostat housing to get an better water flow. I did it, but did not realize any drop of them.

If you like it "more expensive" you can order directly from hesco :
http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...ID=43007&catId=

BUT!!!! before you start with any additional cooling, check you system completly! you shall not exeed 220F in any case. If this happens, someting is wrong. Check the cluch fan. The lower hoses have an steel spring inside, to prevent the hose to "colapse" due to the underpressure of the waterpump. check this! Check the radiator condition and flash it. Check the engine if you can see any creamy "cafe color" stuff at the cylinder head (true the oil cap and dip stick) to have an indication of the head gasket. Check the air filter.

It is very difficuld to find the reason for overheating. it can be so many reasons, but 95% are covered with the above. If you engine runs lean buy any reason, it will over heat as well as just an glooged radiator pipe.

Hope this helped!!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 AM

The hottest I'll let it get before I turn the A/C off is a little before the third mark, so 220-230. The clutch fan, when the engine is warm, will turn roughly a half turn if you spin it by hand which I was told is good. The electric fan does come on with the A/C on. Only thing that was never changed was the water pump so maybe the fins inside it are rotted away some. Radiator isn't real old, three-four years. I was looking into the one from radiator depot but I've been reading some bad reviews from them so I'm not sure about that one. Is it true the 97+ XJs have a more powerful electric fan? Nothing weird in the oil. I know how to look for a bad head gasket and this isn't it. No bubbles in coolant and no milk in oil. I wonder if maybe the condenser and the huge trans cooler are blocking the radiator? I will have to try and spray out them out with the hose and see if the outside is clogged some. I don't like the hood idea, what happens if you're in a front end collision? The hood will come through the windshield instead of buckling at the firewall like it's supposed to.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 AM
CF Veteran

yes the newer fans are more power full how big of cooler is it theres also thetaurus fan heres awrite uphttp://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 84supersport
The hottest I'll let it get before I turn the A/C off is a little before the third mark, so 220-230. The clutch fan, when the engine is warm, will turn roughly a half turn if you spin it by hand which I was told is good. The electric fan does come on with the A/C on. Only thing that was never changed was the water pump so maybe the fins inside it are rotted away some. Radiator isn't real old, three-four years. I was looking into the one from radiator depot but I've been reading some bad reviews from them so I'm not sure about that one. Is it true the 97+ XJs have a more powerful electric fan? Nothing weird in the oil. I know how to look for a bad head gasket and this isn't it. No bubbles in coolant and no milk in oil. I wonder if maybe the condenser and the huge trans cooler are blocking the radiator? I will have to try and spray out them out with the hose and see if the outside is clogged some. I don't like the hood idea, what happens if you're in a front end collision? The hood will come through the windshield instead of buckling at the firewall like it's supposed to.
x2 on the hood looks weird and cut your freaking head off in crash l88 style hood looks better
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 05-31-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cybershot
.... If you want to try an additional bonet vent. you can get simular resuld with just 2$ by simply ....
This was an posibility to try better ventilation befor wasting money on hood vents or the australien bonet. NOT to stay like this for ever!!!

When did you flash the radiator in the last time?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 AM

Last summer when I installed the correct t-stat. It had a 165 in it when I got it. My buddy is a good friend of mine I've known since I was three years old and he's a certified mechanic so the stat wasn't covering anything up. He never liked how hot the truck ran which I now know 210-220 is pretty common. He never replaced the water pump cause it didn't leak so that's probably it. Thing still had the original plugs/wires on it when he got it. I would still like to upgrade the water pump and maybe the radiator at the same time though while it's apart. I was researching the CSF radiators and haven't read alot of good things so who else makes one? They had a newer XJ in the junkyard last time I was there. Was it 97+ that got the better fan or the 00+? Do they look different or anything to tell which one it has? Maybe it went bad on a newer one and they got one from an older one at some point so I'd like to know the difference.

Thanks for the hood idea. Wasn't trying to sound snotty or anything. I've seen people do that and leave it. I wouldn't. I'd like to buy a cowl hood but the Jeep isn't my high dollar vehicle plus I'm saving for a wedding/honey moon.

You can see the cooler in the pic I took when I custom cut my front bumper

Last edited by 84supersport; 05-31-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

i see a issue with the tranny cooler where it it unless the ac is on its only getting air when moving id move it in ront of the other fan for constant air flow from mechanical fan and the newer fans have different blade pattern very easy to spot you have to splice the plug but thats pretty simple
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L
Default Race Ace Hood Vents

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/jeeps.html

Quick Reply: Cooling System Upgrades