Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additional cooling options

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Additional cooling options

Hey Guys

I need some help!
First all the informations. I have an 2001 XJ with an 4.7L stroker engine and nitrous injection. Everything works fine. Replaced the Radiator and cluch fan (stock) and run an flowcooler waterpump and 165 Termostat. So almost eveything is new. Enging is 2000 miles old, same for the rediator, waterpump etc.

I am in the United Arabic Emirated and enjoy the XJ in the sand. So I have to push the engine in to high RPM sometimes and with the summer temperature here, 120-140 degree Fahrenheit, the temp go's up and above 220. Onroad no problem and in the winter as well almost no problem.

Now I am thinking how to improve the cooling. I heared that the stock radiator isn't bad and not so much atvantage to change, since is it brand new anyway. Waterpump is upgrades and I am not sure about the electrical fan convertation. Don't think this solves my issue.

I have an other idea. I don't need the heater (We don't realy have an wintere here) so I thought to use the heater pipe and install somewhere an additional radiator with fan. I saw already pictures from such an cherokee, but don't find it again. Where would be the best position for this radiator? front is fool with transmission oil cooler and oil cooler. Anybody done this before?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Dual/Tri Core Radiator, ditch the mech fan for 2 or 3 E Fans.

N2O with high compression?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel

x2.

This is your best option to keep her cool while running in the sand. It will never run cool while wheeling in the sand, it takes too much power to keep moving.

Ditch the Nitrous for Meth injection to help bring intake temps down. Dropping intake temp will reduce engine temp as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: I've had a few...
Engine: A secret

Hood vents.

You can also look into an oil cooler system if you're that serious.

Last edited by hi im adam; 05-23-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Ya can't really get rid of the A/C with 140* summers or get cool air in the intake for that matter... unless you ran the intake into the nice air conditioned cabin (like the mud bogg guys do!) Thoughts???
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Ya can't really get rid of the A/C with 140* summers or get cool air in the intake for that matter... unless you ran the intake into the nice air conditioned cabin (like the mud bogg guys do!) Thoughts???
Yea I would say run it through the firewall into the cabin
Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the hepl guys!!

Very conservative 75HP dry N2O and rarely used. The CR is 9.6/1 and low compression forged piston with an dish of 22cc.
Actually I did not like to change the clutch fan, but I see that many people recommended this, so I have to consider this again.

Originally Posted by trs80
x2.
This is your best option to keep her cool while running in the sand. It will never run cool while wheeling in the sand, it takes too much power to keep moving.

Ditch the Nitrous for Meth injection to help bring intake temps down. Dropping intake temp will reduce engine temp as well.
When the nitrous is released it has around 40-50 degree fahrenheit with external 120 degree. I don't sink that meth can be cooler!

Originally Posted by hi im adam
Hood vents.

You can also look into an oil cooler system if you're that serious.
I lifted the rear side of the hood by 3/4 inch to have an better ventilation and almost like the bonnet vents, but to be honest, it did not helped much in low speed and even not on the highway.

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Yea I would say run it through the firewall into the cabin
I thought of this as well, but I don’t know it will be an big effect for cooling or not. External 120 Degree and internal 90 degree is delta 30 degree intake air. Then is properly loose 5-8 degree in the airfilter and pipes. How much shall this cool down the engine?
Anyway I will try it out by using an K&N Apollo filter true the fire wall and in to the cabin, just because I am curious how it works.

An additional radiator shall make an much bigger difference. Or not? I looking for an position to place it. Anybody ever run such an "dual radiator" setup?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1986 Comanche
Engine: Chevy 350

You will probably get a larger effect from putting in a 180 or 190 degree thermostat. The coolant needs time to suck the heat out of the engine and with a 165 degree it doesn't get that time as the thermostat is pretty much always open. I have had issues before with throwing in a 165 degree where the engine would run 230 degrees, swapped it out to a 180 degree and the temps dropped down to around 210.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I know my 3 core CSF radiator did a world of wonders on mine. I havent gone above 190* even in slow traffic in 90* weather.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
I know my 3 core CSF radiator did a world of wonders on mine. I havent gone above 190* even in slow traffic in 90* weather.
I have no issue onrad even with AC max and slow traffic and 120 degree outsite. The Jeep is not overheating. Just in the sand for dune bashing and high RPM with low speed for longer time with 4wd it runs hot. even then not overheating, but hot.

Originally Posted by Garvin
You will probably get a larger effect from putting in a 180 or 190 degree thermostat. The coolant needs time to suck the heat out of the engine and with a 165 degree it doesn't get that time as the thermostat is pretty much always open. I have had issues before with throwing in a 165 degree where the engine would run 230 degrees, swapped it out to a 180 degree and the temps dropped down to around 210.
Sorry my mistake. I cheked again my stroker thread and I place this termostat.

1 JET 180* thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-10170/
JET Performance 10170

I thiknk the termostat han not help in my case. I put the jeep in extreem situation withe stroker, big tires, N2O and 120 degree outside, so most properly I need an extreem solution.

I checked with an drag racing team which builds this kind of monsters, how they are geting there cars cooled and I got many surprices!

Here are there builds!

8 liter V8 with 4 step NOS injection and 2000HP
He tried as well with the heater line to get an additional cooling, but the radiator did not work well. He tried with supercharger intercooler, radiator from 4 cylinder cars, and several oil cooler connected. Nothing realy worked, and it looked ugly on the bonnet!

So here the plan: E-Fan convertion with very high speed fan and....... an water spray system for the radiator. Build out of an windscreen washer, placed above the radiator and per button spary water on the radiator. from his expiriance it realy has big effect for little price.

Still other solutiones are wellcome, if somebidy has one.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

early 90s 3.8l tauruses had really powerful e fans. like 4000 cfm plus. they are a little big for the jeep radiator but gojeepxjs site had a good write up on it i think
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

If that water pump goes out on you like mine did. The best one is made by Hesco. Talk to Benny. He'll give you a ear full on that water pump. Damn it's hot where your at.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

if its auto matic could it be the tranny getting extra warm becauseof hard use causing extra heat in radiator
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 AM

So, first the air filter update. Now insulated after the filter, just the part before the filter is remaining. No elbows anymore and the diameter has been increased by 22mm

Everybody ask me how loud it is... Her the answer !!

This in comparison is ACDC Hells bells :mrgreen:

Then here the clutch fan replacement

It seams that it works well

Here the craziest mod for this time. Cooling on demand. I placed an Nissan Patrol wind screen washer tank with integrated pump under the hood and lead the pipe to the radiator like this:

The pump gets switched on and of from the cockpit. If the pumps runs it sprays with 2 nozzles an small amount of water over the radiator and cools them down due to the evaporation cooling. I did not have the time jet to test it in the desert, but when I tested it today in the city, it was amazing with an drop of 10-15 degree in less the 10 seconds

[/
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

fill that radiator sprayer you made with windshield washer fluid... it has methanol in it and cools radiators VERY well

Quick Reply: Additional cooling options