Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

connection between loose front drive shaft and grinding in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default connection between loose front drive shaft and grinding in 4wd?

recently and progressively worse, when i put my np242 into either part time, or full time 4wd there is a noise like grinding metal or something of that nature. its only under acceleration that this noise occurs and as of right now i dont think it does this in 4low. but, as i stated its been steadily getting worse. i havent checked anything yet... no time, no lift, and a mechanic who needs to get his **** together have left me with the following list:

-I checked the front shaft and it has gotten more play in it than a few months ago. it now has between 1/8 to 1/4 inch play.

-I havent checked the TC fluid (hopefully tomorrow)

-I havent checked the TC cable, as i have heard a few people talk of now they can get loose and cause issues like this.

-The tranny fluid is good, the oil is good. however... i have haad this really frustrating hesitation/bucking/backfiring/sputtering issue. i replaced a bunch of stuff in what turned out to be a vain attempt to fix it. the prob went away for a while and will randomly and quite frequently happen again. if you have suggestion on this one i will provide a list of the items replaced/checked. so, what am i missing? any suggestions? thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

sounds like the chain could be loose (stretched), the gears in the front diff could be bad, or the tcase is low on fluid. not sure exactly, you'll have to do the things stated above first.