Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coilover and lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default coilover and lift?

i guess im justr not getting it, lol...hoping for some input...

normally on our xj, the coils and leafs give the lift...but what is i was to switch to coilovers in the front? how do you get the correct lift with coilovers?

how do you get lift from the coilovers?(meaning if i want 10" of lift, how do i calculate which coilovers to get?

im looking for something that is simple and not too many complicated calculations to make...
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

The coilis still a spring, the shock is basically just down the center.

Be prepared to lose your wheel well as typically they are much taller than what our Jeeps are set up to run.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
The coilis still a spring, the shock is basically just down the center.

Be prepared to lose your wheel well as typically they are much taller than what our Jeeps are set up to run.

ya i seen on pirate the cutting of the upper spring mount and welding of the "hoops"...this is less of an issue for me...

im more wondering for an 8-12"lift, what coilovers to get? lenght? springs?

sorry for the ultra newb questions...but i really dont understand them much and at the price i dont wanna make a bad order...

i have been searching for the past few days with now real answer to my question...and i dont wanna post on pirate and get flamed, lol...so i was hoping that someone here could help me out with coilover length and spring rates...i just want a part # to order, lol...cmon, make it easy for me, lol
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Edit: I definatly misunderstood this situation lol.

Last edited by storm101; 04-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnydoe

im looking for something that is simple and not too many complicated calculations to make...
its far from simple and there are many calculations to make

i was hoping that someone here could help me out with coilover length and spring rates...i just want a part # to order, lol...cmon, make it easy for me, lol
you have to find someone who has the exact setup you want, weighs exactly the same, runs the same links, located at the same points, the same lengths, does the exact wheeling you do, is 100% happy with their setup pretty much.

there is a lot of homework to do. most people end up fine tuning by swapping out different rate springs, multiple spring setups, playing with different compression and rebound valving.and spending lots of money before they are completely happy with it.

i dont have coilovers, but thats the answer i received when asking pretty much the same question as you to some of my more experienced friends.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by storm101
If I'm understanding you correctly I think you're all sorts of confused here.

Nothing besides new coils, leafs, spacers, shackles, or
Blocks are gonna give you any lift.

If these coil overs you're speaking of are a shock with a coil spring around it, you'd still treat it as a shock, so you'd buy a set that had the proper travel for a 10" lift.

Fwiw if you're shooting for 10" lift, it'll be in depth with many more things than just the normal suspension components, that's usually the case at like 3.5"-4" and up.

well your right, i am confused....

ok here is my exact problem...

im going leafs in the rear, and want to go coilovers in the front...in the rear i will have 10" of lift with leafs, blocks and shackles....

but in the fron i dont know what coilover to get? i hear of 12", 14", 16"...and then there are diff spring rates, multiple springs per coilover....then how to calculate all this to get the same lift in the front as the rear leafs, with proper spring rates....

although this is going to be a big rig, it will still be a road machine too....so thats also to consider when thinking about coil rates...

i guess you could say my main question is how do i know what length to get to match my rear lift? and i guess the springs can be changed out as needed, but im looking for a similar ride as a normal xj lift kit spring will give

Last edited by johnydoe; 04-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

well your right, i am confused....

ok here is my exact problem...

im going leafs in the rear, and want to go coilovers in the front...in the rear i will have 10" of lift with leafs, blocks and shackles....

but in the fron i dont know what coilover to get? i hear of 12", 14", 16"...and then there are diff spring rates, multiple springs per coilover....then how to calculate all this to get the same lift in the front as the rear leafs, with proper spring rates....

although this is going to be a big rig, it will still be a road machine too....so thats also to consider when thinking about coil rates...

Yeah I messed up, so I changed my post lol, I immediately thought of the shocks not like a coil sprig replacement coil over, so I guess I jumped the gun on my post.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

you are going all out with a 10" coilover lift in front, yet you want to run blocks in the rear?

to find out what length you need you have to figure out where your mounting points are going to be and what kind of travel you want to set it up for.

as for valving and spring rates, we know just about nothing about your rig and what you are going to do with it, so nobody can point you remotely close to the right direction you should go.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

i guess you could say my main question is how do i know what length to get to match my rear lift?
if you want to just buy coilovers and be able to fine tune the height easily i would make some coilover towers with multiple mounting points.

what length and spring rates you get depends entirely on a number of factors.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
you are going all out with a 10" coilover lift in front, yet you want to run blocks in the rear?

to find out what length you need you have to figure out where your mounting points are going to be and what kind of travel you want to set it up for.

as for valving and spring rates, we know just about nothing about your rig and what you are going to do with it, so nobody can point you remotely close to the right direction you should go.
ya i know it sounds silly...but considering i can lift the rear for dirt cheap with leafs...and the only reason im considering coilovers in the front, is i have just purchased a dana s60 front that was coil spring, but the coil mounts are too far apart to use, and the driver sidetube has alot of cast iron, i wish it was brackets and easy to cut off but its solid...so im looking for an easy way around it so im looking into coilovers for the front for the simplicity on mounting them...

im basicly looking for the easiest way to get it done...and from what i was looking at (pics) a coilover conversion seems the easiest, aside from the calculations that is, lol
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

well what kind of wheeling do you do? do you know the weight at all 4 corners? Do you want a lot of down travel and not a lot of up travel or vice versa. Hoestly the best thing you could do is call one of the manufactures up that your looking at and talk to them
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1988cherokee
well what kind of wheeling do you do? do you know the weight at all 4 corners? Do you want a lot of down travel and not a lot of up travel or vice versa. Hoestly the best thing you could do is call one of the manufactures up that your looking at and talk to them
basicly im looking for the exact same ride as a normal 8" bds lift would give, the only reason for wanting to coilovers is for ease of instalation, not for the performance aspects of it

as for what kind of wheeling i do, mostly mud, but i like to do it all, and its a DD
Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

the easier way out would be coils in the stock configuration. nobody makes a ten inch coil because thats just highly impractical and can be dangerous. but you can always build your coil buckets tall on the axle going a little over the center section. that will solve the fitment issue you speak of and help you get the lift you want. and you wont have to do all the cagework and bracing on the unibody thats required to reliably run coilovers. making coil buckets is far less work than everything needed to run coilovers.