Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default coil noise

I lifted my 96 cherokee 4.5 inches via coils in the front with tubular lower control arms and stock uppers for now. Everything is good except when i go over bumps or take sharp turns I can hear the coils bind up and making noise. A buddy told me to get adjustable upper control arms to adjust the castor and that would help, just wondering what you guys think
Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 96 4.0 on renix

More likely that you need an adjustable track bar to move the axle over. 4.5" is too high for a stock track bar. The higher you lift the xj with a stock length track bar. The farther the axle will move to the driver's side of the jeep. Causing the coil to rub the frame rail on the passenger side.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm sure you must have installed an adj track bar with that much lift and adj UCA's are needed to adjust the pinion angle on the front differential. At 4 1/2" of lift you need an SYE and new driveshaft, new shocks, brake lines, Sway Bar disconnects adj and bump stops to name a few. Then you get to larger tires, wheels which requires new gears and then you night as well do lockers at the same time.

4 1/2" of lift requires a lot more parts and $$$$$ than a 3" lift kit. It cost me $3.5-$4.5k more to go from my 3" lift to a 4 1/2" lift using my leafs and coils.

Lots to think about hope you did all your reading before you started.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I'm sure you must have installed an adj track bar with that much lift and adj UCA's are needed to adjust the pinion angle on the front differential. At 4 1/2" of lift you need an SYE and new driveshaft, new shocks, brake lines, Sway Bar disconnects adj and bump stops to name a few. Then you get to larger tires, wheels which requires new gears and then you night as well do lockers at the same time.

4 1/2" of lift requires a lot more parts and $$$$$ than a 3" lift kit. It cost me $3.5-$4.5k more to go from my 3" lift to a 4 1/2" lift using my leafs and coils.

Lots to think about hope you did all your reading before you started.

I should have gave a little more info about my jeep lol. I installed an adjustable trac bar and replaced all of the steering parts with new stuff and lengthened my brake lines. I have yet to get a sye just due to money but I do plan to get one. Looking at the side of my jeep I can tell my coils aren't sitting perfectly level to the coil bucket so that makes me think I need adjustable control arms, which would be more beneficial overall, upper or lower CA's?
Old 10-10-2015, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

They both serve different purposes the adj. uppers adj. the pinion angle on the front differential. If the lower CA came with that lift kit it may be correct.

JMO but when I went to 4 1/2" of lift I used both Adj. U/LCA's to set mine up properly, be aware the passenger side UCA mount is very weak and needs work to strengthen it with a lift and larger tires a must do.