Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the right lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Choosing the right lift?

So I'm in the process of building my jeep but having a hard time figuring out what I really want. My xj will be mainly used for wheeling and the occasional cruise around town. I have 35's ready to go on it from my other jeep and I have the front lifted 4.5". But it's a terrible lift with huge spacers.
So the question which has been asked a thousand times on here... Short arm or long arm it?
I'm kinda tight on money right now but I really need to get this thing put back together and out of my shop.
I've been looking at just buying a complete new 4.5" lift then going with the long arm upgrade later.
Again I said I had the front already lifted but I still need to replace the coils, rear leafs, shocks, brake lines etc so it seems that it's easier and cheaper to go ahead and buy a new compete lift. Am I right?

Last edited by bjefferies94; 11-07-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bjefferies94
So I'm in the process of building my jeep but having a hard time figuring out what I really want. My xj will be mainly used for wheeling and the occasional cruise around town. I have 35's ready to go on it from my other jeep and I have the front lifted 4.5". But it's a terrible lift with huge spacers.
So the question which has been asked a thousand times on here... Short arm or long arm it?
I'm kinda tight on money right now but I really need to get this thing put back together and out of my shop.
I've been looking at just buying a complete new 4.5" lift then going with the long arm upgrade later.
Again I said I had the front already lifted but I still need to replace the coils, rear leafs, shocks, brake lines etc so it seems that it's easier and cheaper to go ahead and buy a new compete lift. Am I right?
So your tight on money but want o do it twice? Since it's a trail rig, save for a long arm. But your going to need more then just the lift for 4.5
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
So your tight on money but want o do it twice? Since it's a trail rig, save for a long arm. But your going to need more then just the lift for 4.5
So maybe 5.5 and above? There isn't much price difference between the 4.5 and 6 so that's good. What other things do I have to consider when going with a long arm lift like that. What else would I need besides the lift kit itself
Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Do it right or do it twice. Long arm is a must. Avoid spacers and blocks. Get quality shocks. I went with 4.5 and 33s. Then 6.5 and 35s. Now back to 33s. All had ups and downs.

You will also need o install a slip yoke eliminator. Which requires a new rear drive shaft.

Also a good trac bar must be installed. Some kits include one. Usually they are trash.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

You say you already have a parts xj (that I'm assuming was lifted since you mentioned it had 35s). Do you by chance already have either adjustable or at least fixed aftermarket control arms? If you do you could also consider CA drop brackets. I'm not trying to open up the debate on what's better and blah blah blah... Just simply suggesting another option. We all know long arms are superior.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah, you're not gonna do 4.5" properly without spending some coin. Coils, Leafs, SYE & rear driveshaft, shims, control arms (long or short), adjustable track bar, upgraded steering are all needed (I might be forgetting something).

The most complete kit I've found so far that includes long arms (radius arms) and a SYE & rear DS is from Serious Offroad here... http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The lift kit is usually the cheapest part of doing it right, with 35's and a trail rig you will need gears and lockers, armor etc. the list is long and expensive.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Ahhh, yep! Good call, Fred! Forgot he plans on running 35's.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:33 PM

It does make sense to do it right one time instead of having to lift it twice. I have fixed aftermarket control arms and cool spacers. As of now the 35's are just some tires I will be using from another jeep. Still need to get the Dana 44 put in the rear and new leafs but I may just wait until I purchase a long arm lift. Thanks for the help guys.
What are you guys running on your rigs?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Mine's kind of a "custom" setup. I've kind of been putting mine together with what I want to get around 4.25 to 4.5". You can check out my build for more on it. If I get the parts I need before the weekend, there will be an update on my build shortly. Plans have taken a small detour over the last few weeks.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It would help to tell us what yr, engine trans in your XJ.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
It would help to tell us what yr, engine trans in your XJ.
It's a 91 Xj Laredo 4.0
AW4 tranny
Transfer case NP231
Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I'm running a Frankenstein 4.5" lift. RE coils, leafs ,and shackles with a RC long arm upgrade kit. No complaints with 20k+ miles with DD duty and moderate off-road. Also running Serious 1-ton steering, crown SYE, IRO track bar, JKS discos, bilstiens, and a ZJ front DS in the rear.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by chipmaker
I'm running a Frankenstein 4.5" lift. RE coils, leafs ,and shackles with a RC long arm upgrade kit. No complaints with 20k+ miles with DD duty and moderate off-road. Also running Serious 1-ton steering, crown SYE, IRO track bar, JKS discos, bilstiens, and a ZJ front DS in the rear.

Your rig looks sweet man! That's the goal for mine right now. Anyone think there will be some good Black Friday sales on suspensions lifts?? I may wait for that... I've been told there will be
Old 11-10-2016, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Thanks man. Just piece together a lift. It took me almost two years to collect all of my parts. Search the forums and web for lifted rigs with specs, so you can decide exactly which components you want.

This is the best time of year to buy parts, there should be lots of sales. Also a lot of vendors offer free shipping during the holiday season, which will save you a ton.