Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee Gods Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Gods Help Me!

I have the famous death wobble and dont know what to do next. I have a 99 cherokee that I put a 2" lift ( spacer up front with an add a leaf in rear) from 50-55 mph going around a bend it wobbles/shimmys real bad. Going straight its fine. I replaced the pitman arm tie rod end and put a drop track bar bracket on and its still there, and now it looks like the passenger side tire sticks out further then the drivers. I have a new stock track bar on order but dont know where to go from there. Any ideas? all the other tie rod ends are older but seam good.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Track bar drop and new stock track bar on the way? You might as well took that money and got a adjustable track bar.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: h.o. 4.0

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
Track bar drop and new stock track bar on the way? You might as well took that money and got a adjustable track bar.
x a billion
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM

buddy gave me the drop bracket after i ordered the new track bar, I didnt think i needed a drop bracket or an adjustable bar with a big wopping 2" lift. Just thought Id try it out since it was free

Last edited by Dcoy; 06-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Originally Posted by Dcoy
buddy gave me the drop bracket after i ordered the new track bar, I didnt think i needed a drop bracket or an adjustable bar with a big wopping 2" lift. Just thought Id try it out since it was free
Any lift on these Jeeps will cause death wobble, I've got it really back at 55 myself on 3inch and 31's. It's just a matter of if your Jeep loves you or not.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dcoy
I'd ditch the drop bracket and put a good adjustable track bar on it.
And fwiw, I need an adjustable track bar at 1.5" lift. With the stock bar my axle is way off center.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
I'd ditch the drop bracket and put a good adjustable track bar on it.
And fwiw, I need an adjustable track bar at 1.5" lift. With the stock bar my axle is way off center.
I did remove the drop bracket and my axle seams to be back to center, is there an easy way to measure and see if its truly centered and if I do if fact need an adjustable bar.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM

any ideas?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM

After an alignment and them telling me my caster is not adjustable which I know is, I was looking over the report and my left is at 5.2* and my right is at 4.9* but the factory specs are between 5.3 and 8.5 degrees. Could this be part or all of my problem? I have been looking around and have found people saying a lifted Cherokee should be around 6 to 7, so if this is the case how do I figure out how much to adjust them to get them to a good angle.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Any lift on these Jeeps will cause death wobble, I've got it really back at 55 myself on 3inch and 31's. It's just a matter of if your Jeep loves you or not.
It will do it while stock too if your front end parts like steering, ball joints, etc are worn.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

The best analogy I've heard is the DW is like shopping cart wheels.... you need caster to fix that... also read about a new track bar too.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

Rest easy my friend you're gonna be fine. Your caster is NOT adjustable. A jeep wrangler TJ with the Low pinion D30 does have caster adjustment via alignment cam bolts. Im attaching a picture to show what that looks like. Your xj should not have caster adjustment. Now for your track bar. You dont need a drop brack at a 2" lift. BDS makes an adjustable track bar for a 2"-4" lift that retains the factory track bar bracket. Remember you want the drag link and TB to be parallel. You need to get under there while you have a buddy turning the wheel back n forth and look for worn parts.
Control arm bushings
Tie rod ends
Track bar
Steering box & bolts
Check wheel bearing and ball joints
Have your tires been balanced?
Look at sway bar bushings and end links
While your under there as well. I would also make sure your front drive shaft is balanced and your rotors aren't warped.
You want to eliminate any possibility of driveline vibes so your not confusing them with your death wobble.
Attached Thumbnails Cherokee Gods Help Me!-forumrunner_20130624_131159.jpg  

Last edited by evan00xj; 06-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by evan00xj
Rest easy my friend you're gonna be fine. Your caster is NOT adjustable. A jeep wrangler TJ with the Low pinion D30 does have caster adjustment via alignment cam bolts. Im attaching a picture to show what that looks like. Your xj should not have caster adjustment. Now for your track bar. You dont need a drop brack at a 2" lift. BDS makes an adjustable track bar for a 2"-4" lift that retains the factory track bar bracket. Remember you want the drag link and TB to be parallel. You need to get under there while you have a buddy turning the wheel back n forth and look for worn parts.
Control arm bushings
Tie rod ends
Track bar
Steering box & bolts
While your under there as well. I would also make sure your front drive shaft is balanced and your rotors aren't warped.
You want to eliminate any possibility of driveline vibes so your not confusing them with your death wobble.
As I've done on quite a few alignments, the bolts behind the lower control arm frame side can be loosened and shims added/removed to adjust. It's RARE you ever need to adjust this way, but I always get all green/within spec when I do an alignment.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

Originally Posted by liftedjeepxj

As I've done on quite a few alignments, the bolts behind the lower control arm frame side can be loosened and shims added/removed to adjust. It's RARE you ever need to adjust this way, but I always get all green/within spec when I do an alignment.
Right.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Control arm bushings
Tie rod ends
Track bar
Steering box & bolts
Originally Posted by liftedjeepxj
Right.
The shims behind the control arm are most certainly castor adjustment... I'm not sure how the castor adjustment isn't really a castor adjustment. Granted, there's not a lot of adjustment but enough to get both sides matching.

OP, find yourself some adjustable arms and adjust the castor up to 6ish.

(After you make sure you've checked everything else as well.)

Mine shimmy was because of worn out control arm bushings.

Quick Reply: Cherokee Gods Help Me!