Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapo Power Upgrade part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Banger
Default Cheapo Power Upgrade part II

Hey all,

after the first thread regarding the power adder resistor trick, I feel I need to impart more knowledge on the unsuspecting Jeeper community.

Part 1
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/che...pgrade-164012/

Ok, so I've been thinking of bolt on mods for my jeep, and I had a bunch of time on my hands, probably too much time, hence, Ive dug into the jeep.

This upgrade is in regards to the Coolant sensor. Im plenty sure most of you have had the experience of driving the jeep while its still cold, Im sure also youve felt that extra kick it produces.

It turns out, other than the colder denser air during mornings or cold climates, the extra power is derived from the engine enriching the mixture during the warm up cycle to heat it up faster. Having went through a craze in using a resistor for the IAT, I thought i might as well do this for the coolant.

My thoughts were to wire a resistor in series just like the IAT, but then I thought, in the desert heat, controlling the tempreture of the jeep is extremely important. Hence, I needed a circuit that would keep the original reading, and provide a reduced reading for times where I need more power with the use of a switch, a booster circuit like a fellow jeeper suggested.

I was in the process of creating that circuit when I had a struck of genius. I broke apart an old stereo I had lying around, extracted the volume control dial, it had a 10k ohm max i beleive.

So i wired it in series to the coolant sensor, wired it all the way back into the compartment and installed it somewhere on the dash.

Now, when dial is fully turned to the right, I get the exact reading from the sensor, dialing it down I get a reduced reading, and the needle can go all the way down.

Ive test tried it last night, and on the highway, I turned it down to 1 bar reading. floored it, and as expected, extra power was available for faster overtaking.

Moreover, I raced with a friend in an altima starting at 120km/h and I beat it. The jeep was usually a dog from the 120-140 range.

Cost: nothing really.

Tell me what you think

Best regards.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

This is interesting stuff, i really like the idea of dialing up the fuel at will. Are going to do a video or pics
Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

It's not as easy as that. The ECU runs in closed loop most of the time so the O2 sensor and ECU will pull out any extra fuel to get the A/F ratio back to 14.7. Did you use a wideband O2 sensor to verify that you are in fact richening the A/F ratio?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

sweet! now sell that on ebay to all the other suckers out there. you know, the ones that are like "25HP + 30MPG NOW!!!" and clog up 17 pages of your search results.....????
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

Do you think this would mess things up?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 AM

Last night I did a reader test, a bluetooth OBD II reader connected to an android phone,
Dialing down the temperature saw more CCs of fuel being delivered to the cylinders,

Also, with my previous IAT resistor trick, the reading of intake temperature is 30 - 36 degrees C. which is more or less the ambient temperature this time of year.

The thing is with this particular setup, is that under normal operating temperatures, the system runs in open loop, thereby giving it all its got.

I dont think this will mess anything up, if your cooling system is in check ( I have two extra Subaru electric fans infront of the radiator with a three core radiator soon to be installed) the engine will not heat up. Also, ive seen XJ's with high levels of induction boost, the engine holds up pretty well. CAST IRON FTW.

I am thinking this will be enhanced with stronger spark, maybe those tri-head splitfires .

I will taking a video soon to show it, il post updates
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 AM

A problem I witnessed however, is that dialing it down all the way, and flooring it causes a hesitation for a split second, I guess not going all the way.... is the way to go
YEEEAAAAHHH
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Running in open loop at normal temps is not good. There is a reason for closed loop running.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

the ecu goes into closed loop at about 21-22 degrees celcius (coolant temp) anyways.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chechen_Jeeper
Tell me what you think

Best regards.
i think unless you can provide some quantitative data, (dyno sheet/video), you are full of ****.

Best regards.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

dumping more fuel like this wont show up on the dyno, just this will give an illusion of more power, like in his other thread upgrading the fuel system in other areas will be the difference.

i am interested in how this will turn out

and for the other thread about more psi the latter cherokees have a higher pressure... i cant remeber the pressuser or the years but the info is on the forum. the fuel pump, fuel rail should give you more fuel and then an injector upgrade

good luck
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 AM

Well sir, I am not trying to sell you anything, or to boast an idea as my own, its something I did and wanted to share if anyone had any interest.

In regards to real power numbers, I will not pay a generous amount of money to test this modification on a dyno, a video I will post inshallah as soon as I can get some time and get a wide open road for full throttle.

Moreover, those 4.0's have a reputation for withstanding whatever you put it through with a grin provided its lubed up and cooled properly. if you were to use a motec engine fuel management system, this is basically exactly what it does, it overrides the PCM and enriches the mixture (youtube video's of toyotas and nissan SUVs that push flames from the exhaust using motec.) My setup boasts very high air flow through the crate, leaning out the mixture if not corrected properly. moreover, a slightly rich momentary mix ( ie controlled enrichment) provides for maximum output provided by the fuel and less heat by correcting lean mixtures and i can get it back to normal operation in a second.
also, at the cost of approximately 300 US dollars for a replacement engine, why the hell not?

Also considering that the jeep pushes out around 500 KM on the tank as opposed to the 300 I used to get when I first got it, Im probably doing something right
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Originally Posted by hankthetank
i think unless you can provide some quantitative data, (dyno sheet/video), you are full of ****.

Best regards.
Are we not all here for the same reason? To get the most out of our vehicles? The guy isn't posting a sales pitch. He is simply trying new things to see what the results are. I come here because I usually am not made to feel like a stupid POS when I ask questions and come up with strange ideas. Lets just lay off the bashing.

I commend the guy for trying new things. I don't know that I would personally install these modifications on my XJ, but I give him credit for trying it out. Good work.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chechen_Jeeper
if you were to use a motec engine fuel management system, this is basically exactly what it does, it overrides the PCM and enriches the mixture (youtube video's of toyotas and nissan SUVs that push flames from the exhaust using motec.) My setup boasts very high air flow through the crate, leaning out the mixture if not corrected properly. moreover, a slightly rich momentary mix ( ie controlled enrichment) provides for maximum output provided by the fuel and less heat by correcting lean mixtures and i can get it back to normal operation in a second.
i'm sorry, but unless you have some proof (not a butt dyno) none of what you posted means anything. its just pure assumption and speculation. but hey, most forums are chock full of that anyways!

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
...I come here because I usually am not made to feel like a stupid POS when I ask questions and come up with strange ideas. Lets just lay off the bashing.

I commend the guy for trying new things. I don't know that I would personally install these modifications on my XJ, but I give him credit for trying it out. Good work.
oh relax, i never meant to make anyone feel stupid. i agree with your commendation on trying new things, but i still stand behind what i said. without REAL proof, everything he's posted thus far is BS.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Damn Canadians..... Lol

Quick Reply: Cheapo Power Upgrade part II