Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio Questions

Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default CB Radio Questions

I tried to do a search of the forums on cb radios, but didn't really find any threads dealing with just radios or setups. They are usually buried in a build thread or something similar and I am too lazy to read that much. ;-) Anyways, I recently got a very belated birthday/Christmas gift from a friend, which is a Uniden PRO520XL. Seems like a decent radio. I am thinking about mounting it overhead. What I am curious about is, it needs to be wired, so should I just directly wire it to the battery? Should I try to splice into, or wire into, some form of a cigarette lighter plug? Is there a better way to wire it? It will be trail use only, for the most part, so I don't need it on every time I start up the jeep. Also, is mounting it overhead a good idea? It seems like it would be out of the way, since it is a smaller radio. And, last thing to touch on, I think. What should I get for an antennae and what are the better spots to mount? or is it just visual preference? Any and all ideas and comments are welcomed. Thanks for the input as always!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Mine's mounted to overhead between the visors. I wired mine so that it'll stay on all the time unless I cut it off. I actually wired it straight to the power wire for the original keyless entry circuit since the wire was already up there.

I run a 3 ft Firestik mounted to a bracket on my drivers side fender.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/wh...b-radio-73516/

Here's a thread.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by lowrange2
Mine's mounted to overhead between the visors. I wired mine so that it'll stay on all the time unless I cut it off. I actually wired it straight to the power wire for the original keyless entry circuit since the wire was already up there.

I run a 3 ft Firestik mounted to a bracket on my drivers side fender.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/wh...b-radio-73516/

Here's a thread.
Is that wire there for all jeeps? I have keyless entry in my '01. Maybe I posted this in the wrong part of the forum, lol. I know there are plenty of guys on here that have CBs in their rigs. ;-) Thanks for your input though, lowrange. I like the idea of overhead between the visors, seems like it is out of the way enough. I do worry about mounting it to the liner.