Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c8.25 axle shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default c8.25 axle shaft help

Ok i've got a problem here.. I ordered an aussie lunch box locker a few months ago and just got around to putting it in last night. While I was about to put the locker in I noticed everything just wasn't matching up (namely the fact that I couldn't fit the whole locker in the carrier and the axle shafts could float around inside the locker. Now Originally I thought I had the 29 spline.. me and a friend pulled and counted my axle shaft splines. Well I'm guessing this means we're wrong because me and two other people counted the shafts again and got 27 this time and the locker counted to be 29.

Now is the carrier on the 29 spline that much bigger? Or is it possible that I do not have a c8.25 locker sitting in my garage

I guess my question is should I just try and see if the dealer I bought the locker from will swap it, or get a new carrier and shafts?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by Thedude
Ok i've got a problem here.. I ordered an aussie lunch box locker a few months ago and just got around to putting it in last night. While I was about to put the locker in I noticed everything just wasn't matching up (namely the fact that I couldn't fit the whole locker in the carrier and the axle shafts could float around inside the locker. Now Originally I thought I had the 29 spline.. me and a friend pulled and counted my axle shaft splines. Well I'm guessing this means we're wrong because me and two other people counted the shafts again and got 27 this time and the locker counted to be 29.

Now is the carrier on the 29 spline that much bigger? Or is it possible that I do not have a c8.25 locker sitting in my garage

I guess my question is should I just try and see if the dealer I bought the locker from will swap it, or get a new carrier and shafts?
Personaly I would go with the carrier and shafts, best way to do it would be to get a jy 29 and toss the locker in it and beat it till it dies lol then 9" and 44
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd just get a new axle with the same gears in 29 spline. But the easiest way would be to exchange the locker for the correct one.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Originally Posted by Thedude

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I just went to the junkyard and bought a whole 29 spline axle assembly.Believe it or not that is by far the cheapest way to go about this. You CANT just get new shafts because the 29s are thicker then 27s, as you probably figured out. The problem with buying a new carrier and shafts together is then you're into rebuilding the whole axle assembly, resetting backlash, new bearings, ect... Also, the 29 carrier is just enough bigger then the 27 that you can't just slap it in there with out a ton work or money involved. If you have an auto parts recycling place near you it is best to buy a used, inspected for quality, axle assembly and replace the wheel bearings and do a complete break job. This ran me about $400 which again, is cheaper then doing a 27 to 29 spline swap.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Just send the locker back...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Oh and I forgot to specify that Aussie does not make a locker for 27 spline 8.25 and you could just buy a Spartan locker for about $360-$380 for 27 spline but if you do that you'll end up with an inferior axle and locker. Spartan won't back up their product if you run bigger tires then 32 inches. To clarify what I posted previously, their are major differences between the 27 and 29 c 8.25 carriers so you probably do have the right locker, just wrong axle! So if you get a good 29 spline axle and keep the Aussie I think you'll be very happy with that decision.