Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brainfart while wiring lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default brainfart while wiring lol

Trying to wire my train horn to my stock horn switch but I have a bad clockspring so I had to disconnect the relay so I cant just splice it into the old horn wires so I tore it apart and I think I understand but im not 100 percent. I think I have to wire one side of my solenoid to the red and the other to the black and than run the red to power. Is that correct? I just wanna be sure before I run my wire. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails brainfart while wiring lol-pict3502.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Bluestar
Trying to wire my train horn to my stock horn switch but I have a bad clockspring so I had to disconnect the relay so I cant just splice it into the old horn wires so I tore it apart and I think I understand but im not 100 percent. I think I have to wire one side of my solenoid to the red and the other to the black and than run the red to power. Is that correct? I just wanna be sure before I run my wire. Thanks for the help.
Is that the back of your airbag? If it is do you understand the point of a clockspring?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tssguy123
Is that the back of your airbag? If it is do you understand the point of a clockspring?
Could possible be lol I thought that was the horn wires but idk I just took it apart. I know the clockspring has the wires for the horn airbag and cruse control on it and my was having issues where everytime I would trun the steering wheel it would stall so someone told me to disconnect the horn relay and it fixed the problem. (Also I took the airbad out and this is what was under it and also there was another wire harness going into the airbag assembly.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Could possible be lol I thought that was the horn wires but idk I just took it apart. I know the clockspring has the wires for the horn airbag and cruse control on it and my was having issues where everytime I would trun the steering wheel it would stall so someone told me to disconnect the horn relay and it fixed the problem. (Also I took the airbad out and this is what was under it and also there was another wire harness going into the airbag assembly.
How do you plan on running those wires down the column? I just think this is a bad idea... running wires inside of your steering column/wheel is going to make them wear out quickly, think of all of the stress and movement they will endure. That's the whole reason the clock-spring exists... so the current can safely be transferred without wearing out as quickly as normal wires would.

In vehicle steering systems a clockspring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.
Clocksprings generally consist of a flat multicore cable wound in a spiral shape similar to a clock spring, hence the name,[1] but the name is also given to devices fulfilling the same purpose but which use spring-loaded brushes contacting concentric slip rings.[2]
^from Wikipedia.

Last edited by tssguy123; 01-03-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by tssguy123
How do you plan on running those wires down the column? I just think this is a bad idea... running wires inside of your steering column/wheel is going to make them wear out quickly, think of all of the stress and movement they will endure. That's the whole reason the clock-spring exists... so the current can safely be transferred without wearing out as quickly as normal wires would.

^from Wikipedia.
Thanks for the information. whats a good way to wire it than? I know it would be easy to wire it to a toggle switch but I think it would be more convenient at the horn.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Year: 2000

Get a Clockspring.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the information. whats a good way to wire it than? I know it would be easy to wire it to a toggle switch but I think it would be more convenient at the horn.
Get a new clockspring.. I wouldn't mess with that airbag, especially if you don't know what pins do what. You wouldn't want to go press the horn down and instead get an airbag in your face.

Either that or just do a toggle...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Do a rope pull type thing like on a big rig.