Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch (ebay) injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Bosch (ebay) injectors

I just bought a set of used, 19# Bosch injectors from a guy that bought them on ebay. The sellers name is PerformanceEFI. I'm going to be putting them in my 93 HO, but I wanted to see if anyone has put these exact injectors in. Part number 0280150943. I've searched all the threads, and I haven't found anything on these injectors. Other forums have info on them, but it seems everyone is putting them in Renix motors. Any info on them would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 244 CID High Output (4.0)

Why are you putting them in? If you're expecting a power increase you wont notice one. Those usually only make a difference with a Stroker.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member

The ad on ebay says that they are for Cherokees 87-95. Doesn't say anything about them being for built motors.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

should have gone to the junk yard and got some neon injectors...probally cheaper and a power increase
Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix I6

http://www.witchhunter.com/flowdatapix/b0280150943.jpg
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lolz_jeep
should have gone to the junk yard and got some neon injectors...probally cheaper and a power increase
I only paid $50 dollars for them, and they should be better.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by fallenknight308
Yeah, thats what I got.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by rollingstone
I just bought a set of used, 19# Bosch injectors from a guy that bought them on ebay. The sellers name is PerformanceEFI. I'm going to be putting them in my 93 HO, but I wanted to see if anyone has put these exact injectors in. Part number 0280150943. I've searched all the threads, and I haven't found anything on these injectors. Other forums have info on them, but it seems everyone is putting them in Renix motors. Any info on them would be appreciated.
These are the equivalent to the injectors used on renix engines stock from the factory, but seal a bit better and are more reliable. . They don't flow as well as the later model injectors, so they would be a step in the opposite direction for you. Dunno if they are 4 hole type or not either.

Get yourself some Neon *703 injectors
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

These are EV1 style injectors with single hole. The flow rates (wide open and dynamic) are nearly the same as stock. The resistance on the coil is 14.5 Ohms rather than 12 for the stock. I had issues with my stock injectors leaking (one of the reasons I have a fire extinquisher mounted where I can get it quickly), so these injectors should avoid that issue.

There are some 4 hole orafice plate Bosch injectors that will give equivalent flows with better atomization which will improve low end performance and reduce emissions. I swapped mine out and noticed that it uns alot better at idle without any other mods. On a level road, I can gradually shift through all five gears without touching the gas or the motor bucking.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dukie564
These are the equivalent to the injectors used on renix engines stock from the factory, but seal a bit better and are more reliable. . They don't flow as well as the later model injectors, so they would be a step in the opposite direction for you. Dunno if they are 4 hole type or not either.

Get yourself some Neon *703 injectors
They are the four hole type. Before I bought them, I looked all over the internet to make sure I was making the right decision and I still felt unsure about it after reading probably every injector thread in existence. There are several sellers on ebay and other sites that sell these injectors or equivalent and they all say they are for Cherokee 4.0's 87-95. I just wanted to see if there was anyone on here that has them on there hiIgh output motor and if they got better gas mileage and a smoother idle. That's all I'm after. GAS IS EXPENSIVE. I talked to a guy at my local jeep dealership today about them and he believes that they should do what I want them to do. I'll install them this week and worse case scenario, I'll clean my stock injectors, put new o rings on them and put them back on. WE SHALL SEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

good luck. don't forget to reset the pcm, and wait 50 startup cycles before staring to monitor the fuel usage
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dukie564
good luck. don't forget to reset the pcm, and wait 50 startup cycles before staring to monitor the fuel usage
When you say "wait" does that mean I shouldn't start it 25 times one day and 25 times the next? What should I expect for fuel usage during this time? Resetting the pcm on a 93 is just touching the battery terminals together for 30 seconds, turning the key on, then the lights on 10 times or for 10 seconds (whichever) and then starting it?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Originally Posted by rollingstone
When you say "wait" does that mean I shouldn't start it 25 times one day and 25 times the next? What should I expect for fuel usage during this time? Resetting the pcm on a 93 is just touching the battery terminals together for 30 seconds, turning the key on, then the lights on 10 times or for 10 seconds (whichever) and then starting it?
i mean wait to check how your gas mileage has been affected until the PCM has adjusted to the new injectors. This can take up to 50 start-up cycles to happen fully. And just to note, a start-up cycle is not engine on-engine off, it has to reach operating temperature and stay there for a bit each cycle.

In other words, you need to drive it normally, and check it after 50 or so trips, say to work and back. Fuel usage will probably be a bit high for a while due to the factory air/fuel trim settings.

And yes your reset procedure is correct, except key off at the end, not start.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, thanks. One more quick question though. From what I understand, my stock injectors have a fuel pressure of 39 psi and a static flow of 21lbs/hr. Apparently, when fuel injectors are rated, its at 100% duty cycle which under normal circumstances isn't the case. Under normal driving conditions, a fuel injector shouldn't exceed 80% duty cycle. If 80% of 21 (lbs/hr my stock injectors are rated) is 16.8, and the four hole Bosch injectors are rated for 19lbs/hr, than why is resetting the PCM necessary? The way I see it, imagine a man with two cows. One cow has a teat with one hole, and the other cow has a teat with four holes. The man is looking for the best teat to saturate a towel. If the man uses equal strength on each teat, he would yield better results from the cow with the four hole teat. Wouldn't that mean that for what I'm trying to achieve (better gas mileage through better atomization of fuel) that I shouldn't have to reset anything? That I could just allow the same amount of fuel that goes through my injectors now, go through my four hole injectors and with that better spray get better gas mileage? Forgive me if this sounds crazy.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

Great analogy about the cow!!

Be carefull when you talk about 4 hole Bosch injectors being rated at ??? lb/hr. I have some 4 hole Bosch injectors that are rated at 20 lb/hr (in my Jeep) and some at 34.5 lb/hr (in my TPI SBC Chevelle). If you install injectors with higher or lower fuel delivery rate from the ones that you are removing, you need to reset the ECU so that it will relearn the relationship between how high the duty cycle is and how much fuel is delivered. If you stroke the one teet 2 inches and get 4 ounces, and the other 2 inches and get 6 ounces then you know it will only take two strokes of the second to fill a 12 ounce glass.

Hope this helps.

I recently did the swap to 20 lb/hr injectors with a lower dynamic flow rate than the 703s and did not have to reset ECU. On level ground, I can slowly shift through all five gears without touching the gas and without it bucking. I could not get past third before the swap. After I get 1000 miles on it, I will report on the mileage numbers.

Quick Reply: Bosch (ebay) injectors