Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body armour

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Body armour

I'm in the initial stages of building vehicle specific armour panels and I see all these jokes about bubble gum and double back tape to mount our Jeep armour. Has anyone walked up and down the adhesive aisle at your local home improvement store and seen the amount of glues rtv..🤔🤔I'm an aircraft sheet metal mechanic by trade and have used a plethora of aviation grade adhesives that applied properly would be more than enough to mount our body armour panels. As an up and coming manufacturer and hopefully a retailer , I think pavement pounders need body panels that have a nice clean look, so why not have an option for mounting.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Derrick Bartholomew
I'm in the initial stages of building vehicle specific armour panels and I see all these jokes about bubble gum and double back tape to mount our Jeep armour. Has anyone walked up and down the adhesive aisle at your local home improvement store and seen the amount of glues rtv..🤔🤔I'm an aircraft sheet metal mechanic by trade and have used a plethora of aviation grade adhesives that applied properly would be more than enough to mount our body armour panels. As an up and coming manufacturer and hopefully a retailer , I think pavement pounders need body panels that have a nice clean look, so why not have an option for mounting.
I'm confused... You want to make adhesives or armor? Or both...and most pavement pounders ive seen only ever have bumpers. Never full fledgedarmor.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I'm confused... You want to make adhesives or armor? Or both...and most pavement pounders ive seen only ever have bumpers. Never full fledgedarmor.
Sorry for the confusion. I want to build armour, and pop rivets are great but I don't always like drilling holes in my sheet metal and as far as pavement pounders with bling go....You've never been to Seattle lol.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Derrick Bartholomew
Sorry for the confusion. I want to build armour, and pop rivets are great but I don't always like drilling holes in my sheet metal and as far as pavement pounders with bling go....You've never been to Seattle lol.
California shares this annoying quality as well.

I see where you're going and it would definitely be a new, lightweight approach. However, I can see people actually abusing their rigs with this sort of thing and then blaming you or other retailers for selling something that wasn't strong, as if it wasn't obvious. Not to say there isn't a market for it...ever seen brake caliper covers - Disgrace, but people buy them.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just gorilla glue them on.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Originally Posted by S10cherokee
Just gorilla glue them on.
Originally Posted by esteem
California shares this annoying quality as well.

I see where you're going and it would definitely be a new, lightweight approach. However, I can see people actually abusing their rigs with this sort of thing and then blaming you or other retailers for selling something that wasn't strong, as if it wasn't obvious. Not to say there isn't a market for it...ever seen brake caliper covers - Disgrace, but people buy them.
Yes!!! Brake caliper covers and don't forget spinners.. spinners....
Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

You neglect one important detail in your theory. THE CRAFTSMAN. Your typical DIY, shade tree mechanic will not follow the correct procedure for fastening panels with adhesive. Then the panels will fall off driving down the interstate.

If you have the knowledge, skill, and equipment to properly install with adhesive, carry on with your bad self. I don't see a market for it though. See some real liability issues though.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by bad_idea
You neglect one important detail in your theory. THE CRAFTSMAN. Your typical DIY, shade tree mechanic will not follow the correct procedure for fastening panels with adhesive. Then the panels will fall off driving down the interstate.

If you have the knowledge, skill, and equipment to properly install with adhesive, carry on with your bad self. I don't see a market for it though. See some real liability issues though.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Seems stupid. If you don't want to do it right don't do it at all.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my thought on it... It could work for something like sitting at a show to reveal a new product. And thats about it. For every day driving, body armour is heavy and it could and would fall off. Not just might, it would fall off, causing injury to others and possibly a lawsuit on your hands
Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by bad_idea

Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I never meant to say it is a terrible idea, just not a viable option for DIY. I know body shops and OEMs attach body panels with an adhesive. I don't see an issue with a properly bonded armor panel, even beating it on the trails. I have no data, but I am sure adhesive will hold at least as well as self tapping screws. Possibly as well as through bolts. If you go forward with the idea, I'd like to see how it turns out.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by S10cherokee
Here is my thought on it... It could work for something like sitting at a show to reveal a new product. And thats about it. For every day driving, body armour is heavy and it could and would fall off. Not just might, it would fall off, causing injury to others and possibly a lawsuit on your hands
That's an extremely limited market though. Would the payoff match the effort put in?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Willys55
LMAO
Old 03-01-2018, 04:58 PM

My buddies think I'm FOS as well, that's why it's called R&D....I don't care how they're attached, my main focus is the panels. I'm hoping to have a set back from the waterjet in a couple of weeks,install them and try them out at our dunes. All I'm saying it's just nice not to have pop rivet sticking out all over. I bought a truck that was rusted to S***T because it had stuff on it that was installed halfassed.

Quick Reply: Body armour