Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Best headlights?

Headlights aren't bright enough for me.

what the best replacement for them? I live around snow and ice, so LED may not be great given the white stuff won't melt off??
Old 05-01-2017, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Man you might as well ask what oil is best, or who makes the best 5.56 ammo, lol.

Start with the putco harness upgrade, if you still want it brighter, my vote is for Trucklites.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I just put these in mine. I'm super happy with them so far. They don't look like parts from a terminator robot and they allow you to use a wide variety of H4 bulbs. Halogen, HID, or Led.

Also, being made by hella, they aren't crummy Chinese knockoffs that have the look but the beam patterns are all wrong. These things actually put the light where you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Originally Posted by CanaJeep
Headlights aren't bright enough for me.

what the best replacement for them? I live around snow and ice, so LED may not be great given the white stuff won't melt off??
Do a harness up grade first then select headlights.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/he...pgrade-219596/
Old 05-01-2017, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Do a harness up grade first then select headlights.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/he...pgrade-219596/
Do what this guy said ^^^^ And yes be warned that the LED headlights are not the best for melting snow.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
Man you might as well ask what oil is best, or who makes the best 5.56 ammo, lol.

Start with the putco harness upgrade, if you still want it brighter, my vote is for Trucklites.
The cheapest I can buy in bulk that isnt steel case.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by LACK
The cheapest I can buy in bulk that isnt steel case.
Lol, true true. My AR gobbles up steel case no issue, but my stored stuff is all M855.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

headlight harness and h4 housings like hella brand.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

HARNESS FIRST!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
Not really. For XJ's, "What's the best headlight?" is very easy to answer as there are few demonstrably outstanding options.

JW Speaker.

Runners-up?

Truck-lite
Cibie with Philips xtreme vision +100 bulbs
GE Nighthawk LED

Are there other decent options? Sure, enough to complicate the answer to "What are some good headlights for XJ?" but if the question is "Which is best?" the answer is simple.

But of course, the OP needs to upgrade their harness first. Always always always get those headlights on relays!

Read it!---->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/headlights-203245/

Originally Posted by LJRockstar
I just put these in mine.... and they allow you to use a wide variety of H4 bulbs. Halogen, HID, or Led.
No no no NO! You'd better only be putting H4 bulbs in those housings. Anything else is illegal, unsafe, and ineffective.

Last edited by mschi772; 05-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:57 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by mschi772
No no no NO! You'd better only be putting H4 bulbs in those housings. Anything else is illegal, unsafe, and ineffective.
Illegal? Maybe in your state. In NY there might be a law on the books about it, but its certainly not enforced.

Unsafe? HID: If you buy a QUALITY set, not the $50 eBay ones, install them PROPERLY and take two minutes to aim them PROPERLY there is no safety issue that I can see.

LED: I have no rebuttal, I feel that LED's are for turn signals and home lighting at most.

Ineffective? Hardly. Again if installed and Aimed properly in a quality H4 housing and you're not installing the 10,000K purple ones, they are HIGHLY effective vs. standard Halogen bulbs. I have 10's of thousands of miles of experience to back this up in several different vehicles. Both Bi-xenon style and Xenon/low halogen/high styles.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Illegal? Maybe in your state. In NY there might be a law on the books about it, but its certainly not enforced.

Unsafe? HID: If you buy a QUALITY set, not the $50 eBay ones, install them PROPERLY and take two minutes to aim them PROPERLY there is no safety issue that I can see.

LED: I have no rebuttal, I feel that LED's are for turn signals and home lighting at most.

Ineffective? Hardly. Again if installed and Aimed properly in a quality H4 housing and you're not installing the 10,000K purple ones, they are HIGHLY effective vs. standard Halogen bulbs. I have 10's of thousands of miles of experience to back this up in several different vehicles. Both Bi-xenon style and Xenon/low halogen/high styles.
I would love to see how you used those housings with HIDs and did not blind everyone.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Well that sir, is just chock full o' fail.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Legality
HID's in halogen housings violate federal lighting guidelines that all states are subject to. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e49.6.571_1108

Safety
H4 housings' optics are designed to focus light from an H4 filament. HID arcs are a very different source of light (there is a graphic showing this in my Headlights thread if you'd ever take the time to read it). Saying that they work the same is like putting on someone else's glasses of different prescription and claiming they work the same as yours. Ask anyone with any REAL experience, and they'll tell you the same. Just because you've been putting HID's into halogen housings for a long time and many miles doesn't mean you have any real experience/expertise; it just means you've been doing something stupid for a long time.

LED
Optics again. Light is not emitted from LED "bulbs" the same way it is from a filament therefore the optics of the housing will not focus it correctly.

Fighting with me about headlights is like picking an oil fight with Salad. I'd like to see you take your position to somewhere like CandlePowerForums or another venue full of true lighting geeks/experts. You'd be laughed right off of the internet.

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
I would love to see how you used those housings with HIDs and did not blind everyone.
Probably by aiming them way down, thus wasting even more light.

Last edited by mschi772; 05-03-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mschi772
Probably by aiming them way down, thus wasting even more light.
I was thinking lots of black tape around the lens leaving a 1"x1" opening. I dont think there is enough adjustment in the housings to point them down far enough! haha.

BTW - I love my Truck-lites!

Last edited by 5-Speed; 05-03-2017 at 05:16 PM.