Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent stock front axle. Now what? No $$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent stock front axle. Now what? No $$$

My front D30 3.73 is fubar. What should I do now? I'm a young "starving" part-time student, full time mechanic at a hot rod restoration shop. I have every tool I'll need to change axles, I do it weekly. However, I need guidance on what I should do! I want to put something in temporary, while I wait for chromoly d30 axle shafts, truss and gusset my original axle while its out of my "Heep". So what is the absolutely cheapest route I could take to get this baby mobile. Its my only vehicle. The front end is making all sorts of crunchy bit noises, I don't think it'll last much longer. Not to mention I'm driving on my destroyed my lower arm mount, I'm currently waiting for 1/4 inch ones to come in the mail, however, I don't feel that changing those is going to fix my problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Jareduhhh
My front D30 3.73 is fubar. What should I do now? I'm a young "starving" part-time student, full time mechanic at a hot rod restoration shop. I have every tool I'll need to change axles, I do it weekly. However, I need guidance on what I should do! I want to put something in temporary, while I wait for chromoly d30 axle shafts, truss and gusset my original axle while its out of my "Heep". So what is the absolutely cheapest route I could take to get this baby mobile. Its my only vehicle. The front end is making all sorts of crunchy bit noises, I don't think it'll last much longer. Not to mention I'm driving on my destroyed my lower arm mount, I'm currently waiting for 1/4 inch ones to come in the mail, however, I don't feel that changing those is going to fix my problem.
Jy 2wd xj axle
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Hell..JY D30..

Just dont use 4wd cause i doubt youll find a 3.73 one
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Ever pull front cover off ?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Year: 2000

Long as the axle itself isnt fubar. Pull driveshaft, axleshafts, reinstall stub shafts into hub bearings. Stick a towel in the tubes and duct tape it shut. This will allow you to drive it without anything in the chunk spinning and the stub shafts will keep the right pre load on your bearings.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Jy 2wd xj axle
I was really hoping I could do that! Would it work? I saw a bunch of 2wd xj front axles at the jy, the mounting looked exactly how mine is but it seemed to simple to be true.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MuscleHead
Long as the axle itself isnt fubar. Pull driveshaft, axleshafts, reinstall stub shafts into hub bearings. Stick a towel in the tubes and duct tape it shut. This will allow you to drive it without anything in the chunk spinning and the stub shafts will keep the right pre load on your bearings.
he wants to work on housingg out of xj ...remember...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

I was really hoping I could do that! Would it work? I saw a bunch of 2wd xj front axles at the jy, the mounting looked exactly how mine is but it seemed to simple to be true.
just try and get same year work backwards as a 4wd conversion would plug and play.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by freegdr
he wants to work on housingg out of xj ...remember...
He also said he has no $$$$. Thats the absolute no out of pocket way to make the vehicle driveable to get to work and school.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

You're local but on the other side of town. The junk yard off Lamb has a few 2wd Comanche trucks there. And some 2wd ZJs as well. Just pull the front end and swap yours. Pull your front drive shaft too and drive it for a temp fix with the 2wd axle. Doubt you will find a 3.73 anywhere in the valley.