Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banks exhaust lower bolt clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Banks exhaust lower bolt clearance issue

Hey all, I recently replaced my head gasket and decided to get a banks exhaust manifold. I am able to hand tighten all the bolts for both the intake and exhaust, however bolt #1 (second one in from the back) I am having clearance issues getting a socket on it due to the manifold pipe being at a slight angle compared to the stock one. Anyone had this issue with a banks exhaust manifold?
Attached Thumbnails Banks exhaust lower bolt clearance issue-img_1215.jpg   Banks exhaust lower bolt clearance issue-img_1214.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

What kind of sockets/wrenches are you using? My Snap-on stuff always fits where non pro tools don't. If you are super close to getting the tool onto the fastener, borrow or buy the one size you need in a pro version.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

are you using a short socket or a mid length?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 PM

I'm using craftsman socket, have tried both deepwell and regular and both hit the side tube of the manifold. I've tried from the top and bottom of the car and still can't get either socket on it. I'm always at a slight angle trying to get it on the bolt head.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by levi_v
I'm using craftsman socket, have tried both deepwell and regular and both hit the side tube of the manifold. I've tried from the top and bottom of the car and still can't get either socket on it. I'm always at a slight angle trying to get it on the bolt head.
Snap on makes a super short socket. That could work. Do you have access to a universal joint adapter for your socket?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepification
Snap on makes a super short socket. That could work. Do you have access to a universal joint adapter for your socket?
Don't think it's the depth of the socket that is the problem, it's the side clearance. Yes, I have swivel adapters.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by levi_v
Don't think it's the depth of the socket that is the problem, it's the side clearance. Yes, I have swivel adapters.
Gotcha. How about a thin wrench? It's hard to tell from the pic if that would be better.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepification
Gotcha. How about a thin wrench? It's hard to tell from the pic if that would be better.
I was able to finally get it... I was using 14mm sockets, which fit the bolts heads perfectly and switched over to a 9/16 socket. There is slightly more play on the bolt head with the 9/16 which allowed me to fit it on the bolt head 90% of the way. I used a light up top to see the bolt through the intake, climbed into the car and reached below with my 3/8 ratchet and swivel. Can't get a torque wrench on it so I'll just have to approximate.

Picture shows the slight angle my socket sits at because of the tube clearance. When they manufactured it they could have made that exhaust tube routed a little more to the left like the stock exhaust manifold.
Attached Thumbnails Banks exhaust lower bolt clearance issue-img_1220.png