Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driver motor swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default Daily driver motor swap questions

Alright, hoping this isn't a repeat of anything recent, cause it's kind of odd and I haven't been able to find what I need anywhere yet.

So the breakdown is my daily driver, a 92 2-door cherokee sport with an inline 6 4.0 and 5-speed tranny, is starting to show its age. At about 230k original miles, it's drank a gallon of oil in around 4-6 week's time as well as some other roughnesses (I've had several people over the last two years tell me it sounds like a diesel when it idles). All in, for the trouble and time, I think it's time for a rebuild or swap before we're sitting roadside waiting for a tow. But here's my dilemma.

All my research so far has it looking like a replacement or rebuild of what's already in it are running me close to $2k either way, well over any budget I can get together before it goes. The alternative is that several people have suggested I look at swapping to a different motor altogether, but I have yet to come across something that seems like an easy enough switch.

So the question is, is there anything out there that is a budget friendly easy swap for the original jeep inline 6? Ideally I need to be able to to do this in a week or less without having to change out everything else under the hood (tranny, driveshaft lengths, ect). I can do motor mounts and such no problem, it's just budget/time constraints mainly. I don't need anything ridiculous cause i'm not driving up rock walls, but I would like it to be just as durable as the original. Any help is appreciated greatly.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by VoidSuicide
Alright, hoping this isn't a repeat of anything recent, cause it's kind of odd and I haven't been able to find what I need anywhere yet.

So the breakdown is my daily driver, a 92 2-door cherokee sport with an inline 6 4.0 and 5-speed tranny, is starting to show its age. At about 230k original miles, it's drank a gallon of oil in around 4-6 week's time as well as some other roughnesses (I've had several people over the last two years tell me it sounds like a diesel when it idles). All in, for the trouble and time, I think it's time for a rebuild or swap before we're sitting roadside waiting for a tow. But here's my dilemma.

All my research so far has it looking like a replacement or rebuild of what's already in it are running me close to $2k either way, well over any budget I can get together before it goes. The alternative is that several people have suggested I look at swapping to a different motor altogether, but I have yet to come across something that seems like an easy enough switch.

So the question is, is there anything out there that is a budget friendly easy swap for the original jeep inline 6? Ideally I need to be able to to do this in a week or less without having to change out everything else under the hood (tranny, driveshaft lengths, ect). I can do motor mounts and such no problem, it's just budget/time constraints mainly. I don't need anything ridiculous cause i'm not driving up rock walls, but I would like it to be just as durable as the original. Any help is appreciated greatly.
ummm another 4.0?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Year: 1992

I haven't been able to find anything used in my area under $1500 yet, so may as well get the rebuilt for 2k. This was mainly a question of if anything existed.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

If the cylinder bores are in good shape, you may only need rings and valve stem seals to remedy the oil consumption problem. That would be fairly quick and not too expensive. If the loud engine is from piston slap you may need to replace the pistons as well which is still not too expensive. Then you can save longer for other parts of an overhaul such as a valve job and bearings.

Short of having to bore the cylinders and major head work most can be done without too much expense.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

No simple swap. Put another 4.0 in.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 2.5

Just did it to my son's 01 xj over Christmas break.
NO simple swap other than another I-L 4.0 6cyl..
Sorry.

And to make things easier get a NEW clutch assy trans seals/mounts. (pull the trans/transfer case, drive shaft first! then the flywheel to be surfaced and or lightened while your doing the motor side. That way the machine shop can have it done and you're not stuck trying to find that stuff when you're ready to put the motor back in) Believe me.. When you spend all sorts of time and YOUR money (and blood) and you have it all back together, and after the break-in you take it for its first shakedown run and the clutch chatters as you let out the clutch, It will cut yer ***** off... (figure of speach.)

Don't forget to get on Rock auto NOW and get all the 'little' stuff like motor mounts, gaskets, o2 sensor(s) fuel filter(s) plugs/wires/sensors/ filters...
and see if they have any liquidation sale for a whole new distributor! You DON'T want to run a 230K mi gear on a new cam do you? While you now have an empty engine bay, replace your control arms! Cheap from Rockauto, and simple if the bolts don't break off.
(also, read up on Cruisers tune up tips (above) While you have the motor out, time to clean/degrease/fix any bad connections/grounds etc..

Also those soft rubber (by now) 90* vacuum connectors that go to the manifold and charcoal can (at 230+ miles, things are more than likely going to snap/break/tear/fall apart when you try to take them off.. AND that's JUST the little rubber stuff.. If you live in the rust belt, other more expensive things will snap or break off inside. Start now by spraying PB-Blaster or Kroil if you can find it on all/any nuts/bolts etc that will be taken apart)

SO, if you don't think you can handle it. start asking close RELIABLE shops to give you a WRITTEN QUOTE (should be good for a month or so.) That all YOU have to come up with is $$$$. (if it's paid off, go to your bank and get a signature loan or use your title as collateral to help pay for it. Should be able to get a decent %rate.

I 'thought' that since I already had the shortblock already built, that I'd be all in for a few hundred..
Well, that DIDN'T happen
Also, maybe a new radiator. New motors run hot for a bit til it breaks in and friction drops a bit. (it's a slippery slope)

Errol

Last edited by rockosocko; 04-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.