Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad head gasket, so while I'm at it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bad head gasket, so while I'm at it...

I recently discovered water in my oil. since i have to take everything off the head to replace the gasket, I figured i'd replace or improve everything i could. I want to put on a 99+ intake, switch the accessory bracket to one out of a 4.0 ZJ (eliminates mechanical fan pulley). and throw in a ZJ steering pump and alternator. I know the basics of what I need with each swap, everything seems to have a write up, except one thing.

I have an 89 4.0 renix engine. what kind of problems am I looking at with the intake manifold? and what can I do to fix these problems? I know everything will bolt up fine, but will the ports line up? if not can I swap in an h.o. head? should I get a different intake manifold?

I know the obvious things, like I need a 94 ish throttle body and fuel rail. I know that with the alternator swap I need to do some creative wiring. I know that they didn't change the bolt patterns on the block for the most part, so I'm pretty sure the accessory bracket wont be an issue. it's mostly the manifold that I'm curious about.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM

seriously, nobody has any answers? I figured since I couldn't turn up anything in the search it was common knowledge that i'm missing out on. but not even a "go search for it you lazy twit"?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Ok. I'll try! I don't think you will have any trouble with the swap. However, since you have the head off, why not have a machine shop do a good 3 angle valve job and swap in a good set of 703 injectors. Maybe find a used HO head and have it worked over and swap it on. If you plan on a header, do a search to find out what you are up against as far as fitment. And while you have it torn apart, take the opportunity to clean everything up under the hood and maybe give it a coat of paint. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM

thanks for the info dude. and pardon my ignorance, but whats a 3 angle valve job, and what are the benefits. I know a guy who's a machinist by trade, and he might have the machines to do it. also, what would make the h/o head better? I intend to try and match the parts up at the junkyard so I can leave with what i need and not go back for a while. and 703 injectors were in order.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 PM

A 3-angle valve job is where the machinist uses 3 different angle cutters when he machines the valve seat. This is meant to provide a more gentle radius at the valve seat to enhance flow. If your machinist has done any high performance engine work, he will know what it is. Usually the cost is minimal, because they are machining the valve seat during a valve job anyway. Remember, an engine is merely a big air pump. Easy in and easy out increases efficency and thus performance.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

You'll need to get rid of the Renix head before you can use the newer style manifold.

The two middle exhaust ports are shared on the Renix. Not on the later motors.

There is a write up on how to do the HO/Renix hybrid in the write up section. Huntingman did it.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM

thanks shadowman. i'll check it out. and gee oh dee, I read the write up but he also uses an h.o. block. I'll be using a renix block, not sure if it matters.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Sorry for the double post. I'm also considering porting it, either oval or to the size of the gasket. how do you guys feel about this?