Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backspacing question & Tire/rim decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 & 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 Cherokee Backspacing question & Tire/rim decisions

Hello, All.
Well, I'm a little closer to wrench turning time; putting it all together. Have all my lift components, per an 'Up Country' 2" lift, on my '98 Cherokee....now down to finding/picking tires and rims that will fit, with no rub, if possible. As such, I am looking at some 265/75/R15 tires (TOYO open country A/T II---which I have on my 99 currently, though smaller, and like)---or some 31 x 10.50 x 15s (either TOYO open country M/Ts, or Dick Cepek trail country EXP A/Ts ) . I would really like to try the M/Ts, as I've never run such, but do not know how they are with snow. The choices I've made are based mostly on price, as, for now, they fit my budget, and are in packages offered by Desert Rat and Quadratec. Though if I went with the TOYO A/Ts, i'd get my best price buying wheels an rims separately. Any opinions on driveability or better options would be appreciated.
As to rims, I am looking at Tactik, (cheapest, but I do not know if they will fit), Pro Comp soft 8s, and Mountain Crawler. Pro Comps lists dimensions as -19.05mm OFFSET 3.75 BACKSPACE----Tactik dimensions -12.7mm OFFSET 4.00 BACKSPACE----and the Mountain Crawlers are on the TOYO M/T package deal from desert rat, and show NO dimensions so I'd call to be sure. Price for any of these packages run about the same, but the Quadratec deal may be best with 5 tires.
What I want to know is, the backspacing/offset dimensions---of either of those above, would one be preferable over the other? I'm looking to keep my tires/wheels tucked in neatly, without sacrificing too much flex, or causing rubbing, in any way. If they stick out a little, that's ok; I just don't want a matchbox/monster truck kind of look. Any pics as a point of reference would be appreciated.
I have done much searching/looking before posting, and have not found too many direct answers, and the last pic someone posted on one of my posts for reference has since disappeared. I think I'm on the right track, just looking for clarification. I know you get what you pay for, and I try not to buy junk, either. I hope the above, even if they are cheaper options, are not junk.
Thanks, everyone, for helping me sort through all of this.

Last edited by 9998Cherokees; 02-10-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

In my experiance with 31x10.5x15 wheels and tires. I had to trim at 3.5" of lift. Cut the front fender and cut the front of the flair. Also had to trim the back of the flair. Add 3 pucks to bumpstop. The rear not so much. Just extended bumpstops but will still get into the flair a little when loaded down with gear. I ended up adding another 1" lift in the front with a spacer. If my goal was to make it look like an upcountry package on steroids (+1" lift) 2" total. I'd stick with a 30x9.5x15 tire. Cherokees that run this combo have a great look. Plus you'll retain your driveability in stock form, retain your spare tire in the stock location and gearing will be closer to stock. If you have the stock steel wheels. You can clean them up and repaint them. I personaly like this look. 31" tires and 3.55 gears don't work the best. Is it doable YES but 4.10 is where I want to be. Your milage may very. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are certainly some good deals on other jeep rims out there... I put 2017 wrangler wheels on mine and love....

but it is most important to decide the purpose and goals... off road and climbing, gas mileage.. etc.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Year: 1998 & 1999
Engine: 4.0

@ The Joey....I just want to throw a quick "THANKYOU" your way, for the info/insight you threw my way....spent the last week thinking/considering/researching other Jeep forums & website, and decided to follow your lead some. In fact, I've 5 TOYO 30 x 9.50 x 15 tires arriving @ my house today. Reason I went with these tires specifically is simple: Few days ago I got a call from a friend with much less (read: NONE) wheeling experience than I. We had just gotten 10"+ of snow night before, and she had gotten stuck in a LONG driveway (quarter mile +) that had been unused before her, with ice underneath.
Long story short, I made it up to her Durango and back out with no problems or real effort. Even got her "unstuck" without my Jeep, just by rocking it, haha. Point is, I am no hardcore expert wheeler, but I know a lil'...and those tires WORKED. Should note, the Jeep I was driving was my stock 99, with toyo 225/75/15s....I really wish I coulda gotten some pics; but that's hard to do when driving, lol.
I'm still scratching my head, though, when you mention keeping my spare in the stock location....I tried that with my 99 with the 225s and couldn't do it...could you explain?
Also....my 99 has the steel wheels; the 98 I'm upgrading, OEM alloys. Do you really think I need to switch rims for the steel ones to the 30s, and why, other than strength? I figured the lighter rims would be better, though I am considering regearing to 3.73s, anyway, in case I add some weight, etc.

The Joey, and everyone else here who has been so kind (and patient) when offering input/advice....MANY thanks, again.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

First off you are welcome. You don't need to switch to steel wheels. I was just stating that I like the way it looks with them. Run what you like. About the spare tire. I have a 95 and it has a sound bar in the rear overhead. I removed the lower metal tire mount and deflated my 31" spare. unlatch the rear seat, put the tire into position, tighten down, push the seat back into place. I carry a portable air compressor to air it up if needed. I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by klorenz

There are certainly some good deals on other jeep rims out there... I put 2017 wrangler wheels on mine and love....

but it is most important to decide the purpose and goals... off road and climbing, gas mileage.. etc.
Anything like a 3/4 or isometric view of that? The wheels look great, and I'm interested in changing mine
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM

I appreciated the 1.25 spacers more but 1.5 kept me from trimming lugs... they line up nicely and track well. Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by klorenz; 02-20-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Adds
Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Thanks, man. That truck is simply gorgeous...

I got a set of wheels for nearly free before I really understood what was going on. I bought spacers, and want to see what everything looks like before giving up on them, but I'm betting it will look funky and I'll decide to do something a little more traditional.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by double_0_7
Thanks, man. That truck is simply gorgeous...

I got a set of wheels for nearly free before I really understood what was going on. I bought spacers, and want to see what everything looks like before giving up on them, but I'm betting it will look funky and I'll decide to do something a little more traditional.
Good luck! Funky can be quite fun too... jeep wheels are certainly traditional but nobody over here has the same sesaon their xj so it makes it a little less cookie cutter, but set up still followed the same simple rules.. lots of info out there for that. Post pics when done... we all want to see I'm sure...
Old 02-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by klorenz
Good luck! Funky can be quite fun too... jeep wheels are certainly traditional but nobody over here has the same sesaon their xj so it makes it a little less cookie cutter, but set up still followed the same simple rules.. lots of info out there for that. Post pics when done... we all want to see I'm sure...
The ones I have are from a 2016 WRX. They have the wrong hub diameter, so I bought lug centric spacers, the thinnest I could find. At the time (I bought these months ago) i was just searching for 5 x 114.5...I think they look really slick, and still hope they aren't too bad once I get them on. I'm in the middle of a crap-ton of work, so it's not on the road anyway.

These are the wheels, 18"...