Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ba10/5 to AX15...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ba10/5 to AX15...

I have an 87 XJ with a ba10/5 turd in it right now that just went out and I've been planning on doing an ax15 swap for awhile now. I just picked up an ax15 with tcase out of a 1996 XJ with 162k from a yard for $175 and plan on rebuilding it and swapping it. After doing some searching I am very confident in getting this done easily at my work (I work at a GM dealership with any/all tools I need) I just am not entirely what all parts I need for the swap and I'm not entirely sure on fitment of the transfer case with my current driveshafts? I have the ax15 tranny with the clutch fork but no master and slave cylinder. I just put a new clutch kit in less than 100 miles before the pukegot went out. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to find a direct solution to most of this anywhere

-Rear driveshaft, can I use my old one? Output on the new tcase looks a little longer with the rubber boot on it but I havent been able to take any measurements yet

-Front axle is currently vacuum disconnect, new tcase is not (Obviously). Should I just get a whole new front axle? Is there an easier or better option?

-Is the clutch disc kit from the pukegot going to work with the ax15 (aside from the throw out bearing)? I checked on Rockauto and the part numbers are different from each kit but I'm assuming thats only because of the bearings

-I already ordered a master cylinder, hose, external slave cylinder, and throw out bearing, I think I just need some mounting bolts for the pair, anyone know what size bolts these are?

-Can I reuse the bellhousing bolts from the pukegot?

-One of my crossmember bolts is stripped out, anyone know what size these are? So I can replace them as well as knowing what size hole to drill and tap for the new mount?

-I don't have all the linkage for my tcase, does anyone have an extra set of these lying around?

-Pilot bearing, 1996 ax15 with an 87 XJ, best fit would be out of a 73-75 cj5 with 304 v8?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

You need the clutch, and pilot bushing for the ax15. Keep your year fly wheel.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then there is a difference between the clutches because of the external slave? Good thing the clutch kits are cheap. Thanks odgreen
Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Went from ba to nv here. Clutch should work. You need a pilot bearing/bushing that goes from amc crank to large ax 15 shaft. Chrylser changed bore size in 91. Need mount and bracket for ax 15. Also cross member will move back in frame holes are there all ready in frame and tapped. Good time to do sye and front drive shaft in rear up grade unless you can locate donor rear shaft dont think stock from ba will work. Bell housing bolts will work. I just used my vacuum switch from ba on sye upgrade for cad axle. Might just install posi lock cable for front axle if not doing sye up grade. And deff use stock fly wheel. I installed a new on seeing its been there since 1989. As for linkage need from 94 deff different the way it mounts to case than it did factory ba setup. Ebay can help on these parts auto will be different from ax here also. Research alot....https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ap+xj+write+up

Last edited by freegdr; 02-16-2016 at 08:41 AM.