Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AXles

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default AXles

So I don’t know a much about axles and gear ratio and all that but I want to upgrade my rear axel to a Dana 44. I understand that the gear ratio needs to be the same in the front and back but I don’t know much about any of it. Also I would wanna add lockers when I do the upgrade. So if anyone could provide some knowledge it’d be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Add***

also I really don’t know what the upgrade would do so if someone could also add that, that’d be great.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Brady733
also I really don’t know what the upgrade would do so if someone could also add that, that’d be great.
you're asking for a whole explanation on a subject that's been greatly discussed and reviewed throughout the years. It is easier for you and us if you did some research beforehand, and then came back here with more specific questions. I mean, come on man you don't even know what changing gears would do and you want to do it haha. Research a bit, get some info, and ask specific questions and responses will be more direct to what you are really wanting to know , and that way youbwill be able to ask better follow-up questions as well. Axles and gears are a huge subject and not something that is quickly taught.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Martlor13
you're asking for a whole explanation on a subject that's been greatly discussed and reviewed throughout the years. It is easier for you and us if you did some research beforehand, and then came back here with more specific questions. I mean, come on man you don't even know what changing gears would do and you want to do it haha. Research a bit, get some info, and ask specific questions and responses will be more direct to what you are really wanting to know , and that way youbwill be able to ask better follow-up questions as well. Axles and gears are a huge subject and not something that is quickly taught.
It's much easier to set the "climate control" and let it do the work for you than to reach up and turn the heater on and off as needed.

Where have you been the last 15 years? lol
Old 11-19-2017, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
It's much easier to set the "climate control" and let it do the work for you than to reach up and turn the heater on and off as needed.

Where have you been the last 15 years? lol
brrooooooooo..... that analogy is sweet haha!!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I don’t know a much about axles and gear ratio and all that but I want to upgrade my rear axel to a Dana 44. I understand that the gear ratio needs to be the same in the front and back but I don’t know much about any of it. Also I would wanna add lockers when I do the upgrade. So if anyone could provide some knowledge it’d be greatly appreciated.
First of all, what size tire are you planning to run, and do you have an auto or manual trans? The tire size plays an important role in determining the optimal gear ratio.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Martlor13
brrooooooooo..... that analogy is sweet haha!!
How can it be fixed? lol
Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need this upgrade.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Which rear axle do you have now a dana 35 or chrysler 8.25 ?If its a chrysler 8.25 leave it be its strong enough for 35s if you have a dana 35 then sway in a chrysler 8.25.I would fully skip a dana 44 in the rear,The only ones that bolt in are from a very few years xjs and people ask a lot of money for them.The chrysler 8.25 and dana 44 are pretty much a tie on how strong they are and the chrysler 8.25 was used a long time super easy and cheap to find.On your gear ratio you have whats the engine and trans you have ?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Intended use for the vehicle? Why do you need to upgrade the rear axle? Figure out your planned use for the vehicle. Then figure out how much lift and tire you need to accomplish that goal. Then sort out the axles. Axles should be built to support a size tire w/ a size engine, geared to match a size of tire.