Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Types

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4d56td
Default Axle Types

Hi, im about to buy the 4.88 R&P , but sometimes i see auctions for other type than the dana 35 , for example i see this one that describes

stamped richmond on ring gear,,0432-1 on ring,,0433-1 on pinion

the other

4.88 Ring & Pinion kits12 bolts GM 8.875 come with bolts

other

Precision Gear GM 8.5" Ring and Pinion Gear Set 4.88 Ratio

other
Strange Chevy 10 bolt ring and pinion 4.88 ratio

other
The item # on the box is 01-885488. This item # is for a chevy 10 bolt

so , how do i know which ford axle or chevy oe gm description will fit the dana 35 axle , i have tried to google it but its frying my peanut...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Get the one that says it's for the Dana 35 since that's what axle you have

Also check vendor area for some deals
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

No ford or chevy or honda R&P's will fit you D35. You need gears for a D35.... (but I would get a C8.25 to regear and ditch the D35)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Rims for a Honda civic won't fit a truck. Same applies to gears. Get gears for ur axle not other axles....
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM

jaajaja , this guys are nuts , i was just trying to get the most cheap ones since i live in a foreign country , so i have to pay the shipping to miami , and the shipping to here which is calculated by pounds , those i mentioned are listed 50 or 60 us less than the D35 , but found some Yukon on 135 think im going to get those..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by preppye
Hi, im about to buy the 4.88 R&P , but sometimes i see auctions for other type than the dana 35 , for example i see this one that describes

stamped richmond on ring gear,,0432-1 on ring,,0433-1 on pinion

the other

4.88 Ring & Pinion kits12 bolts GM 8.875 come with bolts

other

Precision Gear GM 8.5" Ring and Pinion Gear Set 4.88 Ratio

other
Strange Chevy 10 bolt ring and pinion 4.88 ratio

other
The item # on the box is 01-885488. This item # is for a chevy 10 bolt

so , how do i know which ford axle or chevy oe gm description will fit the dana 35 axle , i have tried to google it but its frying my peanut...
Gears are specific to axle models. There's no such thing as a gearset for a "corporate" axle (GM, Ford, ChryCo) that will fit a non-corporate axle (Dana, AAM.)

If you have a D35, get gears for a D35. And watch the carrier break! Sometimes a change in ratio results in a much larger or smaller pinion gear, which means the ring gear has to be moved. This is a "carrier break," and means you have to swap the carrier assembly to mesh the gears properly (using the wrong carrier can either result in the gear teeth being insufficiently meshed - or not meshed at all! - or in the gears being too close to actually install in the first place!)

Some axles do not have carrier breaks - there is enough room for the ring gear thickness to be altered to account for pinion diameter (I believe the Ford 9" falls under this category.)

As far as I know, all Dana axles - model 44 and smaller - have carrier breaks (the larger axles all use tall ratios. The closest the larger axles get to having a carrier break is the D60/D61 axles, used mainly by Ford.)

Some GM axles are even worse - they have three carrier offsets, instead of two (therefore two carrier breaks, instead of just one.)

In short, don't even think about trying to adapt gears that aren't for your axle - it won't work.

EDIT - I ship internationally, so I know what you mean. You may want to ask if they'll ship USPS Priority International - that will keep the delay down, generally avoids brokerage fees, and actually makes the Customs paperwork easier (on them and you!) which means you'll get your stuff that much more quickly. And, the shipping itself is usually less than United Package Smashers/FedUp/DHL.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Gears are specific to axle models. There's no such thing as a gearset for a "corporate" axle (GM, Ford, ChryCo) that will fit a non-corporate axle (Dana, AAM.)

If you have a D35, get gears for a D35. And watch the carrier break! Sometimes a change in ratio results in a much larger or smaller pinion gear, which means the ring gear has to be moved. This is a "carrier break," and means you have to swap the carrier assembly to mesh the gears properly (using the wrong carrier can either result in the gear teeth being insufficiently meshed - or not meshed at all! - or in the gears being too close to actually install in the first place!)

Some axles do not have carrier breaks - there is enough room for the ring gear thickness to be altered to account for pinion diameter (I believe the Ford 9" falls under this category.)

As far as I know, all Dana axles - model 44 and smaller - have carrier breaks (the larger axles all use tall ratios. The closest the larger axles get to having a carrier break is the D60/D61 axles, used mainly by Ford.)

Some GM axles are even worse - they have three carrier offsets, instead of two (therefore two carrier breaks, instead of just one.)

In short, don't even think about trying to adapt gears that aren't for your axle - it won't work.

EDIT - I ship internationally, so I know what you mean. You may want to ask if they'll ship USPS Priority International - that will keep the delay down, generally avoids brokerage fees, and actually makes the Customs paperwork easier (on them and you!) which means you'll get your stuff that much more quickly. And, the shipping itself is usually less than United Package Smashers/FedUp/DHL.
that was the mess up , i thought that they had same gears for different axles , that they could fit on different ones , but i see that they cant , about the carriers i already read about that , the gears that i have on the rear are the 4.11 ratio , so this will fit 4.88 gears as well , the one on the front are different gears but also low that can fit 4.88 as well , but that was my confusion , now i know that i have to buy gears specifically for D35 and D30 axles.
thank you all for the peace of mind.