Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle lockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Axle lockers

I've heard Yukon lockers are the best just trying to see what other people have to say. What's the best/most reliable locker?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Many would say eaton's E-lockers, many ll say yukons. Many others ll say grizzly, etc.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Many would say eaton's E-lockers, many ll say yukons. Many others ll say grizzly, etc.
You forgot ARB. Hand made by artisan wallabies.

People tend not to complain about ARB lockers (aside from price). Just their air systems.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends the type you want,A lunchbox or a full carrier,selectable locker or not.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Trevordickya
I've heard Yukon lockers are the best just trying to see what other people have to say. What's the best/most reliable locker?
This is extremely open ended and left for interpretation.

Selectable: ARB, OX, Eaton E-locker (depending on axle), Yukon Zip.

Full Carrier: Detroit, Grizzly

Lunchbox: Powertrax no-slip, Aussie/Spartan/lock right.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Detroit best full carrier most reliable auto locker and on the market longer than most all the other autos.

Selectable ARB (air) known air supply issues at times, Eaton (electric) good as long as you have DC power supply
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

Don't forget lokka.com
Old 02-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Year: 1992

Honestly, how many times do these locker questions come up? Really there is no "best" locker, they all have downsides.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJmember
Honestly, how many times do these locker questions come up? Really there is no "best" locker, they all have downsides.

Really? You need to spend more time reading then you would know what ones are the best and the cheaper knock-offs. Have you heard the saying you get what you pay for, it applies to a lot of things.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:30 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Really? You need to spend more time reading then you would know what ones are the best and the cheaper knock-offs. Have you heard the saying you get what you pay for, it applies to a lot of things.
For the short time Ive been posting on here Ive seen countless posts about lockers. Ive honestly never seen a knock off locker in my life. Maybe Im not clueless as others. A simple search of this forum and or Google will net you large results of "good" lockers and what they accomplish.

P.S. Not sure why your going off about you get what you pay for? Never once said anything about buying cheap stuff lol.

Last edited by XJmember; 02-14-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by XJmember
For the short time Ive been posting on here Ive seen countless posts about lockers. Ive honestly never seen a knock off locker in my life. Maybe Im not clueless as others. A simple search of this forum and or Google will net you large results of "good" lockers and what they accomplish. P.S. Not sure why your going off about you get what you pay for? Never once said anything about buying cheap stuff lol.
x2. Lack of common sense and just a lack of intelligence. It's someone who just wanted to rant.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Some are just young and dumb but there are specs on all of the lockers and others posted the better units also in this thread. They are not all equal in performance, quality or type of locker, a lot of things to base a decision on what is best for the app. Each type of locker does have a best unit if you really check them out.

For years I have researched every motorsport part I have bought to make sure I have bought what I want the first time and best performance factor of all offered. If you don't check out the $1k items what happens if not doing the same for big ticket items get you?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have loved my ARB. If you have a good install, the only place that is in danger is the air line itself. It takes all of 3 minutes to chase down the leak and patch it at that point. I have only had that happen once.. I cut it when removing the old engine/transmission somehow haha. As long as you route it well, they are awesome. Takes 20 seconds to fill the compressor at the start of the trail... about 3 to lock, 0 to unlock. I would never run anything besides a selectable.

That being said, as long as it does what it is supposed to (haven't heard about any that don't) you'll be good to go.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

I think you have to many variables to consider with that question.
If I had a street driven jeep I would want selectable full case lockers. But I would settle on a Detroit or a grizzly. I don't even notice the Detroit in the rear of my 8.8.
My jeep is mostly a trail rig so I don't really need to unlock the axles.
You have some research to do OP.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

All lockers are not created equal. There are a few major things to consider when you purchase a locker: The alloy steel from which it is made, its intended use, the available budget, and the company's customer service and promptness in shipping.

What sets Aussie apart from the competition is our steel---the ONLY automatic locker manufactured from 100% certified made in the USA with 9310 hardened alloy steel. Lower grade alloys, while less expensive, also can equate to shorter life. Additionally, the Aussie Locker is the only automatic locker manufactured in a world-class ISO9001 certified CNC machining facility. Competitive lockers are all manufactured in foreign countries and imported.

As for intended use, Aussie Lockers are great for everyone from the beginning wheeler to rock crawling competitions to racing – all of which we do with our Aussie Locker promotional vehicles. As for budget---We know our customers want the best locker for their dollar, and we are doing that with American made products.

Quick Reply: Axle lockers