Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle fab help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Axle fab help!!

I have an 87 jeep Cherokee 5 speed I'm in the process of building I've done quite a bit of work to it already but now it's time for axle swapping! I have the ability to acquire a gm 14 bolt rear end and a Dana 44 front end except the Dana 44 is a leaf spring front end and I would like to convert it to coil spring. What I'm wondering is what are the steps and what do I need to convert the front to coil springs? any help is greatly appreciated so thank you in advance!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the 14 bolt full float or semi float ?If its a full float get it if its a semi pass on it,On the dana 44 i would pass on it its a half ton axle and only really good tell 37s.Try to find a ford dana 60 or get a dana 60 and sterling rear out of a ford super duty.And to get almost any front axle in a xj you need a swap kit most are truss https://www.tntcustoms.com/ has a lot of them or google it
Old 09-02-2017, 05:08 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

What are your welding and fab skills like?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

And what size tire you want to run in the end ?
Old 09-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
And what size tire you want to run in the end ?
I'm thinking I'll run 37's max I still want good articulation and what is the difference between full float and semi float
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/10...ing-axle-tech/

I'll ask again, but I think I already know the answer, what welding/fab skills do you have if any?

To do this properly, you'll need both. Plus a good machine. You'll need to shave all the components off the axle tube, get everything mocked up at final ride height, get the angles for the steering geometry and pinion angle in check, plus set the buckets, control arm mounts, and trackbar...you need to know what kind of suspension you're gonna run, 3-link, 4 link, or long arms, get all that geometry down, figure out your steering...it's a lot of work. Not impossible, but if you're a novice, I suggest having a knowledgeable hand to help guide you, or do the work for you.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako

I'll ask again, but I think I already know the answer, what welding/fab skills do you have if any?

To do this properly, you'll need both. Plus a good machine. You'll need to shave all the components off the axle tube, get everything mocked up at final ride height, get the angles for the steering geometry and pinion angle in check, plus set the buckets, control arm mounts, and trackbar...you need to know what kind of suspension you're gonna run, 3-link, 4 link, or long arms, get all that geometry down, figure out your steering...it's a lot of work. Not impossible, but if you're a novice, I suggest having a knowledgeable hand to help guide you, or do the work for you.
I am not the best but I can weld. What would be the best technique for welding this tig, mig, or stick? I'm running a long arm kit
Old 09-04-2017, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by roninofako

x2. Great response.

Originally Posted by XJjeeper44
I am not the best but I can weld. What would be the best technique for welding this tig, mig, or stick? I'm running a long arm kit
IMO if you gotta ask these kind of questions then you really shouldn't be tackling a project like this. Its just a matter of safety. Not saying you can't do it without the proper research and guidance, but you better know what you're doing. Its not exactly something we can put concisely into one nice little response.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
x2. Great response.

IMO if you gotta ask these kind of questions then you really shouldn't be tackling a project like this. Its just a matter of safety. Not saying you can't do it without the proper research and guidance, but you better know what you're doing. Its not exactly something we can put concisely into one nice little response.
I look at it like this:

Say you need a knee replacement. You go see the doctor, and you ask him about his skills. If his response is "Well, I'm not the greatest, but I can do stitches", then you're probably gonna go to a more qualified individual, LOL
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Well if your not a pro welder i wouldnt swap axles,What a shop will charge might kill you.Honestly you can run 35s on the stock dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 if you beef both up,And will probably be cheaper then swapping axles,No joke swapping both axles doing it yourself your looking 3k to 5k in the end.You have junkyard axles so its smart to rebuild them and new brakes and being 8 lug you need new rims it keeps adding up fast.