Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AW4 > AX15 swap

Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default AW4 > AX15 swap

ok so when i took my jeep off the road about 2yrs ago the AW4 was completely pooched....like it barely moves unless i put it in 4low so after doing my header and other misc projects im now done with school and making good money so the jeep finally gets the love its been missing for the past 2yrs and ive made the decision to convert to AX15 as in the end it will cost much less than an auto rebuild and i do prefer manual transmissions, oddly enough there just isnt that many write ups on this swap, plenty on AX15>AW4 but not the other way around so i plan to post up my findings and so on as well as if you have info on this swap please post cause theres still several questions ive yet to get answered and some of it is just trial and error which isnt a big problem as the jeep is not a daily driver, and in the end hopefully this can help other who are looking at this swap.

heres the parts i figure i need
-AX15[94+ external slave]/bellhousing

-Pilot bearing from early 70s CJ5 304/T15 https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ax-...erences-78221/

-NP231, got one from a 91YJ 4.0L/AX15/NP231 [6cyl=23spline, 4cyl=21spline]

-Drive shafts, im still reading into this to save money as i wont be doing an SYE at the moment to keep funds down, from what ive seen i can run a front shaft from an XJ...ZJ....or some chevy pickups with TH350/NP203 but still reading up on this and will figure out more once all is in place and i can take measurements for myself as what ive read so far is kind of all over the place.

-Clutch master and lines, well i was at the wrecker and grabbed measurements and pics of the firewall from the donor so i will be able to properly drill out the firewall.....well heres my measurements....i know they are a little screwy, i was looking at em once i got home and realized that i had the outer edge marked as 2.25" but that clearly didnt work with the rest of the number so i think it was supposed to be 2.75 *these numbers are ball park and i dont think they have to be TOO exact or so im hoping. MY BAD ON THE CHOICE OF GREEN FROM THE TOP 1 3/8" , 2 3/4" , 1"

-Clutch/Brake pedals 84-94 [according to AW-AX PDF on NAXJA]

-NSS trick and working reverse lights ok so i have found a solution to bypassing/faking the NSS, its a matter of following wires from the NSS up to the connector and find terminal B+C and connect em, as for the reverse lights there is supposed to be a switch on the passenger side on the AX15 that will be 2 wires and you remove a chunk of that harness from the donor and now return to you NSS connection and connect to wires A+E and that is supposed to solve the reverse light issue

-Crank Position sensor from an AX15

-NP231 shift bezel and 5spd shift boot

Crossmember - use the original that came with my AW4 all i needed was the bracket that puts the mount towards the front for the ax15

Now onto the unsure bits that will be trial and error

Computer
- From what ive read computer will not be an issue as my jeep is a RENIX era and there isnt much in the way of computer control.

Tcase shift linkage - i will be trying a custom setup as i hate that overly complicated setup that comes stock and well the Novak setup is too much money for what it is,and cant remember the brand of the other aftermarket setup but IIRC it wasnt all that great for what it cost, so i will be trying this guys setup http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

4WD lights
- ok so with the NP242 the sender is just 2 prong/wire setup in the tail end of the tcase[correct me if im wrong], the NP231 is a vacuum sender that i cant find much info on, its not an overly worrisome issue as i dont care too much bout the lights but it would be nice to get em working EDIT-well just got back from the wrecker and while i was there i looked at a few XJ NP231 tcases and noticed that the sender for the 4wd light on the XJ units is a plug same as the 242s so i grab one and will see if i can put it into my YJ 231 so we will see if that works

-TPS sensor from a manual setup im not finding much on this but i have read that it may cause idling issues if i continue to run a TPS from an auto

ok well its been a long day and that seemed like it took hours to type so i probly missed some stuff but please add whatever insight you may have as it would be much appreciated

thanks

Last edited by mud-dog27; 04-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

ahem...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...thread-258497/
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM

well damn theres some reading thanks, guess i should broaden my search phrases more, instead of aw4-ax15
Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 PM

nvm saw that one under a different name on another forum.....pretty good, some questionable points and rather ghetto fabbed work but still some good information....i knew i had read how to fake the NSS somewhere just couldnt remember where, thanks

Last edited by mud-dog27; 12-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I modified the aw4 tcase linkage to work with the ax15. I simple cut up the bracket that bolted to the trans, figured out where it should line up with the body mount and drilled two holes. Then used washers and bolted it to the ax15. Then simply shorten and rewelded the link coming from the tcase. Took 20 mins and only costed a box of washers and 2 bolts.

I have seen people use aw4 crossmembers for ax15 with an adapter plate but i raises the trans up.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 PM

yea i think i saw a pic somewhere that showed the plate that sticks out the front of the crossmember and bolts to the trans but for the life of me cant find it, only think i havent figured out is how to get the 4wd lights workings seeing as im going from electric switch[242] to vacuum switch[231] again not a big issue but would be nice to figure out
Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 PM

well i did my wrecker run and have most of my parts together

-Ax15 94+ $350
-Np231 $200
-----------------------------
-Clucth master/lines
-Brake/Clutch pedals
-NP231 shifter/bezel
-AX15 shifter/boot
-4WD sensor [XJ] $120
-----------------------------
Total after taxes $770

parts i still need to collect
-Clutch fork assembly
-Clutch kit
-Flywheel
-Drive shaft[had 1 at the JY but was distracted by a lifted XJ and forgot it]
-External slave cylinder
-Early 70s CJ5 304/T15 pilot bearing
-Lower shift boot

i was hoping to get it all together for around the $1500CDN which at the moment is looking doable.

and a side project that ive wanted to do for a long time [7yrs] since ive owned the thing was remove the cruise control as it never seemed to work when i tried it and i never had any desire to use it and i figure its just wasted space so while i was in the doig the pedal swap today i followed thise guys write up http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/tech/read/15 and pulled the complete system which seemed to clear up a noticeable bundle of wire in that rats nest under the dash and got rid of the servo on the fire wall so something more useful can be put there......maybe a relay box, but thats for another time
Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 PM

ok well im no longer able to edit the original post [?] so ill post em here

these are the 2 4WD light sending units used in the NP231
the 4port[only 3used] is from 231s used with the vacuum actuated D30s, late 80s-eraly 90s.

the 2 wire plug is one that i grabbed from my parts donor ['94 XJ] which is still out of a 231 but the vacuum axle is long extinct by '94 and lucky me its the same plug as my NP242 that i pulled so im crossing my fingers that it will work and allow my 4wd lights to function as it does thread into the hole just fine.

Name:  senders.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  DSCN2715Medium.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  52.0 KB
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

I have one question: Where does the wires for the 4x4 sensor go to? I converted a 2wd to 4x4 and I couldnt find a plug for the 4x4 lights.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
I have one question: Where does the wires for the 4x4 sensor go to? I converted a 2wd to 4x4 and I couldnt find a plug for the 4x4 lights.
to the left of the gauge cluster, where all the warning lights are, you may have to get a unit from a 4x4......how the wires get there is beyond me

Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

I have the things in the dash (minus the light bulbs) but I was just wonder if you noticed where it plugs into the harness while you had it apart. Not a big deal, been without those lights for a few years now.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM

the plug was already plugged into my 242 so it was part of the harness, where it goes between there and the dash is beyond me but ill take a look in a day or so
Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Ok small update, have majority of my parts just a few bits holding me up

-Clutch throwout fork spring retainer, didnt get one with my wrecker parts but online its a $1.99 so just gotta wait till im past christmas here till stores are able to get the part.

-Clutch line, gunna have to go custom cause i have an 89 Clutch Master going to a 94+ External slave, problem is up till 91 jeeps had typical threaded fittings, in 92 they moved to a push in o-ring fitting so i have to get an adapter fitting hopefully local and cheap other wise its $15 from advanced adapters

-TPS for a manual, just about **** a brick when the parts guy told me $290 so either find one used or makin a parts run state side cause O'riellys site says $120 which is a bit more affordable

i havent done a complete tally but i think im sitting round $1200CDN at the moment which is fine cause i had planned for bout $1500
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about this swap myself. I can buy a complete 1990 with the 4.0 and ax 15 for 300.00, looks like buying the whole donor and taking my parts off then selling back to the scrapyard would be very cheap way to go. Keep us posted on your swap.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM

yea i would have liked to pick up a full donor and do that but i was looking for a 94+ trans and couldnt find any that were cheap enough.

as of right now the whole project is on hold because of a few little parts...literally.

-clutch throwout fork spring< $1 online vs $8 at the dealer and they already raped me on flywheel and pressure plate bolts so i said **** it, i needed to order these other parts online anyway.
-AA adapter for the slave
-Manual TPS< $89 online......$290 at the local part counter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AW4 > AX15 swap