Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running a BDS8.5" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default anyone running a BDS8.5" lift?

like the title states im looking for anyone who has this kit. I would like the opinion of somebody who actually has the kit(or knows somebody who does) if they like it ..hate it ect. My friend owns a 4X4 shop and i can get a killer deal on one he got for his xj. He sold it before he installed it . so just seeing what people think before i pull the trigger..

Last edited by ttamn92; 05-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM

nobody???
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I don't have a 8.5" but I do have their 4.5" and love it. It is a great kit, but the biggest thing for me was the lifetime warranty on everything but shocks and bushings. Also the customer service is great. I would jump all over it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i dont run one the kit looks very complete
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

I don't have it either but BDS is top-of-the-line ****.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM

BDS is similar to Rough Country. It's far from top-of-the-line, but it's decent enough for street and occasional wheeling. If you want the best and some thing that will last more than a few years (in no particular order): TNT Customs, Claytons, Full Traction, and Rock Krawler. Basically any one else is junk unless you build it yourself or have someone like Currie or Poly Performance build one for you.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
BDS is similar to Rough Country. It's far from top-of-the-line, but it's decent enough for street and occasional wheeling. If you want the best and some thing that will last more than a few years (in no particular order): TNT Customs, Claytons, Full Traction, and Rock Krawler. Basically any one else is junk unless you build it yourself or have someone like Currie or Poly Performance build one for you.

Can you prove this? Because everything I've seen of their's is built much beefier than RC.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

I actually really laughed at this. I have their 6.5 and not only wheel it monthly at Rausch, we go to Moab Excursion and make trips up to Montana each winter.

Vote this guy in for most ignorant/misinformed post?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

hahaha THAT right thurr is funny...i dont care who you are.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

BDS is similar to Rough Country. It's far from top-of-the-line, but it's decent enough for street and occasional wheeling. .
Haha wow. BDS is crap? where the hell did you come from?

Anyways OP, BDS makes awesome kits if you can afford them. You may want to rethink that size lift though...I think you will find 8.5" is WAAAY too tall for a cherokee. Your center of gravity will be way too high and will limit you in what you will be able to attempt off road. I'd stick with the 4.5" lift you have now, and maybe bump it up an inch if it's not tall enough for you.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel
I actually really laughed at this. I have their 6.5 and not only wheel it monthly at Rausch, we go to Moab Excursion and make trips up to Montana each winter.

Vote this guy in for most ignorant/misinformed post?

He's got my vote...
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM

I worked for an authorized BDS reseller and installed all of their kits. Some of their stuff is good, some is junk. I had their 6.5" kit and managed to break bolts about every other trip out. I even bent their track bar. Went through bushing about every 3 months. Of course this hit a nerve with the fan boys. But this was my experience and I shared my opinion. I've run Claytons, BDS, RC, Skyjacker, RK, and now TNT Customs. Never had a problem with Claytons, RK, or TNT. Some of us just wheel harder than others.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dukie564
Haha wow. BDS is crap? where the hell did you come from?

Anyways OP, BDS makes awesome kits if you can afford them. You may want to rethink that size lift though...I think you will find 8.5" is WAAAY too tall for a cherokee. Your center of gravity will be way too high and will limit you in what you will be able to attempt off road. I'd stick with the 4.5" lift you have now, and maybe bump it up an inch if it's not tall enough for you.
Where did I say it was crap? I said it's decent. Some of their stuff is good and some isn't. I like BDS's customer service. But they are not "top-of-the-line." They do have a complete kit for a reasonable price though. I agree, 8.5" is ridiculous unless he is running full widths and 37+ wheels.

Also how am I misinformed? Just because someone wheels monthly and drives to Montana doesn't mean this kit is up to par for hardcore use.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Year: 1989

I will hop in on this too. Anyone who says BDS lifts for Cherokee's are junk probably tries to bite their ears and drools on them selves. I don't think it is the best engineered lift out there but I would be really surprised to see a picture of anything that was broke on one of their kits.

When I say best engineered lift that's because it is pretty hard to sell a true 4-link long-arm lift kit that has ideal geometry. There just isn't enough room under an XJ for proper link separation at the frame side.

As far as quality, fit and finish is concerned. I think you would be hard pressed to find a company that makes a better product. Hell they even warranty their shocks for life!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Interesting thread AND point(s) of view..

Quick Reply: anyone running a BDS8.5" lift?