Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Strange Noises" Diagnoses Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another "Strange Noises" Diagnoses Needed

Hi folks, name here is JD... I have a 1992 Laredo with close to 300,000 miles. Compression is great, Command track still works well, and the 8.25 Chrysler rear end is still holding up... at least i think it is.
The Problem:
I'm starting to hear a clacking noise coming from either the transfer case or the the rear axle. It only occurs when I'm breaking. The sound can become louder if i break harder. I did check my brakes and they seem to be ok. Nothing appears to be loose or sloppy. I seem to have plenty of power at take off and the clacking doesn't occur at take off. (only when braking)

Here are some of the best speculations I've heard so far;
1) Transfer case chain is stretched.. (Will Check)
2) CV Joints are going out.... Mention checking the one on the drive line
(I didn't know jeeps had one there)
3) Universal Joints are bad... (I argued this one because I think it would be more consistent in take off as well as stopping)
4) Ring and Pinion gear need to be replaced... (Ouch)
5) Transmission is going out... (AAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH)

Since all of these opinions came from 4X4 owners, none of them have ever owned a jeep. That's why I'm here asking you guys for your help. Have any of you guys experienced a similar problem. If so what was it? Any help will be appreciated. After doing a search on similar discussions I felt I needed to bring this up. This seems to be a unique situation and I just haven't seen any post like my situation.

Thanks for taking a look.
JD
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM

(only when braking)

98.6% chance it's something in the brakes. Sounds like a rear drum or rotor has eaten through. I'd check all your brakes first...
Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanks... I checked them over the weekend and the brakes are good. Bearings on the other hand are gonna have to be replaced. Let ya know how it works out.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Conclusion to the "Strange Noises" post. After a while I decided to bite the bullet and take it in to the local shop and ask them to take a look at what was going on. I told them what I had checked and what I had all ready worked on, such as the wheel bearings and brakes, the mechanic agreed to take a ride with me in the truck. After a loop around the block and look through the undercarriage he asked when the last time I changed the universal joints. I didn't replace them but they looked OK when I checked and they didn't show any ware or act sloppy. Plus - most UV joints noises happen when in motion, not just when the brakes are applied.
Since I didn't feel like rolling around on a cold cement slab this weekend I told him to go ahead and replace the front and back UV joints. He replaced all the joints with Precision Greaseable Super Strength Universal Joints. He did it all for just under 200 bucks and it took about 2 hours.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM

I'm guessing that fixed the problem then?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by flyingstick
I'm guessing that fixed the problem then?
yup... It certainly did.