Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Steering upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L straight 6
Default Another Steering upgrade question

Hi folks. . .My steering is done.

I put a lift on my 00 sport this last spring. Replaced a tie rod end and now the other one is bad. I feel like as soon as I replace something, another issue makes itself known.. . .very quick.

Im done with doing little fixes here and there and want to do a whole new steering system to replace everything up to speed.

Heres the skinny
4'' RE superflex.
jk discos (not sure if this matters)
31's
I have a skid plate on the front, but if I cant get it on there with some HD steering thats fine. . .

I live in the rockies and lets just say my 4'' lift has suprised me many times. . .lots of rugged trails with big rock climbs, little river driving and lots of snow in the winter. I may be going to 33s at the start of next spring and may go up an inch or two( nothin is set in stone)

What do you guys see as a good fit? Money is not as much as an issue as quality. Vendors? Vetrans? Memebers?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by xj00
Hi folks. . .My steering is done.

I put a lift on my 00 sport this last spring. Replaced a tie rod end and now the other one is bad. I feel like as soon as I replace something, another issue makes itself known.. . .very quick.

Im done with doing little fixes here and there and want to do a whole new steering system to replace everything up to speed.

Heres the skinny
4'' RE superflex.
jk discos (not sure if this matters)
31's
I have a skid plate on the front, but if I cant get it on there with some HD steering thats fine. . .

I live in the rockies and lets just say my 4'' lift has suprised me many times. . .lots of rugged trails with big rock climbs, little river driving and lots of snow in the winter. I may be going to 33s at the start of next spring and may go up an inch or two( nothin is set in stone)

What do you guys see as a good fit? Money is not as much as an issue as quality. Vendors? Vetrans? Memebers?
Also looking for some LCAs
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-Steering-Kits

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...s/Control-Arms
Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Upgrade to a one ton steering set-up. /\ /\ /\ Looks like your neighbor /\ /\ /\
@ Serious Offroad has some nice stuff.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Year: 1999

If money is no issue I say wj swap. Will be doing it myself someday soon. Everything I've read about it seems to just be above and beyond anything else. Plus you get better brakes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

WJ swap. End thread
Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

End Thread?

Only if the OP says he's willing to shell out $700-800 for steering and brakes.

Until then....no end in sight.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Another vote for wj upgrade.
Brakes and hi steer upgrade.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
End Thread?

Only if the OP says he's willing to shell out $700-800 for steering and brakes.

Until then....no end in sight.
What are you smoking? Or are you just trying to make a sale? Which i dont blame you. Buy wj is the best direction to go over anyones high steer for stock xj knuckles. 85% of the swap is from a local pick and pull. The yards are loaded with wjs. The rest is sourced from jks and rockauto. Can be done under $300 easily. When i got my used akabono wj parts it hit me for $60.

Last edited by Boost Happy; 10-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Boost Happy
What are you smoking? Or are you just trying to make a sale? Which i dont blame you. Buy wj is the best direction to go over anyones high steer for stock xj knuckles. 85% of the swap is from a local pick and pull. The yards are loaded with wjs. The rest is sourced from jks and rockauto. Can be done under $300 easily. When i got my used akabono wj parts it hit me for $60.
Marlboros, but that's besides the point.

I did the whole WJ Knuckle swap and after replacing the JY calipers with new calipers, buying the correct rotors, modifying the unit bearing hubs....and building multiple steering link configurations.......I've been there and done that. I stand behind my price point. $600-800 to do it right.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Marlboros, but that's besides the point.

I did the whole WJ Knuckle swap and after replacing the JY calipers with new calipers, buying the correct rotors, modifying the unit bearing hubs....and building multiple steering link configurations.......I've been there and done that. I stand behind my price point. $600-800 to do it right.
Man, you went about it on the high road. The jks flange($18) makes the xj wheel bearings exact fit when pair with 2002+ Explorer Sport Trac rotors($15 each). Steering can be done cheap with some dom, buy JKS also sells an extremely reasonably priced steering for the WJ conversion if one doesn't want to make their own.

If you could make to sell some nice steering links that's competitive with JKS, I'm pretty sure I'd buy. Look into it, you know it isn't hard
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Year: 1999

Am I the only one who see's this whenever I try to go to your site?

"You don't have permission to access /Steering/Serious-Steering-Kits on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Haha thanks. Didnt mean to start an argument. Il check out the wj conversion and check out what you guys have as well
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 6 Cyl

I am not a mechanic nor do I have mechanical skills to fabricate and put together a WJ steering as described. My preference is to purchase a kit, with a warranty, and install the kit. I believe the OP asked: "What do you guys see as a good fit? Money is not as much as an issue as quality. Vendors? Vetrans? Memebers" which Serious Offroad answered as a vendor on the site, which the OP asked for at the close of his question. From my perspective, Serious Offroad answered and then took the high road when attacked and after he was challenged a second time, he didn't fight back. Props to Serious, another reason I will purchase from you when I upgrade my steering.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by xj00
Haha thanks. Didnt mean to start an argument. Il check out the wj conversion and check out what you guys have as well
No, argument. Were merely discussing both of our personal experiences. What you decide to do based on our experience is up to you

Quick Reply: Another Steering upgrade question