Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another lift question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default another lift question

I have a 3" RC lift kit already installed. Here is the question , I want to go about 2" higher , I was looking at spacers for the front springs and new leaf packs in the rear(since I just got the add a leaf in there now) is it worth doing this ? what else will I need ? I know I will need to extend the brake lines but I am unsure of other things that I will have to do. I don't do much wheeling and the lift is mainly for looks if that helps any
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

New sway bars. And I'm your running a stock tracbar, I would suggest an adjustable one. Also if it's just for looks, maybe buy a 3" full leafs and put a 2" shackle on it. The closer to stock you are, the better it will handle on road.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
New sway bars. And I'm your running a stock tracbar, I would suggest an adjustable one. Also if it's just for looks, maybe buy a 3" full leafs and put a 2" shackle on it. The closer to stock you are, the better it will handle on road.
I thought about that too , 3" with 2" shackle. what about control arms etc? and yes it is the stock track bar
Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
what the heck are you talking about?

none of this is correct...

new swaybars? did you drink a little too much before you answered this question? I think you mean track bars... lay off the sauce hoss

and as for shackles being just for looks? that is just plain ignorant...

I would rather have a 4.5" lift with 3" leafs and 1.5" shackles (with relocation brackets) than a straight 4.5" leaf pack ANY day of the week it's all about flex my friend and let me tell you... a leaf spring with a BIG arch does not ride or flex well...

on to the OP's post...

you will need

-track bar (or a relocation bracket/redrilling)
-shacks
-brake lines (above 3-3.5" you can not just relocate)
-new lower control arms (a set of uppers would be nice as well, a JK control arm swap of ANY longer arm setup is recommended
-rear drive line will need be addressed
-steering may or may not need to be addressed

in short... going above 3-3.5" is NO SMALL TASK... do it right, do it strong, but most importantly DO IT SAFE!

see you on the trail
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ericfx1984

new swaybars? did you drink a little too much before you answered this question? I think you mean track bars... lay off the sauce hoss

I would rather have a 4.5" lift with 3" leafs and 1.5" shackles (with relocation brackets) than a straight 4.5" leaf pack ANY day of the week it's all about flex my friend and let me tell you... a leaf spring with a BIG arch does not ride or flex well...

on to the OP's post...

you will need

-shacks
-new lower control arms (a set of uppers would be nice as well, a JK control arm swap of ANY longer arm setup is recommended

in short... going above 3-3.5" is NO SMALL TASK... do it right, do it strong, but most importantly DO IT SAFE!

see you on the trail
thank you , basically I am very new to the Jeep thing. everything I have done has been a project for me and my now 10 year old son to do. I love spending the time with him and he loves the "monster "truck look.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by ericfx1984

on to the OP's post...

you will need

-shacks

see you on the trail
I have to disagree i just went up to 4.5 from a 3 and all i did was a double sheer track bar because the first time i drove with 4.5 with stock track bar instant death wobble i still have stock brake lines i just bent them to a straight line and flexed it last night and still had play i them shocks you may need depending on which ones you have mine were almost fully compressed at 3 inches and possibly a SYE and i still have stock control arms lower and upper
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
I have to disagree i just went up to 4.5 from a 3 and all i did was a double sheer track bar because the first time i drove with 4.5 with stock track bar instant death wobble i still have stock brake lines i just bent them to a straight line and flexed it last night and still had play i them shocks you may need depending on which ones you have mine were almost fully compressed at 3 inches and possibly a SYE and i still have stock control arms lower and upper
you are welcome to do as you like... but I can tell you this... get a set of swaybar disconnects... also setup proper bump stops... and get shocks that will not hinder your flex... THEN try to flex that thing out... cause I can tell you this... you can and WILL max out stock RELOCATED brake lines... also try turning your steering lock to lock while flexing... NO amount of relocating brake lines is going to make it possible

I nearly ripped mine off in my freaking driveway just flexing it with a jack at 3" of lift...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM

brake lines are easy enough. as is the track bar(just gonna get an adjustable one) what about control arms? wouls I be ok with just a TC drop kit ?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYDONE
brake lines are easy enough. as is the track bar(just gonna get an adjustable one) what about control arms? wouls I be ok with just a TC drop kit ?
See you decided to go more than 4". You may need to shim the rear axle as well with a tc drop. Personally, i'd go for IRO's hack-n-tap SYE if you're going past 4" of lift. No tc drop, no shims, and most impotantly, no vibes.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 PM

no , i just want to do another inch but I dont want to have any problems with it.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Def get longer brake lines will be worth it in the in. Also get atleast adjustable lca adj track bar too. Also agree on shackle instead of full packs since flex better.