Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Cool Amp Install

I tried searching and didn't find anything along the lines of this topic, so...here we are.

I'm looking for some suggestions on where to run the wiring for an amplifier and where to put it. Do I need to drill a hole in my firewall or is there an existing one I can sneak the wire through? Where is a good place to mount the amp? I was thinking under the passenger seat to keep it out of the way but I'm open to any suggestions. Any tips or pics would be a great help.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Engine: 4.0l

To run the power wire look under the drivers side footwell, get underneath the steering wheel because it is a good ways up on the firewall. There might be a rubber grommet that needs to be pushed out. This hole will be plenty big to get your wires through.
For the amp mount. I would mount it underneath the rear seat.
In my 98 limited the factory infinity amp is actually mounted there and fits perfectly.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0 L

I ran mine through a hole on the passenger side and along the trim on the pass. floorboard
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I poked a hole in the passenger's side firewall grommet. Run your wire through it from the engine side. WD-40 or liquid soap helps a lot to easily feed it through the grommet. To make it easier to find the wire in the interior, remove the glove box. It is only held in with three screws along the bottom.

Once you get the wire inside, hide it under the door sill trim. You can install an amp easily under the passenger's seat or the back seat where the factory jack is mounted. I have amps in both spots and no wires are visible.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

[B]BE CAUTIOUS WHEN RUNNING WIRES (POWER FEED, REMOTE WIRE, RCA'S, ETC.) ALONG THE INSIDE OF THE LOWER DOOR TRIM!!

i've inadvertently nicked remote & rca wires w/the trim mounting screws....even being aware of this, there's limited room to run wiring & when u do fit it, u still have to be careful replacing the screws

in my 98, my 4 AWG amp used to run thru the center console, as it was next to impossible under the doors....around the shifters & e-brake, then under the carpet to under the back seats

never had any issues w/that, but i recently re-thought it (maybe over thinking) & didnt like that so much....so i then ran it & remote wire up the A-pillar, drilled a hole in the upper corner to access an open cavity that runs the length of the jeep above the drivers side front & rear doors, from there i easily pulled it to between the rear door & cargo side window, snaked down, hole drilled, & pulled out next to where the fold down back-rest jam is, then into a splitter for the day i do >1 amp.....a little more involved, but i feel more assured i wont nick with screws or get in the way of any future wiring/piping

BTW, im an electrician, so running wires in awkward tight places is basically my specialty.....a wire snake, wire hook/clothes hanger hook, & PLENTY of electrical tape should be ur best friends
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: yes

I have the factory amp, it's under the backseat-drivers side-
Attached Thumbnails Amp Install-img_0350.jpg