Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altering the fixed glass on doors???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Altering the fixed glass on doors???

I was curious if anyone knows of a way to make the fixed triangular glass on doors to operate like the old-school vent windows?? 96 sport 4dr. I asked a body shop owner, he thought I was nuts and said not possible.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Year: 2000

The window would need it's own frame.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Year: 1988

Find doors with the vent windows in them
Attached Thumbnails Altering the fixed glass on doors???-image-1539775409.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

everything is possible man, just time and money is involved. but for those of us who aren't long for this world maybe just a new set of doors with the wing windows already in them, might be more convenient.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM

I'll check into the new door thing!!! Were the tilt windows an option/trim level thing?? And thru what year? Thanks for info!!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM

I think 84-92. I have an 88 and my buddy has a 92 two door with them
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

My '92 didn't have them but my '91 does.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Paintdrumlove
I was curious if anyone knows of a way to make the fixed triangular glass on doors to operate like the old-school vent windows?? 96 sport 4dr. I asked a body shop owner, he thought I was nuts and said not possible.
Find a pair of operating smoker windows, swap 'em in for the fixed glass! Take you about an hour and a half, you've got to drill out rivets in the door panel.

You've got a 1996, so you have the last year of the old body style, and that is therefore not a problem. 1984-1996 smoker windows will work, 2d/4d doesn't matter.

I've swapped out at least three pairs of these, it's easy.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM

I knew I couldn't be the only one that wanted those windows to open!! Thanks for info, I really appreciate it. Only a couple months into my first Cherokee and damn that bugged me!!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

I knew I couldn't be the only one that wanted those windows to open!! Thanks for info, I really appreciate it. Only a couple months into my first Cherokee and damn that bugged me!!
It's an easy job - you'll need a drill motor with a GOOD 1/4" bit (the rivets are CRES, not aluminum...) replacement hardware (I used 1/4"-20x3/4" hex hed capscrews, 1/4" flat washers, and 1/4"-20 nylon collar hex locknuts - all CRES) and a #2 Philips screwdriver (to remove the screws into the window frame on the front door rail.)

And a trim panel remover tool - which should cost less than $10 at the local. Pay attention - you should be able to remove the door liner without wrecking the Christmas tree fasteners.)

- Roll down the main window at least 2/3-way.
- Unscrew the Philips-head screws in the door controls and the armrest.
- Remove the window crank handle, if present. Else, unplug the power accessory switches.
- Using your trim panel remover, feel around under the edge for the Christmas Trees. You'll have to find the first one - it's easiest to do at the lower rear corner. Be careful! From time to time, I've tried to pull off the door liner, only to find a screw through the trim panel inside the carpet, so you can't see the head!
- Once you have the door liner loose, lift & wiggle it to remove it from the door.
- Follow the vertical pillar down from the rear end of the vent window - you should see it continue into the door (it doubles as the front channel for the main glass) and will (usually) be rivetted at two points in the door. If not, it's probably been swapped before. Drill out these rivets with your 1/4" drill.
- Hold the window with one hand, remove two forward screws with the other.
- Tip the top of the window toward the rear to disengage it from the front of the door and the front edge of the main window. You should then be able to tip it outwards and lift it straight up to remove it from the door.

- Installation of the replacement window is the reverse of removal. You will be using the machine screws to replace the rivets you drilled out - everything else may be reused. Make sure the main window gets settled into the channel. Make sure the main window operates freely, and that all sealing boots are located as they were before.

Have a sammich and a cuppa, and do the other side.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I'll check into the new door thing!!! Were the tilt windows an option/trim level thing?? And thru what year? Thanks for info!!
Like said before 84-96 old body style will work. Just so you know, depending on location and condition, these vent windows leak over time. Mine are 22 years old and still don't leak. The reason you don't have vents is someone in the history of the vehicle had the dealer replace them to what you have now. If you look in the TSB section of this site, you'll find what I'm talking about. Hopefully you won't have a leak but remember you are looking for a 16-30 year old part.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Checking in with a friend that crushes cars at the local junkyard later today, hopefully find two decent looking ones. The interior of my sport is almost like new, only 48k on it, and I had no probs popping the door panels to upgrade the speakers. Hopefully all goes well and keep the leaks to a minimum!! Ha when I was told no way by the body shop, it only made me wanna do it more. Again thanks for all input!!