Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost made my lift decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default almost made my lift decision

Well it looks like I may go with the RE 3.5 superflex kit... i like that it comes with discos and longer rear brake line...
i think that i will still need:
longer front brake lines
adjustable trackbar
4 degree rear shim
probably more bumpstop since i will be getting 33's...
adding shocks is a cheap upgrade, so i may go with the cheap ones for now till im ready for better... thoughts?? suggestions??
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lukc22
Well it looks like I may go with the RE 3.5 superflex kit... i like that it comes with discos and longer rear brake line...
i think that i will still need:
longer front brake lines
adjustable trackbar
4 degree rear shim
probably more bumpstop since i will be getting 33's...
adding shocks is a cheap upgrade, so i may go with the cheap ones for now till im ready for better... thoughts?? suggestions??
You can get away with relocating the hard line that is mounted to the body for added front brake line length.

For sure go with an adjustable track bar.

I ran mine with no shim in the rear very minimal vibes, but every Jeep is different. If yours is a late model, you may even need a SYE and CV drive shaft.

The kit includes a front extended bump stop, the rear you can buy an extended one, and while your at it remove the rear sway bar.

Shocks are shocks they all work, just depends on what ride quality you are trying to obtain. Just make sure they are the right length also.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Would a drop pitman arm be a good idea??
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Would a drop pitman arm be a good idea??
Id say its not needed at that height, from my readings Ive heard you might start needing one at 6+ inches. I dont use one with 4.5" lift.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I STRONGLY advise getting an SYE.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
I STRONGLY advise getting an SYE.
I am certainly open to suggestions... What advantages does an SYE give at 3 inches vs. A tcase drop and shims??

Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJmember
Id say its not needed at that height, from my readings Ive heard you might start needing one at 6+ inches. I dont use one with 4.5" lift.
Ok cool... i am trying to figure out if i should order 4.5 inch lift shocks to have enough travel so they arent the limiting factor...
Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Good question.
Look at it this way, you're going to make a large investment in a LIFT kit....and then you're going to lower the tcase. Kind eliminates some of the benefits of lifting your rig.

Lowering the tcase also twists the motor mounts, shortens the life of the mount.

Do it once, do it right....SYE.

Even if you have to save up a little longer, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Good question.
Look at it this way, you're going to make a large investment in a LIFT kit....and then you're going to lower the tcase. Kind eliminates some of the benefits of lifting your rig.

Lowering the tcase also twists the motor mounts, shortens the life of the mount.

Thank You! I will do more reading on here and give that serious consideration... If im going to do an SYE, then I might as well go 4.5 inches... Less trimming, and helps when I eventually want to go with 35's... man this never ends...
Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Just Enjoy Every Purchase!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Thank You! I will do more reading on here and give that serious consideration... If im going to do an SYE, then I might as well go 4.5 inches... Less trimming, and helps when I eventually want to go with 35's... man this never ends...
Haha, you'll be upgrading even more than what you are now just to run 35's properly lol . For sure look into the SYE, its worth it in the long run.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

Good question.

^ this!!! I put a t case drop in my already 3" lift Cherocar I bought and ended up doing an SYE less than 6 months later and then a full round of engine and trans mounts cause they where angry and it messed up my exhaust and t case shifting was screwy. Do the SYE save your self some headaches
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

give that serious consideration....
Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No need for sye. I have 4.5 inches of lift and no sye. I do have degree shims but I have no vibrations or anything. And you don't need a pitman arm drop. I say spend the money and buy an entire kit that includes track bar and everything. I found sometimes you can do it cheaper if you do everything piece by piece but I would just buy everything together.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I agree with Frank- Go with the full SYE. For one, you will definitely not have any problems and it is not that expensive.... For two, your drive shaft can do alot of damage before you slow down if it does slip out.

I recommend Advanced Adapters. I had a nasty mishap the one time I let someone borrow my Jeep. Long story short, they destroyed the yoke on the SYE and my TomWoods driveshaft. (Something I have never even come close to being able to do) Due to the excellent warranty/customer service of the aforementioned companies, both were fixed for free.

Quick Reply: almost made my lift decision