Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy HD or Dana spicer ball joints.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0
Default Alloy HD or Dana spicer ball joints.

Need some ball joint advice. I'm rebuilding another d30 for my gfs jeep. I previously used the Spicer ball joints on her axle now but is bent now. I was planning on using the less then 6 month old ball joint as they are still somewhat newish.
I pick up another set of Spicers just in case, well I was looking around now I noticed alloy USA has the HD ball joints, they are about the same price but are similar to the synergy ball joints for half the cost for one side. Reading the reviews about the alloys saying, that they are extremely tight and can cause some interesting handling problems for up to 400 miles and couple or weeks till they loosen up then are great. As compared to the Spicers it's not a problem.
As this being the gf jeep and she's on the freeway to and from work, last thing I need is a problem with her jeep trying to kill her.
Question is should I just stick with the factory Spicer ones on the jeep now or the new ones? Or should I get the alloy ones as they have a three year warranty also. Warranty I like but safety is more important to me especially for her.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by hbracing13
Need some ball joint advice. I'm rebuilding another d30 for my gfs jeep. I previously used the Spicer ball joints on her axle now but is bent now. I was planning on using the less then 6 month old ball joint as they are still somewhat newish.
I pick up another set of Spicers just in case, well I was looking around now I noticed alloy USA has the HD ball joints, they are about the same price but are similar to the synergy ball joints for half the cost for one side. Reading the reviews about the alloys saying, that they are extremely tight and can cause some interesting handling problems for up to 400 miles and couple or weeks till they loosen up then are great. As compared to the Spicers it's not a problem.
As this being the gf jeep and she's on the freeway to and from work, last thing I need is a problem with her jeep trying to kill her.
Question is should I just stick with the factory Spicer ones on the jeep now or the new ones? Or should I get the alloy ones as they have a three year warranty also. Warranty I like but safety is more important to me especially for her.
I like the Alloy USA kit I bought more than any others I have ran (Spicer included) The lowers are greasable, they have held up great and I have no issues at all with them. They did have a break in period ( not sure about 400 miles) but are great now.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Ran the Alloys in my YJ and XJ. Buddy has them in his JK and my Dad has them in his TJ. No issues at all so far. Seem to be built well and installed without any problems.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I like the Alloy USA kit I bought more than any others I have ran (Spicer included) The lowers are greasable, they have held up great and I have no issues at all with them. They did have a break in period ( not sure about 400 miles) but are great now.
Any issues with greasing the bottoms? I installed them a couple months ago. Greased them as far as i could tel but it seems like the grease never really entered the joint. The Needle attachment for the grease gun is kind of a pain to use.

Any Tips?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Year: 1997

I've had decent luck with the needle attachment on the lowers but I just screw in a standard fitting and grease them really good whenever I have my shafts pulled.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by bjmcconk

Any issues with greasing the bottoms? I installed them a couple months ago. Greased them as far as i could tel but it seems like the grease never really entered the joint. The Needle attachment for the grease gun is kind of a pain to use.

Any Tips?

They are kind of a PITA lol. Its hard to hold the needle and pump. I use a long flexible needle end I got from Orileys and one of the tiny 3oz grease guns from Amsoil. Makes it much easier when you can hold the gun/pump with one hand.

As for joints themselves, I just made sure they were pointed the best possible way for me to get at em. Turn the tires a bit. Hardest part is keeping them clean so they dont clog/lock up. I spray them/other needle zerks with some PB blaster, grease the rest of my zerks, come back to them, clean them the best I can and squirt a few pumps of grease into them. I have a harder time with the double cardian joints on my dshafts- easy if you pull them otherwise its a pita.

For any greasing, I highly recommend one of the small guns.... way easier to fit into the tight spots and easier to pump/hold. They are 3oz and the grease is readily available at most part stores.

Last edited by Ianf406; 01-03-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I'm running the HD Alloy USA Uppers and Lowers, been happy with them so far. Bought 2 different needle sizes for my grease gun with not much luck on the lowers. I might try the small grease gun.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used my tried and true brand "Spicer". I looked at the Alloy but the needle grease point was a no go here for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 high output

I had the Alloy and they didn't last a month.. went on a run and both upper and lower went out.. I put the Dana Spicer in and have no issues.. cant go wrong with Dana Spicer