Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all about some axles! (cheap tricks please)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all about some axles! (cheap tricks please)

Hey i've been doing alot of work on my jeep and I know dana axles are strong but I have dana 35 in rear and dana 30 in front I think, everything when I bought the zj was stock so I assumed the axles were also and when I put my 36" on my zj I of course got DEATH WOBBLE, I was gonna just replace all my bushing and replace my hubs but since I hear that my stock axles won't hold up to the 36" tires. Just looking to hear what people say about weather I should replace bushings and hubs or a hole new axle but since I don't have 4 grand to just drop some

all about some axles! (cheap tricks please)-forumrunner_20120923_143803.jpg

cheap alternatives to replacing my axles would be nice and also since i'm not 100% sure I have dana 35 & 30 how do you check that. Please and thank you for all the advise. And i'm good at fabricating so even the craziest ideas if it's cheap I can make it work.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Your cheapest and quickest option is to search and decide what is best for you. If you searched and have further detailed questions, we can help answer them.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Your cheapest and quickest option is to search and decide what is best for you. If you searched and have further detailed questions, we can help answer them.
IM mainly just looking for the cheapest possible way to keep my 36 and keep my jeep running I have two kids so cheap is a must that's pretty much my main question and second is how do you tell what kind of axles you have because i'm not exactly sure what's under my jeep.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I dont think the Dana 35 is gunna like 36s very much
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

What year is your ZJ? Front is a low pinion D30 and depending on year and engine your rear is a D35 or D44a, neither of which will hold a 36" tire. The front axle open, with a very light foot and a street only vehicle might be OK, key word is might.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM

The cheapest way is going to be replace all the bushings. It's not the right way but without a large amount pf work it's the only way
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
What year is your ZJ? Front is a low pinion D30 and depending on year and engine your rear is a D35 or D44a, neither of which will hold a 36" tire. The front axle open, with a very light foot and a street only vehicle might be OK, key word is might.
It's a 1994 limited v8 5.2 (318) what kind of rear axles does it have? So pretty much i'm gonna need to get different axles i've been searching all day reading up on it and I hear that a ford 8.8 axle will do so,my best option is to hit the junk yards do yall know what would fit closest to my jeep like what vehicles should I look for I would like to keep my same lug pattern if possible 5x4.5 and another question why can't I just beef up my spline and gears shouldn't that work?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f30/fo...wap-info-3847/

start learning. the d35 and d44a are best suited to anchoring boats... dont waste your $ on that axle.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheapest advice is get some tires that wont kill those axles with one bad hop.

But if you are set on keeping them the rear axle has got to go in favor of say AT LEAST a real dana44 or 8.8. These axles will also have to be built quite a bit if you want it to be reliable.

As for the front axle, i wouldnt even think of anything less than a dana44, but some people can make a built dana 30 last if they know how to stay out of the skinny pedal. Chromoly shafts, full case locker, trussed housing, etc are pretty much required.

If you want a reliable setup with 36's, you have to drop some coin.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
Cheapest advice is get some tires that wont kill those axles with one bad hop.

But if you are set on keeping them the rear axle has got to go in favor of say AT LEAST a real dana44 or 8.8. These axles will also have to be built quite a bit if you want it to be reliable.

As for the front axle, i wouldnt even think of anything less than a dana44, but some people can make a built dana 30 last if they know how to stay out of the skinny pedal. Chromoly shafts, full case locker, trussed housing, etc are pretty much required.

If you want a reliable setup with 36's, you have to drop some coin.
Thanx I was dreading that answer i've fabricated on stuff ever since I was younger I was hopeing I could make it work but no luck thank yall I think i'm probably just gonna go to 33" be slot easier and cheaper thank yall again
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Even with 33s your rear axle won't be happy. 8.8 would work and is the same bolt pattern just a bit narrower. It would take a bit of fab to get one in there with the link setup you have.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM

Even with 33s your rear axle won't be happy. 8.8 would work and is the same bolt pattern just a bit narrower. It would take a bit of fab to get one in there with the link setup you have.
Wow I did know my axles were that wimpy and I bought 2 inch wheel spacers to fit my 36's already so I could just get the 8.8 and use the wheel spacers should be good and since I have abs would I have to get a 8.8 with abs and what vehicles would be best to get the 8.8 axle off of and how can you tell it's a 8.8 so I know what to look for when I hit the junk yard preferably a 8.8 with disk brakes instead of drum.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

You'll want the ones from a ford explorer and they can be had with disc. You won't find a bolt in axle that'll work with your ABS. If you plan on running the 2" spacer up front you'll need 3" in the rear to even it out with a 8.8.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM

You'll want the ones from a ford explorer and they can be had with disc. You won't find a bolt in axle that'll work with your ABS. If you plan on running the 2" spacer up front you'll need 3" in the rear to even it out with a 8.8.
So I would just need to replace the back and wow a ford explorer? I used to own a ford explorer sport but it was a 94 it was a piece of crap but would a 94 axle work? and if not what years would. Thank you giving me so much information I really like to know why and how i'm doing something to my jeep.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

or read the link i posted earlier...

Quick Reply: all about some axles! (cheap tricks please)