Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Truck Lite headlight harness makes under my steering wheel tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket Truck Lite headlight harness makes under my steering wheel tick

I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 214k, automatic. I just put in some LED headlights which had some flickering issues when the Jeep was on but the headlights weren't, they kinda looked like police lights. So I ordered a set of anti flickering harnesses from Truck Lite because I have heard they can fix the flickering. So today I plugged them in and put the headlights in just to notice that they are now flickering when the Jeep doesn't even have the key in it. And when I turn the key off, there is a 1 minute moment of silence followed by what sounds like a hum under the steering wheel where all the wires are. The hum then slows down after 20 seconds and then becomes a slower tick, the tick remains constant and I'm worried that it will just catch on fire or something. Anyone have any clue as to what is going on?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:05 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Before all this, headlights worked fine, correct?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by XJ-OldSmokey
I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 214k, automatic. I just put in some LED headlights which had some flickering issues when the Jeep was on but the headlights weren't, they kinda looked like police lights. So I ordered a set of anti flickering harnesses from Truck Lite because I have heard they can fix the flickering. So today I plugged them in and put the headlights in just to notice that they are now flickering when the Jeep doesn't even have the key in it. And when I turn the key off, there is a 1 minute moment of silence followed by what sounds like a hum under the steering wheel where all the wires are. The hum then slows down after 20 seconds and then becomes a slower tick, the tick remains constant and I'm worried that it will just catch on fire or something. Anyone have any clue as to what is going on?
try reverting back to a stock setup. See if the problem goes away.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Before all this, headlights worked fine, correct?
my stock headlights worked fine I just couldn't see crap. I know that the computer system with Jeeps send pulses to the headlights so that they do not use a lot of power making them last longer, and halogen headlights are not fast enough to show a flicker. LED headlights response time is instant so you can see the flicker when pulses are sent. But the stock ones worked properly. When I plugged in the LED ones to my stock connectors they would flicker when the Jeep was on but the headlights weren't. If I hadn't the headlights on they work perfectly fine with no flicker
Old 09-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Hmmm.. my 2000 don't send pulses to the headlights, its a nice steady flow of power. I Checked with volt meter with them on and off left them off for a while jeep running, smooth flow.. I did not see a pulsing power.
When I first did my Truck-L I had to clean all connections points at the plug until I saw clean shinny metal. Also the plug under the air box on the left of the Jeep needing cleaning.

pic of plug under air box. Pic provided by Cruiser54

What headlight are these?.. Ive seen those cheap LED headlights do that flicker thing.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Hmmm.. my 2000 don't send pulses to the headlights, its a nice steady flow of power. I Checked with volt meter with them on and off left them off for a while jeep running, smooth flow.. I did not see a pulsing power.
When I first did my Truck-L I had to clean all connections points at the plug until I saw clean shinny metal. Also the plug under the air box on the left of the Jeep needing cleaning.

pic of plug under air box. Pic provided by Cruiser54

What headlight are these?.. Ive seen those cheap LED headlights do that flicker thing.

they flicker but only when the Jeep is on and the running lights or headlights are off. If I turn them on they work perfectly with no flicker. I'd take a video of them but cameras can't capture how fast they flicker lol
Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

I know the flicker, Ive seen it on a few friends Jeep with cheap LED headlights.
They got a new wiring harness and it stopped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807
Old 09-30-2017, 06:15 PM

I know the flicker, Ive seen it on a few friends Jeep with cheap LED headlights.
They got a new wiring harness and it stopped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807
Yeah I got the anti flicker harness from Truck Lite and I'm pretty sure it made it flicker worse. I basically have to keep my headlights on all day so they don't flicker. People will think I'm a cop haha
Old 09-30-2017, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yeah I got the anti flicker harness from Truck Lite and I'm pretty sure it made it flicker worse. I basically have to keep my headlights on all day so they don't flicker. People will think I'm a cop haha
If I remember correctly, you used some cheaper led lights correct. I'm going to go ahead and say your lights are the issue. The quality headlights like he and trucklite don't have these issues from what I know of. But I've seen this on the eBay and Amazon headlights before.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

This is not a anti flicker harness.. Its a upgrade over the cheap stock wires on the Jeep..http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807

I bet its the cheap headlights causing issues .
Old 09-30-2017, 07:15 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Bingo.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 PM

This is not a anti flicker harness.. Its a upgrade over the cheap stock wires on the Jeep..http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807

they are cheap headlights, which makes sense. How do the replacement harnesses hook up? Just remove the old ones?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

they are cheap headlights, which makes sense. How do the replacement harnesses hook up? Just remove the old ones?
you just hook them up to the the old harness and to the lights....took me about 20 minutes to do.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

this vid will help you..

Old 09-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Awesome thanks guys I will give that a try! Any clue as to what the humming and click noise was under my steering wheel?