Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Aftermarket Stereo install questions

This is my first time posting... I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport. I received an aftermarket JVC head unit and I want to install in in my cherokee. I have installed a couple of units before in different cars and have never used an adapter. I did no research on the cherokee wiring before I started and have since cut the wires. I did not realize that the lighting was wired through the stereo. When the JVC stereo is connected it shows power and appears to be working but I am not getting any sound. The OEM stereo worked flawlessly before I attempted to install the aftermarket. I have all the speaker wires connected correctly but the wires I have left are:

From the Jeep: orange
black/ yellow

from the JVC wire connector: Blue/ white.

My question is if anyone has physically wired in a stereo without an adapter to point me in the right direction.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Usually the only thing that would prevent sound if the unit is on is if you have the Infinity 6 speaker system. There is a factory amp that needs to have 12 volts when the radio is on (that would be your blue/white on the JVC).

Neither of those wires you have left on the car side sound like the factory amp turn on wire. I think the wire is dark blue with a stripe. I have a PDF wiring diagram of the Jeep at work (I have a '98 and it is the same). Let us know if you have the 4 speaker standard system or the 6 speaker Infinity and if you have not solved it before tomorrow I will look up the wiring for you.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

I encountered a similar problem with the first deck I installed years ago, everything appeared to work perfectly with the exception being NO sound whatsoever, after double checking everything I took it to a stereo shop for some expert advise. I explained my situation and the Tech looked at it for about 2 second and tells me it's on MUTE. I felt like an ***, it had a MUTE button so you could receive phone calls and instantly kill the sound!

Don't know if this helps but sometimes it's the simple things
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM

I have the 4 speaker standard system. I found a wire diagram online and that helped me get the speaker wire correct but it doesnt match perfectly to my xj. What is confusing to me is now that I have cut the wires I have to manually connect the orange wire to the pink wire to get my dash lights and my running lights at night, and when my car is off I have to then disconnect them to get it to turn off. I have just never run into this in the other 3 stereos I have installed.

As for the mute, I thought that might have been the problem but unfortunately it wasn't. At this point I would rather the humiliation than not have any stereo haha.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM

If you are referring to orange and pink on the car side, that would make sense because pink is constant 12 volt (+) and orange is the dash lights, so you are basically just hotwiring the dash lights. If the lighting does not come on with the headlight switch you might want to check Fuse 6 (5A).

Here are the wires according to the factory service manual:

Black/yellow = illumination (12V with park lights on, does not dim)
Orange = illumination/dimmer (voltage varies with turning the headlight ****)
Pink = 12 volt constant power
Red/white = 12 volt power with key in ACC/RUN positions
Black = ground

dark green = LF+
brown/red = LF-
purple = RF+
dark blue/red = RF-
brown/yellow = LR+
brown/light blue = LR-
dark blue/white = RR+
dark blue/orange = RR-
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM

Okay, I found out that I was not getting sound because the right back speaker wire was grounded, so once I find where this is happening I will have sound.

My only problem now is the orange (illumination) wire, according to the stereo tech at best buy, the aftermarket stereo does not need the illumination wire because the display does not dim or brighten. but to get dash lights and running lights for my tail lights, I have to connect my orange (illumination) to my pink (constant) but then when the car is off the lights do not turn off. So can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do with the orange wire now.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 PM

You need to just cap off the orange wire so it cant short out. It does not get used.

If the only way to make the dash lights come on is by jumping power to the orange than you either have a blown fuse OR the dimmer in the headlight switch is damaged.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I capped off the orange one. It's flawless. I did blow a fuse in the power distribution center during install because I accidentally touched some two wires together during install