Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on this lift Kit package

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice on this lift Kit package

Was looking to get this package (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html) with the following configuration

I have a few questions for you guys:

1) Is this a good kit? (I mainly plan to go to the beach and do some light offroading upstate.)

2) Is this a good deal overall?

3) Would you change anything in the configuration or buy anything additional? (I read about also adding a transfer case drop kit)

4) Do I need/Should I get the Sway bar quick disconnect? (I don't even really know what a sway bar is, if I have one, or if i need to get one)

5) What should I expect this to cost for installation by a shop?
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

for an extra $200, I would get the metal cloak kit. Much more complete:

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Cheroke...ion-p/7180.htm

That kit from what I see is missing longer brake lines, bump stops, control arms, track bar, etc. You will get that kit installed and realize you are missing a ton of pieces and have to go out and buy them.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by aroundincircles

That kit from what I see is missing longer brake lines, bump stops, control arms, track bar, etc. You will get that kit installed and realize you are missing a ton of pieces and have to go out and buy them.
The kit I listed also comes with 31" Tires/Rims.
Wouldn't it be more cost effective for me to buy the missing parts from Rusty?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The other thing the Metalcloak kit does not come with is the shocks. You only get the shocks if you go with their ARB system.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

I've got a Rusty's lift on my XJ, and the quality of the springs and leafs are really nice. Made in the USA too. I've wheeled on it quite a bit so far, and it's held up real well. It also rides nice on the road, not harsh at all.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
I've got a Rusty's lift on my XJ, and the quality of the springs and leafs are really nice. Made in the USA too. I've wheeled on it quite a bit so far, and it's held up real well. It also rides nice on the road, not harsh at all.
Thanks! What other parts could I order from Rusty that I'm missing in the Kit?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock you have a front sway bar and the rear one is optional.On road the sway bar controls the sway aka body roll when you turn or corner.The reason for sway bar disconnects is off road the sway bar will limit the flex on the front suspension.With the sway bar disconnects they do just that they let you unhook the sway bar for off road and hook it back up when you need it for on road.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You don't really need sway bar disconnects, but they do make the ride on the trail a lot nicer because you have less head whip and a more compliant ride.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by aroundincircles

BS you get all you need with that kit all the hardware is included with it. As far as brake lines, LCA's they aren't needed with a 3" lift if you have the proper wheels to go with the tires which are included with that kit. Make sure they are 15x8" with 3.75" of BS on the wheels then you can clear 12:50's from the LCA's if you run them I did.

BTW where do the Metal Cloak springs come from.....China. Rustys all are American made and the shocks are included but like every basic kit they are just a white body shock work OK but are cheap and can stand to be upgraded down the road.

Originally Posted by Kurcide
The kit I listed also comes with 31" Tires/Rims.
Wouldn't it be more cost effective for me to buy the missing parts from Rusty?

Yes his Sway Bar disconnects are adjustable for "ALL" lift heights and will fit several different models. The price isn't bad either but they can be homemade also just like the transfer case drop kit both needed IMHO. You will need a track bar but do not buy Rustys cheap one, I had one a few yrs back and was unimpressed. I do have his HD Double Shear on now that I installed last year. I would suggest that no matter where you buy the track bar buy a good one and that can be used later if you go higher on lift.

As far as price for an install it depends a lot on where you live (labor rates). I had a local 2 man 4x4 Shop in business over 27 yrs. do mine. I waited while they installed it, almost 4 hrs to do the job and it cost $375.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-09-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

A 4x4 shop here use to run a special 350 for a lift installed and a alignment when they are done.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport
Engine: 4.0 6I

Originally Posted by Kurcide
Was looking to get this package (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html) with the following configuration

I have a few questions for you guys:

1) Is this a good kit? (I mainly plan to go to the beach and do some light offroading upstate.)

2) Is this a good deal overall?

3) Would you change anything in the configuration or buy anything additional? (I read about also adding a transfer case drop kit)

4) Do I need/Should I get the Sway bar quick disconnect? (I don't even really know what a sway bar is, if I have one, or if i need to get one)

5) What should I expect this to cost for installation by a shop?
I have this kit. Been installed for almost 2 years. The back sagged about an inch. $40 bucks for some blocks and about 2 hours good as new. Done some pretty extreme stuff with this kit. Nothing added suspension wise does great. Ride quality... excellent. My front sway bar doesn't exist anymore and it handles fine. Does lean on turns. But you get use to it and i have had to slam on my breaks do quick turns ect. And im fine.... anyway highly recommended.