Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting Axle Angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Adjusting Axle Angle

I have a Cherokee with a 4.5 inch superflex lift. The kit has fixed lower control arms and adjustable uppers.

I am having clearance issues with my swaybar bracket and disconnectable end link coming into contact with the "y" connection on the tie rod (upgraded ZJ piece, TRE is a little fatter) and stock drag link. With my discos off, it'll bang into the disconnect bolt while wheeling. It will also barely rub at full lock on flat ground.

It's a little bit easier to turn to the right as compared to the left on the jeep. Is it possible that the drag link could be bent? It had been in an accident on the front passenger end before I bought it. The alignment shop did not have any issues when I took it in after installing the jeep. If the axle is in spec and there are steering clearance issues, I am inclined to think that the drag link is bent (easy fix). I have an angle finder, but not sure where to measure from to check to see if its in spec.

If the axle is not in spec, I need to rotate my axle backward to spin the swaybar end link away from the steering components. Because my LCA are fixed, I will have to accomplish this by shortening my UCAs. However, there's only about a quarter inch of adjustment threads left. I'm not sure that'll be enough to move the axle. There are some drop brackets which move the fixed LCA about 1 inch forward. Would having 1 inch longer LCAs should also me to achieve the required amount of change to spin the axle back?

Thanks in advance for the help. So far, I have built this Jeep over last winter and spring and have wheeled all across Colorado solely from build advice from this forum (no in-person help).

I'll be taking this thing down Black Bear Pass, Imogene, and across the Alpine loop in mid September. I just want to make sure it's super squared away.

Last edited by FromTexasInColorado; 08-21-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Could you post a few pics so we may see the issue? That would help us determine your best course of action without guessing.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

I will post up some pictures tonight. I should have done that to begin with.